Bed Guards

crimson moon

My wife and I have sailed many times with P & O as a couple, however, this summer we are travelling with our daughter, son in law and granddaughter who will be seven for the first time.

DD has booked a stateroom with an upper Pullman but is a little concerned that as our granddaughter is a bit of a wriggler in her sleep she may slip beyond the bed guard.

I know that extra bed guards can be obtained but my question is do we need to request one prior to sailing or do we just ask the cabin steward when we board? 

TIA

9 minutes ago, crimson moon said:

My wife and I have sailed many times with P & O as a couple, however, this summer we are travelling with our daughter, son in law and granddaughter who will be seven for the first time.

DD has booked a stateroom with an upper Pullman but is a little concerned that as our granddaughter is a bit of a wriggler in her sleep she may slip beyond the bed guard.

I know that extra bed guards can be obtained but my question is do we need to request one prior to sailing or do we just ask the cabin steward when we board? 

TIA

If you are concerned then why not let  one of the adults sleep in the upper berth. They are perfectly safe for adults under 20 stone, please see an extract from the FAQs below.

“There are no weight restrictions on the upper pullmans, however there is a weight restriction on the bunk ladder of 130 kg which is approximately 20 Stone.”

35 minutes ago, crimson moon said:

TIA

IIRC your granddaughter would have to wriggle right down the bed to escape the bed guard. I seem to remember that they run all along the side apart from where you put the ladder. Now if it's throwing pillows overboard in his sleep as my son did... I had many a rude awakening!

It is best to book one in advance by calling or emailing your travel agent or P&O, to guarantee availability.  The cabin steward will then fit it each night when he or she makes up the bed.  If you find you don't need it after all the cabin steward will happily remove it from your cabin for you.

There is a gap at the side where the ladder goes, this can be plugged with a pillow, but if she wriggles a lot it won't stop her if she is small.

There is also a gap at the bottom of the bed and a gap at the top. A pillow stuffed under the edge of mattress is enough to tilt it towards the wall.

Photo of upper bunk on Princess ship, but similar to many P&O

Pullman.jpg