Project Genesis ship ordered - 220,000 GRT, delivery autumn 2009

[quote name='DHADEN']I just saw an announcement on the news about this ship. They say it will carry [SIZE=4]6,400 [/SIZE][SIZE=2]passengers, not 5400. That's a passenger / space ratio of 34.38, and that's not even including the crew/staff (will that add another 2,000???):o [/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]no thank you.....:cool: [/SIZE][/quote]

That is the Full Capacity. The double occupancy, (The number they figure the space/passenger ratio) is (or at this time is) 5400.

Rccl has been Huge on the Guest/space ratio, so I don't see them doing anything other than catering to that aspect.

Let's not count our chickens before they have hatched. All day I have been reading about people bashing the amenities of the ship, the public spaces, etc etc and all that has been released is the SIZE.

Do I intend to go on this ship, HECK YA! If it is too crowded will I go again, of course not.

Scott

we would love to try this new ship- love the voyager class so will love this too- more to do and more places to go onboard- larger rooms and balconys- more pools, more restaurants and an enhanced promenade - can't wait !!!!!! Genesis, here we come....................only 3 1/2 yrs to wait.

Well since it's the size of an Aircraft carrier (larger than the Nimitz clas according to MSNBC) does this mean it will have it's own flotilla task force?:)

Interesting to compare. From http://www.nol.navy.mil/homepages/cvn68/shipsstatistics.htm we get:

USS Nimitz
Keel Laid: June 22, 1968
Launched: May 13, 1972
Commissioned: May 3, 1975
Propulsion system: Two nuclear power plants
Main Engines: Four
Speed: 30+ Knots
Propellers: Four
Blades on each Propeller: Five
Aircraft elevators: Four
Catapults: Four
Arresting gear cables: Four
Overall length: 1,092 feet
Overall width: 252 feet
Beam at waterline: 134 feet
Area of flight deck: About 4.5 acres
Full load displacement: About 95,000 tons
Accommodations: About 6,000 persons

Notes of Interest

- Nimitz reaches over 18 stories high from the keel
to the top of the mast.
- The Hangar Bay extends for most of the ship's
length. It is used for major repair and shelters the
aircraft not needed for that day's flight schedule.
- Four distilling units enable Nimitz engineers to
make over 400,000 gallons of fresh water a day, for
use by the propulsion plants, catapults and crew.
- Nimitz' Food Services Department provides
18,000-20,000 meals a day.
- Nimitz can stock at least 70 days of refrigerated
and dry storage goods.
- Literally tons of wash are done every day by
Nimitz' laundry, dry cleaning and tailoring services
personnel.
- Nimitz' one barber shop trims over 1,500 heads
each week.
- The Post Office processes more than one million
pounds of mail each year.
- The ship has a fully-equipped dental facility,
staffed by five dentists.
- The Medical Department is manned by six doctors,
including a general surgeon, who provide everything
from surgery to hydro-therapy. The ship also
featuresa 53-bed hospital ward, a three bed ICU, and
acts as the hospital ship for the entire Nimitz
battle group.
- Nimitz' three chaplains conduct daily religious
services in an interdenominational chapel.
- Nuclear power allows the ship to store 50 percent
more ammunition and almost twice as much aviation
fuel as the largest conventional carrier.

Remember, "Displacement" and "Gross Registered Tonnage" are two completely different measurements.

Nimitz is undoubtedly faster than any major cruise ship, they won't tell you how fast she can really go.

I don't think a cruise ship can store 70 days worth of food! ha ha ha!!

All in all, I think Nimitz can do quite a few more things than any cruise ship! ;)

Theron

Remember, "Displacement" and "Gross Registered Tonnage" are two completely different measurements.

Nimitz is undoubtedly faster than any major cruise ship, they won't tell you how fast she can really go.

I don't think a cruise ship can store 70 days worth of food! ha ha ha!!

All in all, I think Nimitz can do quite a few more things than any cruise ship! ;)

Theron

Well, we know it has a bigger sun deck, but how many swimming pools does the Nimitz have?

Also, can the passengers wear jeans on casual night?

Well, we know it has a bigger sun deck, but how many swimming pools does the Nimitz have?

Yes, a 4.5 acre sun deck... but the gnats are big and very loud! :)

Also, can the passengers wear jeans on casual night?

Oh, there's LOTS of denim on a Navy ship!

:D

Theron

Well, it's now official, the Muckidie mucks at RCI have gone completely insane. Here's just a couple of things to look forward to:

1. 2000 little cookie crumblers onboard at a time

2. 4 hour wait to tender, probably at every port because of the size of the ship.

3. Real TV dinners in the dining room.

4. 6 hours to clear the ship when returning to port.

5. 8:00 p.m. boarding time (see above)

6. The Mayo clinic for an infirmary, can anyone say Norwalk??

9. Que lines to get a lounge chair.

10 If the da*n thing starts to sink, they'll have to call and aircraft carrier to handle all the people in life boats.

Get serious, bigger is not better.

Why not just buy two or three smaller, all balcony, all suite, adults only ships?? Naw, makes too much sense.........

Aubie

Well, it's now official, the Muckidie mucks at RCI have gone completely insane. Here's just a couple of things to look forward to:

1. 2000 little cookie crumblers onboard at a time

2. 4 hour wait to tender, probably at every port because of the size of the ship.

3. Real TV dinners in the dining room.

4. 6 hours to clear the ship when returning to port.

5. 8:00 p.m. boarding time (see above)

6. The Mayo clinic for an infirmary, can anyone say Norwalk??

9. Que lines to get a lounge chair.

10 If the da*n thing starts to sink, they'll have to call and aircraft carrier to handle all the people in life boats.

Get serious, bigger is not better.

Why not just buy two or three smaller, all balcony, all suite, adults only ships?? Naw, makes too much sense.........

Aubie

Thank you, Aubie!!!

I agree wholy. The cruiselines of course prefer to get as many people on as few ships possible because of fuel, their largest expense (yes even more than the $$$ billion cost of the ship). At least the Voyager classes have a passenger/space ratio of 44.96 (or 32.57 with crew added in). This thing will have passenger /space ratio of 34.38 (or a miserable 26.19 with crew added in). That is considered VERY CROWDED!

Galleria of the Seas!

Here's why: It's just like the Houston Galleria.

There is a skating rink.

Hotel rooms look in on the shopping area.

There is a selection of dining options.

There is a place to work out.

There is a place to dump the kids.

Rich people go there to display their conspicuous wealth.

There are way too many children and teens roaming around, even on school days.

You can spend a week in the thing and never find your way outside.

It is serviced by a staff of foreigners earning shamefully poor pay with no benefits.

The only thing Galleria of the Seas offers that Houston Galleria doesn't is the potential for seasickness.

At least the Voyager classes have a passenger/space ratio of 44.96 (or 32.57 with crew added in). This thing will have passenger /space ratio of 34.38 (or a miserable 26.19 with crew added in). That is considered VERY CROWDED!
You need to check your info again because it is not quite accurate. I don't want false information getting out here.

Good grief people, if you don't want to cruise on the ship, you don't have to.

As to the space ratio (which is computed at two per cabin), the current info is 220,000 GRT divided by 5400 passengers = 40.74. It is not great, but it is also not bad. The Voyager and Radiance class have a bigger space ratio, the Vision and Sovereign class have a smaller space ratio.

Nonetheless, if the ship is not going to be ready until 2009, then likely they will not start building it until 2007, which means that there is plenty of time for design changes, which could result in a higher (or lower) space ratio. Until they start building it, we are not going to really know what the space ratio is.

For those who do not like ships that are too big for the Panama Canal, I am sure the Radiance and Vision class ships will be around for a while. Pick the ship you like. I am sure RCI would not invest the money it takes to build this ship if they did not believe they could fill it, and keep filling it.

Why would someone choose to cruise on a line that is family oriented, then complain about the kids. If you don't want kids on your cruise, go with Celebrity, or Seabourn, or any of the other lines that are less family friendly. Expecting Royal Caribbean to have an adult only ship or cruise is not realistic.

Good grief people, if you don't want to cruise on the ship, you don't have to.

As to the space ratio (which is computed at two per cabin), the current info is 220,000 GRT divided by 5400 passengers = 40.74. It is not great, but it is also not bad. The Voyager and Radiance class have a bigger space ratio, the Vision and Sovereign class have a smaller space ratio.

Nonetheless, if the ship is not going to be ready until 2009, then likely they will not start building it until 2007, which means that there is plenty of time for design changes, which could result in a higher (or lower) space ratio. Until they start building it, we are not going to really know what the space ratio is.

For those who do not like ships that are too big for the Panama Canal, I am sure the Radiance and Vision class ships will be around for a while. Pick the ship you like. I am sure RCI would not invest the money it takes to build this ship if they did not believe they could fill it, and keep filling it.

Amen and at least RCI didn't make it look like a shopping cart without wheels aka Princess Grand class. Now that is one ugly set of ships.

So, we're sorting out this mess of stuff we have in the house and I came across the brochure from our honeymoon on (RCCL's) Song of America. I still vividly remember boarding her and thinking 'My Lord this thing is HUGE!'

37,584 tons. 705 feet in length. 93 feet wide, and 1,450 passengers (25.9 tons per passenger - at that rate the new Leviathan of the Seas should carry 8,487 passengers!).

[Oh, if anyone else is interested, the other thing that was shocking: 'B' deck inside $1140 to $1350 per person, 'Promenade' deck 'Deluxe Larger Outside Stateroom' $1820 to $1980pp, and 'Promenade' deck 'Deluxe Larger Outside Suite' $2020 to $2180pp - in 1984 dollars! And not a balcony anywhere. (Though, to be fair, these did include airfare from most eastern departure cities)]

You need to check your info again because it is not quite accurate. I don't want false information getting out here.

Well, Eric;

At full capacity of 6400 passengers (according to the news broadcast) and add 2000 crew members to a 220,000 ton vessal. Why don't you show me where "my info is not quite accurate"?

By the way ---- I teach high school math.:rolleyes:

Archived