Our Holland America vs Seabourn experience.

whogo

6 hours ago, mancunian said:

We do however like both Oceania and Viking.  Just come back from our first Viking cruise and very impressed.  Both these lines are possible for you if you want to upgrade from HAL.   Viking gives you free wine at lunch and dinner which is quite sufficient for many people plus included speciality teas and coffees.  it was also the most attractive ship I have been on except for Marina and Riviera which are also excellent designs.

Food is so objective but I totally agree with you about Viking Ocean ships. I absolutely like them the best of any ship I've been on. I thought the food was average at bst but didn't care because the ship and everything else was so excellent.  Overall, in my opinion, Oceania has it all. Great ships, service and food!

2 hours ago, molemaui said:

Overall, in my opinion, Oceania has it all. Great ships, service and food!

Sadly, that wasn’t our experience.  The first time I was happy to get off a ship.

Our efforts to express our issues with the top dogs were met with disdain.  We won’t be back.  Once bitten, twice shy. 😉 

I’d be more inclined to try Seabourn or another luxury line if I were to spend the big $$$ again. 😉 

• Like 1

We have many, many days on HAL but have now been an a few Seabourn Cruises (including Antarctica in Jan 2019) ... our HAL loyalty is shifting but we are having to settle for fewer cruises due to cost. 

We are not not big drinkers - at most one a day - but for us that is not the only perk that creates value for the dollars spent for us on Seabourn (in addition to the delightfully small ship size, the over the top service, no tipping, everything included) - I am lactose intolerant. On HAL I have to order meals the night before and do not always get good choices. On Seabourn they cook to order and the chefs are creative so I can decide what I will eat when I am hungry for my meal and I am always well fed.  To me that is a big perk. I understand why HAL does it the way that they do - not only because of cost but because of the much larger numbers of passengers on board. 

I will always have a warm spot in my heart for HAL and the many wonderful days we have had on board with them - but we do miss many of the things they have scaled back in the past few years and we also miss the smaller ships.  We still, however,  will occasionally grab a ride with HAL.

• Like 2