American Airlines to Hawaii?

Shami

I recently booked 6 of us on American Airlines to Honolulu from Newark, NJ with a stopover in Dallas. Has anyone been on AA's MD-80? I am disappointed that they only have food for purchase. Is it worth it or should we bring our own on board? Also, do they have movies or video games in the seats(I heard that Continental does after I booked)?

Thanks for your help!

I would bring my own food. The buy on board they offer isn't bad, but you can easily bring chips and cookies yourself.

On your Dallas to Honolulu flight you should have 757 or better which will offer a movie on board (but they charge $2 for headsets.....bring your own). Your Newark flight will be an MD80 which has no entertainment. Nap time on this flight.

From having flown a couple of trans-continental routes on American lately, here's what I can tell you about the planes:

-757: a generally uncomfortable plane. Seating is in a 3-3 configuation. The only good thing is that some seats have a power port underneath them so you can plug in a computer or other device. Leg room is tight (31 inches pitch) and seats are not much more comfortable. The entertainment is a schedule of TV features, a movie, and some CBS sitcoms. There also is 9-channel audio entertainment available at each seat. I flew this from JFK-San Diego and it was not a pleasant flight.

-MD80. A little more comfortable, seating is in a 2-3 configuration. The engines are at the rear so most of the plane has a quiet ride. The entertainment options are the same as on the 757 as far as I've heard.

For this, I'd bring along my own entertainment if you have a portable DVD device. Just don't expect too much from American and you should have an enjoyable flight (or at least as enjoyable it can get now on American). Check out seatguru.com for a detailed seat map for both types of planes.

jeff

I recently booked 6 of us on American Airlines to Honolulu from Newark, NJ with a stopover in Dallas. Has anyone been on AA's MD-80? I am disappointed that they only have food for purchase. Is it worth it or should we bring our own on board? Also, do they have movies or video games in the seats(I heard that Continental does after I booked)?

Thanks for your help!

It sure is easier to buy the stuff at the gate, rather than standing in line to order and having to carry it through the airport. The sandwiches (croissants) are pretty good. Cash only, no credit or debit cards.

There will be a couple of movies on the DFW/HNL flight. CBS comedies and documentary stuff on EWR/DFW. You will have to purchase a headset or bring your own.

If you are flying EWR/DFW/HNL, you could have either 757 or MD-80 service to Dallas, then 763 service to HNL. MD-80 have more power ports than 757, but the 757 AA planes (NOT the TWA planes) have some power ports. As

JJPNYC stated, check seatguru.com to find the power ports before you pick your seats.

I personally do not like the 757's. The overheads are too small for my rollerboard, even in first. But a 757 sure beats flying a 737 or regional jet for any flight over 1.5 hours.

Archived