Embarkation Barbados - a question?

YORKI1

Just to clarify, time is not the issue. 

According to P & O, “each passenger aged 18 and older can bring with them 1 litre of alcohol as they embark the ship for the first time only”.

Is it possible to visit the shops before I board the ship for the first time?

Thank you.

No I don’t think so - coach from the airport pulls up at ship & you need to pass through security with your hand luggage. What about buying Champagne at airport duty free before you fly?  We looked at duty free shops at Barbados port & didn’t find them cheap!

56 minutes ago, Hobson1754 said:

No I don’t think so - coach from the airport pulls up at ship & you need to pass through security with your hand luggage. What about buying Champagne at airport duty free before you fly?  We looked at duty free shops at Barbados port & didn’t find them cheap!

Thank you. I will probably have to buy at the airport before we fly. Problem is we are only allowed 1 x 5k of hand luggage each and depending on how full the flight is this allowance is enforced. 

35 minutes ago, YORKI1 said:

Thank you. I will probably have to buy at the airport before we fly. Problem is we are only allowed 1 x 5k of hand luggage each and depending on how full the flight is this allowance is enforced. 

We bought a litre bottle of gin at airport and put it in my tote bag -  nobody gave us a second glance but maybe we were lucky.

4 hours ago, YORKI1 said:

Yes but once you are in the duty free you have already checked in so anything you buy is not counted.

13 hours ago, happy v said:

Yes but once you are in the duty free you have already checked in so anything you buy is not counted.

Rubbish. It’s a hand luggage allowance for the flight and anything you buy in duty free should be within the allowance. For various reasons this is not generally enforced when you board the aircraft, although I have seen people that have gone over the top in duty free and have had there hand luggage placed in the hold.

On 2/10/2020 at 3:49 PM, YORKI1 said:

Just to clarify, time is not the issue. 

According to P & O, “each passenger aged 18 and older can bring with them 1 litre of alcohol as they embark the ship for the first time only”.

Is it possible to visit the shops before I board the ship for the first time?

Thank you.

An interesting one.

Coaches meet the charter flights on the tarmac and transport you to the port where they take you direct to the onshore embarkation facility, from which you board the ship for the first time. You go through security there rather than on the ship. Once onboard, you are free to go ashore and to the shops in the terminal building. On returning to the ship, you go through the same building and security as those embarking the ship for the first time and the security people will not know or care to which group you belong; you show your pass on entering the facility and on boarding the ship, not in security itself. So if you return with a bottle you will be able to take it onto the ship unimpeded as the onboard desk for surrendering illicit booze does not operate on embarkation days.

9 hours ago, YORKI1 said:

Rubbish. It’s a hand luggage allowance for the flight and anything you buy in duty free should be within the allowance. For various reasons this is not generally enforced when you board the aircraft, although I have seen people that have gone over the top in duty free and have had there hand luggage placed in the hold.

Suit yourself then! I don't care, I was just trying to be helpful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Denarius said:

An interesting one.

Coaches meet the charter flights on the tarmac and transport you to the port where they take you direct to the onshore embarkation facility, from which you board the ship for the first time. You go through security there rather than on the ship. Once onboard, you are free to go ashore and to the shops in the terminal building. On returning to the ship, you go through the same building and security as those embarking the ship for the first time and the security people will not know or care to which group you belong; you show your pass on entering the facility and on boarding the ship, not in security itself. So if you return with a bottle you will be able to take it onto the ship unimpeded as the onboard desk for surrendering illicit booze does not operate on embarkation days.

Thank you, that’s helpful.

On 2/9/2020 at 10:20 PM, YORKI1 said:

We fly with Tui to Barbados on Saturday for a 14 night cruise on Britannia. Can I visit the shops, in the port area, to buy champagne before boarding the ship?

Thank you.

Have flown to Barbados for years to pick up a Ship and have always taken our Champagne from Duty Free as well as hand luggage.  Never a problem on embarkation.

Have also at times gone into the terminal building and bought drink and took it on to the Ship (we did this for friends who were arriving on a later flight.