Is Olife worth the price?

Bxboy

11 hours ago, Bxboy said:

We are on Venice to Rome in October this year and wondering if the price paid for all life is worth the cost?

well  your actually  paying  the difference. $$$.. 

However it might be a small advantage if you took the tours option. 

Port heavy , the  liquor package would not be all that great unless you can pound down 6+ drinks a night after returning to the ship each day.   

The OBC  is just the difference you pay in the fare...its  your money that they use !

Me, I would  not take the O  option  and book private tours, drink when I want  and control  my expenses in several directions not focused  on just 1

21 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

well  your actually  paying  the difference. $$$.. 

However it might be a small advantage if you took the tours option. 

Port heavy , the  liquor package would not be all that great unless you can pound down 6+ drinks a night after returning to the ship each day.   

The OBC  is just the difference you pay in the fare...its  your money that they use !

Me, I would  not take the O  option  and book private tours, drink when I want  and control  my expenses in several directions not focused  on just 1

Exactly what we have learned to do.  We do initially include OLife when we book a cruise and elect excursions, then shop for private tours.  We usually find enough private tours that are better value than the OLife offerings, so before final payment is due we advise our TA to op out of OLife and reduce our balance due, the same amount as the OBC.  It’s a nobrainer when one of the couple is a non drinker.

3 hours ago, Bxboy said:

I did not know you can get Olife without the air. How do they determine the price for that?

It is the amount of the OBC that they charge you.... then offer you your money back  like it is from them.

Well it is from them...but only after you give then the money so they can give it back to you  and pretend it is a gift .....pretty slick !

Edited by Hawaiidan

28 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

They didn't play games with OBC or "rebate" or "gift" with us. We obtained the quote without air, then booked the itinerary. No surprises.

Rob...if you booked the cruise without Olife  then fine.. 

However, if you booked the cruise without air  but took Olife , then the fare you paid  was the cruise fare + the OBC offer. in O life....... You paid extra for them to take your money and give it back to you as a O life benifit......  Did you understand that you paid the additional $ for your OBC ?

I have booked Olife and selected the drink package on my last several Oceania cruises.  That worked out as a better deal than opting out of Olife and paying for the beverage package separately.  The drink package is best if you have several sea days or short port days when you may be back on the ship for lunch, as on my last cruise in the Caribbean and a prior Transatlantic crossing with 11 sea days.  If you want to take ship excursions, that option is also good.  It pays to do the math and see what works for you.  Have a great cruise!

• Like 2

On 2/13/2020 at 2:05 AM, Bxboy said:

We are on Venice to Rome in October this year and wondering if the price paid for all life is worth the cost?

Bxboy - welcome to CC and Oceania forum. Since you only have 4 posts, it’s fair to assume that you are new to CC and are not familiar with search functions, etc.

The O Life option has been discussed here extensively and you can try to search for threads discussing this topic.

I will try to summarize it.

First - O Life option is its own entity and has nothing to do with air or cruise fare - you can purchase it or not.

If one purchases O Life you have to choose one of 3 options:

1 OBC

2 Excursions

3 Drinks package

I will give an example of an O Life package - 

1 $400 OBC

2 4 shore excursions per cabin (2/pp)

3 drinks package

OBC option is a foolish choice - in this example your cruise will cost you $400 more to purchase O Life. You are paying this $400 1 year ahead of the time only to get it back as OBC a year later (and then must find ways to spend it) - why would anyone do that.

I cannot comment on drinks package option as we don’t drink. You would have to do the math based on how much you two drink - would it be over $400. If so, then it’s a good deal (Twiga above feels it is a good deal)

For us the excursion package is the best value. You are paying $400 for 4 excursions and most of Oceania excursions are well above $100 (up to $199) - you can almost double your investment choosing the most expensive excursions that are bookable for O Life (no OE, OS excursions). Some people do not like cruise ship excursions and do their own - for them this is not a good option.

If none of the 3 options make financial sense for you then do not add O Life to your cruise.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1