Miami Beach alternative?

jhaagens

We (family of four) are leaving on a cruise out of Miami in early April, and flying in a couple days early.  My initial plan was to Uber to a hotel in South Beach, and stay there for a couple days -- relaxing on the beach and strolling around.  I have just realized that our visit coincides with Gay pride week, and a reported 100,000+ visitors.  Which is starting to sound less relaxing and much more crowd-intensive.

Would it make sense to move further up the beach -- North Beach area?  Or...?

If beach is important to you, take a look at staying on Key Biscayne.

The big pride parade is Sunday, April 5th but other than that and massive pool parties at specific hotels, I can't imagine too much is going on at the hotels..

Where are you looking to stay?  Have you called the hotel and specifically spoken to a manager?  Most events will also be on the weekends.

I would do that before I moved my destination.  

It's the crowd aspect that I'm most concerned about. My daughter is on the autism spectrum, and I've found it generally advisable to manage crowd exposure when I can.

We haven't reserved a hotel yet, so moving it isn't really a problem. But our cruise leaves on the 4th, so perhaps we would miss the biggest crowds anyway? 

19 minutes ago, jhaagens said:

It's the crowd aspect that I'm most concerned about. My daughter is on the autism spectrum, and I've found it generally advisable to manage crowd exposure when I can.

We haven't reserved a hotel yet, so moving it isn't really a problem. But our cruise leaves on the 4th, so perhaps we would miss the biggest crowds anyway? 

If she isn't good with crowds, I'd rethink South Beach.  It's a lot.  It's noise, color, sirens, smells, people, just a lot going on.

Even if there isn't an event going on, the streets are crowded.

I'd look at Silver Sands on Key Biscayne.

On 1/22/2020 at 7:44 PM, BlueHerons said:

If she isn't good with crowds, I'd rethink South Beach.  It's a lot.  It's noise, color, sirens, smells, people, just a lot going on.

Even if there isn't an event going on, the streets are crowded.

I'd look at Silver Sands on Key Biscayne.

Silver Sands on Key Biscayne....oh my, there's a blast from the past!  My DH used to stay there as a child on weekends with his mother and sister just to get away to a beach (he lived in Coral Gables). Absolutely lovely, quiet place.