Has anyone booked SF departures and why?

Gr8Mariner

We haven't sailed Carnival in 15 years but we've booked 2 cruises in the next 6 months.  The port is about 30 miles from my house.  We also pay about half of what we did sailing with Princess.  I'm thrilled they brought a ship up to SF.

Departing from San Francisco was 100% what got us interested in booking a cruise for 2020.  We had planned on an Carnival Alaskan cruise sometime in the next couple of years, but having to leave from Seattle sure put a damper on my motivation to book the cruise since that would require flying.

In March 2019, we happened upon an article announcing that Carnival would start offering cruises departing from San Francisco.  Having read that, we first booked a 10-day Alaskan cruise from San Francisco... then a week later, a 16-day Hawaiian cruise... then a 6-day May California coast/mexican cruise -- all because the ships depart from San Francisco, which is a short 30 commuter train ride from our home.

So with 3 cruises booked, and it being a new year... and having the cruise bug back that we had during 2004 - 2007, we booked three more cruise for 2021.  The first is a 7-day Mexican Riviera cruise.  This leaves out of Long Beach, which is about a 5.5 hour drive for us.  I really wish Carnival offered a 10-day Mexican Riviera cruise out of San Francisco -- I would jump on it. But also looking forward to cruising on the new Panorama out of Long Beach, so worth the drive down.

We had been talking for a couple years about visiting New Orleans for a 4 or 5 night vacation.  But now that the cruise bug had gotten hold of us, we thought why not add a cruise from New Orleans during the same trip.  Better yet, why not add two cruises from New Orleans... and even better, make them a B2B cruise.  So we also booked two different New Orleans Western Caribbean itineraries for our B2B.

All this because Carnival offered cruises departing from San Francisco.  

• Like 1

Absolutely!  It’s only 60-90 minutes away from home, and we visit the city every month or so anyway. It’s beautiful. Don’t listen to the bashers. 

We are sailing on the Miracle 5/7-11. That will hold us over until our aft wrap Havana balcony cruise on Panorama in October. Super excited for both!

Me and the Mrs are wanting to do some cruises from SF as well. Long Beach is great but the 5-5.5 hour drives there and back are not something we enjoy. SF is much closer for us and we look there first but they have limited sailings unfortunately. The Hawaiian cruise out of there is just about my perfect cruise and is on the top of my list right now. 

Edited by cruisingguy007

I switched our standing reservation for San Diego-Hawaii in Feb. 2021 to the same cruise in September out of SF, primarily because it would allow us to cruise on our birthdays. 🥳 It was a $300 upcharge counting the change fee, but not only do we get to celebrate, we get an extra sea day and a bit more time to pay everything off.