Project Genesis ship ordered - 220,000 GRT, delivery autumn 2009

I would only hope that a cruise ship with 5,400 people would somehow be divided in sections. For example; mabye from the middle of the ship, foward would have two dining rooms, swimming pool and other facilities and then other sections would have the same thing. I would imagine something like this would have to be implemented because on the Explorer last summer, the lines got a bit big for the buffet and finding a table wasn't easy at times either. I can't even imagine that many people in one buffet. Anyone have any inside access to information about this new class of ships? I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated. Wow... this is really cool. I think the ship looks so modern and futuristic. Yesterday I watched the Steelers win the Super Bowl in Detroit in person and now this! I'm only 16 and I swear I'm gonna have a stroke very soon if life keeps treating me so good! :)

ONE FOR THE THUMB... WAY TO GO STEELERS!

Derek

Hi All,

I think a cruise line has finally lost their mind! When is something going to be too big?

Just think how embarkation/debarkation is going to be for 5,400 people (let alone the buffet line). You think people shove and push now, just wait. I also hope that this ship won't have to use the tenders at all.

I am beginning to like the small to middle sized ships more and more (like Majesty and Enchantment). I am sure this new giant will look great but, I will read about it on these boards.

Just my opinion.

Ed

I agree Ed. Last April we were on the Voyager and disembark until noon. WE just got off the Zenith and we were off the ship and on the bus by 9:15. It's just to big. I'll bet it comes with a very big price tag.

Those lifeboats are huge, but I can't figure out how they will load them. There does not seem to be a promenade deck.

I'm still trying to figure out what those 6 objects are on the top deck midship.

The aft balconies are huge!

I think I see a bungee trampoline top deck aft.

When you think about it, other than tonnage, Genesis is not that much bigger than Freedom.

At 1180 feet long, Genesis is only 68 feet longer than Freedom.

At 154 Feet wide, Genesis is actually 30 feet narrower than freedom.

And at 220,000 tons, Genesis is only 60,000 tons larger. Okay, maybe thats a lot...but not THAT much. Freedom is 70,000 tons larger than Radiance class.

When you think about it, other than tonnage, Genesis is not that much bigger than Freedom.

And at 220,000 tons, Genesis is only 60,000 tons larger. Okay, maybe thats a lot...but not THAT much. Freedom is 70,000 tons larger than Radiance class.

Keep in mind that the width of the Freedom includes the two whirlpools that hang over the side of the ship. She is just a stretched version of the Voyager and not really any wider.

Keep in mind that the Freedom is actually the same width as the Voyager but has two whirlpools that hang over the side of the ship which gives the impression that she is wider and indeed she it just a stretched version of the Voyager.

Have been on one large ship, our first cruise a few years back. Never wanted to cruise again, and am now hooked on the smaller ships, 200 pax or less.:rolleyes:

I certainly understand that different things appeal to different folks, but when does this cross over to the point of ridiculousness?

Won't the wait be longer to get on and off, and what about the ports you can only tender at? And doesn't this narrow down ports, tendering or otherwise? A whole ship load of folks at Dunn's River falls already takes away the magic of the place, why add more?

What about the quality of everything? (I just read a thread about the quality of food on larger ships and the point was made, a few times, that you can't expect good food when they are preparing it for 3000 people, as compared to 1500, what about 5000?)

And for those who say that the ship is the destination, that would be fine if it were a week at sea, but you can still get better, and less expensive, on the land. I speak of food, lodging, entertainment, gambling, and all the pseudo-mall stuff.

Please don't flame me, I just want to know.

Sea-hawk

Have been on one large ship, our first cruise a few years back. Never wanted to cruise again, and am now hooked on the smaller ships, 200 pax or less.:rolleyes:

I certainly understand that different things appeal to different folks, but when does this cross over to the point of ridiculousness?

Won't the wait be longer to get on and off, and what about the ports you can only tender at? And doesn't this narrow down ports, tendering or otherwise? A whole ship load of folks at Dunn's River falls already takes away the magic of the place, why add more?

What about the quality of everything? (I just read a thread about the quality of food on larger ships and the point was made, a few times, that you can't expect good food when they are preparing it for 3000 people, as compared to 1500, what about 5000?)

And for those who say that the ship is the destination, that would be fine if it were a week at sea, but you can still get better, and less expensive, on the land. I speak of food, lodging, entertainment, gambling, and all the pseudo-mall stuff.

Please don't flame me, I just want to know.

Sea-hawk

I look for RCI to place this ship in Miami. They will only have the Genesis in port that day and use both terminals that they are currently using for the two Voyager class ships for embarkation and debarkation. That should make check in no worse than it is now. As far as the islands, I doubt that they will use tender ports at all and I do believe that she will only be stopping at no more than two ports of call per sailing. The ship will be the destination in itself. I also think that RCI is smart enough that they have thought through the opportunities that may present itself with a ship this large such as using dual areas for embarkation and debarkation at port of calls to speed up the process. I think that we all need to wait until the deck plans are released before we pass judgment on a ship like this.

I am having a good laugh over at the HAL, Celebrity and Princess boards. Those folks are having coronary fits over there.:rolleyes:

What I would like to know is the average cost per berth on the Genesis will be about $230,000 per berth while the Ultra Voyager series had an average cost per berth of $200,000. Celebrity's new Challenger Class has an average cost per berth of $225,000. Yet Carnival Corp's new Conquest class and Princess's Carribbean Class have an average cost of $165,000 - $175,000 per birth. Why does RCCL pay so much more per berth than Carnival Corp? Is it because the ships are of higher quality (although the princess ships are outfitted quite nicely), is it because Royal Carribbean only orders a few ships per class while Carnival Corp orders tons of ships in each class, is it because RCCL has to pay more per birth because they aren't in as good financial shape as Carnival or is it something else? It just seems odd to me that RCCL is paying about $50,000 more per berth which means they have to charge more and earn more onboard in order to cover the cost of the ship which would seem to put them at a competitive disadvantage. This means for a 3000 berth ship they are paying about $150 million more than a comparible carnival corp ship. Seems excessive to me although I find RCCL's product to be far better than Carnival although similar to Princess in many respects.

[quote name='Ocean Boy']How many ports have a pier that can accomodate a ship that long? Unless there is some major upgrade to ports I think there may be a lot of tendering. Or, maybe the ship will make no port calls and will just stay out at sea for a week cruising.[/QUOTE]

Actually, a number of the existing piers have plans in he making to be modified to accomodate this ship (St Thomas, Miami, Port Canaveral, St Maarten). However, Port Canaveral is ideally suited for a ship this size. PC was slated to be the home port of Knut Kloster's Phoenix World City which was roughly 225,000 GRT (if I remember my port engineering paper correctly).

[quote name='cunarder']Hi All,

I think a cruise line has finally lost their mind! When is something going to be too big?

Just think how embarkation/debarkation is going to be for 5,400 people (let alone the buffet line). You think people shove and push now, just wait. I also hope that this ship won't have to use the tenders at all.

I am beginning to like the small to middle sized ships more and more (like Majesty and Enchantment). I am sure this new giant will look great but, I will read about it on these boards.

Just my opinion.

Ed[/QUOTE]

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Voyager class ships---but I have to agree it may be a bit big for my taste and I won't go on anything smaller then Voyager (so far) But to Tender 5000 passengers! Crazy and where is this ship going to go?

Actually, if you compare passenger space between the two lines, RCI is bigger. For instance the Mariner of the Seas is 138000 GRT with passenger capacity of 3114 giving 44.32 GRT/passenger vs Conquest at 110000 GRT with passenger capacity of 2974 giving 36.99 GRT/passenger. So, roughly stated, there is more public space per passenger on RCI. I could never say with a straight face that RCI's cabins (or their showers) are larger.

[quote name='Globaliser']From Aker Finnyards website: Go to Newsroom, Image bank, Cruise vessels:

[URL="http://www.akerfinnyards.com/imagebank/mr/genesis_mr.jpg"]72 dpi, 250 kb image[/URL]
[URL="http://www.akerfinnyards.com/imagebank/hr/genesis_hr.jpg"]300 dpi, 2,721 kb image[/URL]

NOTE: The images are too big to post directly onto the page, hence the links.[/quote]

Are you sure ?

[url]http://www.akerfinnyards.com/imagebank/hr/genesis_hr.jpg[/url]

Archived