ShipWreck Beach Bar & Grill, St Kitts.

Paula B

We are planning on being in St. Kitts in March. I had read that there was a possibility that they would be closing about a year ago. Has anyone been there recently or have any new information that they are still there and open for business. Than you. 

We have been burned by drivers not returning to pick us up at Shipwreck twice. Last time there was one driver who had just dropped off a group of 4 and apparently was waiting for them and we asked if he'd take us back to the ship. He looked a bit annoyed but took us. Next time we go, if the driver doesn't show at the agreed time, we're walking over to Carambola and taking one there. There's always a few around there, more readily available than at Shipwreck.

How far of a walk is Carambola? Do we just walk down the road or down the beach to get a taxi? We've never been to the beaches at St. Kitts so we aren't familiar with the layout and want to cover our bases before we go with back-up plans. How far away from the dock is Shipwreck? Thank you

I have been to Shipwreck many times over the years. I have seen drivers come looking for their passengers that they have dropped off and the people have left with another taxi. Probably would be before securing the services of a taxi to agree to pay them upon your return to the port area. 

18 hours ago, Paula B said:

How far of a walk is Carambola? Do we just walk down the road or down the beach to get a taxi? We've never been to the beaches at St. Kitts so we aren't familiar with the layout and want to cover our bases before we go with back-up plans. How far away from the dock is Shipwreck? Thank you

The best way (and honestly the only way I'd recommend) to walk between Shipwreck and Carambola is along the beach. It's maybe a 10 minute walk along the sand. You can see one club from the other. Shipwreck is about 15 minutes by taxi from the port and, at least during the times we've been there, traffic has not been an issue at all.

6 hours ago, paul58 said:

I have been to Shipwreck many times over the years. I have seen drivers come looking for their passengers that they have dropped off and the people have left with another taxi. Probably would be before securing the services of a taxi to agree to pay them upon your return to the port area. 

I will try it this way the next time we visit. We waited for about 45 minutes after our agreed pick-up time before talking to another driver and didn't even see him anywhere along the way when we headed back to the ship.

We really want to go to Shipwreck and relax and enjoy the beach. I just don't want to worry about getting back to the ship and need a back plan. If you take a taxi there do you tell them up front you will pay them on the return or wait until they drop us off. Do they get upset?

Been here in May the last two years.  Probably my favorite bar in all of the Caribbean.  $5 tasty rum drinks and really darn good food.  Free use of chairs and plenty of natural shade and functional restrooms.  Really decent snorkeling.  It is kind of rustic but by no means is it in bad shape.  Service speed depends on how busy they are.  Sometimes its quick and sometimes its slow, if you are easily agitated with the “island time” then maybe go some where fancier.  Only $4pp to get there (with minimum 4 people)

My advice:

1.  Unless you are a guaranteed full taxi ride, don’t depend on your driver returning.  There will be plenty of drivers going back and forth because the food is the best tasting and most reasonably cost amongst the beach clubs in this area and they get their lunch there.  Don’t prepay for a return trip, ask the driver to come back at a certain time and if they don’t just catch another driver.

2.  If you are the only ship in port, you will likely find a nice spot at any time.  If there are 2 or more ships, consider going earlier to get a good spot under the shade.

3.  Bring water shoes . . . The beach here does have urchins on the floor and you want to avoid stepping on them.

4.  Just enjoy the day.  Really good people here and there are many places on a Caribbean cruise that will charge many times more than what you will spend here and can’t come close to the ambiance this place has.