Second time in Geiranger, what can we do?

ela05

Hi, we'll be in Geiranger in august with the Brilliance OTS, we've been cruising there years ago and we had a wonderful day trip from Hellesylt to Geiranger so we've already seen Mt. Dalsnibba and Gamle Strynefjellsvegen, Lake Djupvatn...we are not likely to have a guided tour this time, we would just like to hike somewhere (or rent a car, but it seems like there's no car available...), anybody ever did something like that? Thank you!

There are several hikes you can do easily from the port. The hiking map is available from http://www.geirangerfjord.no/upload/pdf/turkart.pdf and printed copies are available from the tourist info.

The main trailhead is along the main road just past the Hotel Union (use the path up to the churchyard to skip the switchbacks in the road). This is the beginning of the trail up to the Vesterås Gård farm (route A on the map). It's a 2km steady uphill climb, but it's a straightforward and usually well-maintained trail. Vesterås Gård has some nice views of the surrounding valley and hills, and from there you can choose between a few other trail routes.

The simplest is a short walk along the farm road (route B) to the Vesteråsfjellet overlook with a nice fjord view. Turning uphill from the road is the trail (route C) to the Løsta fjord viewpoint. This trail is a bit more challenging as it's another uphill climb on a less-used trail. I've only done it once, in early June, and there were a few muddy patches to avoid.

While I personally like to enjoy the fjord scenery in Geiranger, if you're inclined to do something different, you can leave from the other end of Vesterås Gård and hike (route D) up to the Storseterfossen waterfall. While it doesn't afford much of a fjord view, this hike has does have some nice views of the mountains and the upper valleys, and it's popular since you can walk behind the waterfall.

• Like 1

As per Kaisatsu above.  Last year we walked from the port up to the Storseterfossen waterfall between points D and E on the map.  A good walk - took about 1.5 hours to get up.  Some great views from the top but make sure to walk down the path that takes you behind the waterfall. On the way back we went past the Fjord center and walked along the boardwalk by the cascading waterfalls which brings you back to the port area.  From the port we used the path marked with the K on the map until it reached path A.  

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 9:29 AM, just_dont said:

You could rent an electric Twizzy car at the port.
It's a tiny one-seat car with a very small back seat.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

These looked like a lot of fun!  We were thinking we would do this if we ever went there again.

On 1/30/2020 at 3:29 PM, just_dont said:

You could rent an electric Twizzy car at the port.
It's a tiny one-seat car with a very small back seat.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thank you, but it's me, my husband, and our 15 year old daughter...so we should rent two cars, and I've seen they look quite expensive...

Adam and kaisatsu, that's exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!