Travel Insurance and Epidemics

Cb2534

Question that has me confused.  
Most insurance would cover a cancel of a cruise if advisory is issued but not refund if the cruise is offering a credit. So if airline gives a credit but has an expiry date of September and you can not use it by September,  would insurance give refund ? 

I’ve been trying to find the answer to this question as well.  Yesterday I read the Benefits Guide to my Chase Sapphire card. The language indicated that it would cover any unused non-refundable expenses including air. It would not cover any tickets that were voluntarily surrendered before expiration. 

That makes me think that it would cover any unused credit held to expiration. I have not called to ask for clarification because I do not have any travel planned at present. I can’t speak to what other travel insurance would cover. It is not clear in the few policies I have looked at.

The fact remains that a credit for air fare is a loss if you can’t use it. Or a cruise, for that matter.

The best thing to do is call the insurer. If I were buying insurance today, I would certainly ask especially if you have to insure all costs to get pre-existing condition waiver.

26 minutes ago, Babr said:

I’ve been trying to find the answer to this question as well.  Yesterday I read the Benefits Guide to my Chase Sapphire card. The language indicated that it would cover any unused non-refundable expenses including air. It would not cover any tickets that were voluntarily surrendered before expiration. 

That makes me think that it would cover any unused credit held to expiration. I have not called to ask for clarification because I do not have any travel planned at present. I can’t speak to what other travel insurance would cover. It is not clear in the few policies I have looked at.

The fact remains that a credit for air fare is a loss if you can’t use it. Or a cruise, for that matter.

The best thing to do is call the insurer. If I were buying insurance today, I would certainly ask especially if you have to insure all costs to get pre-existing condition waiver.

I think u are correct. Insurers are a business so an expiration date is not their issue as long as we are issued a credit, I’m sure insurances are off the hook to reimburse. Technically, it wouldn’t be considered non refundable I guess - southwest air issues credits but they expire from time u booked - 1 year -ugh

Most people buy non-refundable air because it is less expensive. But airlines routinely charge a change fee then give the rest as a credit to be used in one year. Technically it is still a non-refundable fare. If insurance covers unused, non-refundable expenses, then an expired credit should qualify for reimbursement. The exception was tickets voluntarily surrendered before expiration. I don’t know why anyone would do that unless they were getting a cash refund.

At least, that is my logic, but it doesn’t mean that is the way insurance sees it.

Ya Southwest has it one year from the date you purchased.  So if I cancelled tomorrow, it expires September. And u have to complete travel by September so I would not use this air. I would use it for next March though