Propeller Location?

garydm

On a Vista class ship is the propeller (or propellers) at the very aft point on the ship or set forward a bit? Is there a "sweet spot" aft that is relatively vibration free? Thanks in advance to the engineering types among you.

Gary

On a Vista class ship is the propeller (or propellers) at the very aft point on the ship or set forward a bit? Is there a "sweet spot" aft that is relatively vibration free? Thanks in advance to the engineering types among you.

Gary

The propulsion pods are located in roughly the same location under the stern where you would normally find the propellers.

As for 'sweet spot'... that would be entirely guess work until you can go aboard and check out for yourself.

Stephen

Propeller Location?

They usually put them in the water. ;) (yuck yuck yuck yuck)

Is there a "sweet spot" aft that is relatively vibration free?

I would have thought that it was the vibration that made the sweet spot so sweet.

They usually put them in the water. ;) (yuck yuck yuck yuck)

I would have thought that it was the vibration that made the sweet spot so sweet.

That was the funniest reply I've read in weeks. I can't stop laughing :D :D :D

That was the funniest reply I've read in weeks. I can't stop laughing

I was in a giddy mood pre-worship this morning. :) Not sure why, except that I hadn't had much sleep the night before. I'm sometimes at my funniest when I'm tired. :D Glad you got a good laugh.

Greg-We ventured out on 3 Crystal cruises this last year as a departure from HAL and found real vibration problems on each-something we had not experienced on HAL. This was not the rock you to sleep vibration but teeth chattering stuff when they put the pedal to the metal. Hence, my question. Now that you have had your yucks, how about some advice.

Gary

Brian-Thanks. Been there, done that, and the world was good, but see some great deals on the aft suites, but concerned about rockin' and rollin'.

Gary

If you want an aft corner suite, you can pretty much be sure to feel the vibrations and any movement if the seas are rough...

Greg-We ventured out on 3 Crystal cruises this last year as a departure from HAL and found real vibration problems on each-something we had not experienced on HAL. This was not the rock you to sleep vibration but teeth chattering stuff when they put the pedal to the metal. Hence, my question. Now that you have had your yucks, how about some advice.

Gee ... sorry if my levity upset you.

Frankly, I've never had a cabin on a Vista anywhere other than slightly forward of midships. There was no vibration there. Otherwise, cannot help.

You should experience less virbration with the Isopod verus a standard propeller and shaft system. Virbration is usually when speed is increased above normal cruising speed and this normally occurs on any ship with conventional propeller shaft.

On my one and only cruise the Statendam had a big chunk missing from her left (port) propeller (screw) blade (fluke). The live (vibration) spot on lido deck was by the Dolphin bar in the smoking area port side. I recall the movie Papailion where he was chained to a catwalk that was struck by the propeller shaft at each revolution. The Statendam does not have pods, she has conventional propellers and rudders. Built in 1992 she is the first of the S class. My guess is she went to Easter Island for repairs on her repositioning cruise.

On my one and only cruise the Statendam had a big chunk missing from her left (port) propeller (screw) blade (fluke). The live (vibration) spot on lido deck was by the Dolphin bar in the smoking area port side. I recall the movie Papailion where he was chained to a catwalk that was struck by the propeller shaft at each revolution. The Statendam does not have pods, she has conventional propellers and rudders. Built in 1992 she is the first of the S class. My guess is she went to Easter Island for repairs on her repositioning cruise.

Archived