Seward

mmo

Any suggestions on places to stay overnight in Seward? My husband and I were thinking of flying in to Anchorage and taking a train there, spending night, then doing Kenai Fjords trip early morning and some other excursion before going back to Anchorage and hopefully up to the Denali area. Is it possible to do w/o renting a car, using train only? I mean, are there buses or shuttle services to use instead? Thanks (again) !!

You need to decide what kind of place and in what area of Seward you want to stay at. There is the small boat harbor area which is close to the train depot and where the wildlife cruises leave from.Holiday Inn, Breeze motel,Marina motel.

Downtown Seward has the Sealife center,library,a museum,movie theatre and also a choice ranging from a haunted hotel (Van Gilder) to hostel type,(Swan's nest and Moby Dicks), also the Edgewater and Seward Hotel.Both areas have restaurants and gift shops. 1.5 miles between the two. A nice scenic walk along the waterfront connects both or straight shot(but not flat) on 4th.

Harborview and Murphy's motel are located in the middle along with many many B&B's all over the place. Windsong is out of town and also many cabin more rustic type places.

$5 taxi rides around town http://www.pjstaxi.com and they will also bring you out to Exit Glacier which is worth a visit.They have free ranger lead hikes everyday.Moose,goats,and both black and brown bears are often seen.

My favorite place to recommend is http://www.alaskasaltwaterlodge.com It's located out on Lowell point,2 miles south of town.The lodge is right on the beach with kayaking,fishing etc available out your door.They also do wildlife viewing and fishing charters.

You have a great plan started and I'll be more than happy to help in anyway I can. :)

I agree, Seward w/o a car is well worth a trip from Anchorage. In May we're actually getting off the Summit; going on the all day boat tour thru the Salwater Lodge and staying there for the night. We're then taking the Alaskan RR back to Anchorage at 6pm the next night. I am really looking forward to this portion of our trip! Last year we were on a cruisetour and only spent enough time in Seward for the SeaLife Center...I knew then I just had to return! By the way, they say the train to/from Anchorage to Seward is the most beautiful portion on the whole line. If that's true, we sure loved the rest of the line, so we're all in for a great 3 hours on the train to/from Anchorage!

If you have no mobilty impairments, Seward is a great walking city. Plenty to see along the way. lodging listings www.sewardak.org

The Alaska RR Seward/Anchorage portion IS THE MOST SCENIC of the entire line. For clairfication it is over 4 hours.

Thanks Budget Queen for the clarification. Math was never a strong point for me, but 6PM to 10:15PM shouldn't be that hard:confused:! Daaah!

Archived