Last Minute Decision -

BPCruisin

I booked a flight to San Juan already and have not yet made up my mind on the cruise line - have reservations held at both until tomorrow!

First time Cruiser going with my Fiance (both 26 years old) looking for fun (but no frat scene) with people in our age group (less kids). We are more interested in the quality of the ship than the ports for our first time.

I need recommendations if given the choice between Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas and Carnival Destiny in March 2006.

Adventure- San Juan, Puerto Rico; Oranjestad, Aruba; Willemstad; Island of St. Martin-Maarten, Guadeloupe; Charlotte Amalie, U.S. Virgin Islands; San Juan, Puerto Rico

Destiny- San Juan, Puerto Rico; St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands; Dominica, Dominica; Barbados, Barbados; Aruba, Aruba; San Juan, Puerto Rico

I think both ships will probably be pretty much the same as far as kids; its March and Spring Break season. Not as many kids as on ships departing from FL, but no difference between these two ships.

For more things that YOU should decide on between ships--not another poster--take a look at a similar question and my answer on this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=292726

'Quality' can be a relative term, and only you can decide what is the best fit for you. Good luck in exploring your choices, have fun with it.

I booked a flight to San Juan already and have not yet made up my mind on the cruise line - have reservations held at both until tomorrow!

First time Cruiser going with my Fiance (both 26 years old) looking for fun (but no frat scene) with people in our age group (less kids). We are more interested in the quality of the ship than the ports for our first time.

I need recommendations if given the choice between Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas and Carnival Destiny in March 2006.

Adventure- San Juan, Puerto Rico; Oranjestad, Aruba; Willemstad; Island of St. Martin-Maarten, Guadeloupe; Charlotte Amalie, U.S. Virgin Islands; San Juan, Puerto Rico

Destiny- San Juan, Puerto Rico; St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands; Dominica, Dominica; Barbados, Barbados; Aruba, Aruba; San Juan, Puerto Rico

BPcruisin,

DW and I are 35 and 38 y/o. We did the Destiny last year and we're sailing on Adventure of the Seas April 30, 2006. We didn't like the Destiny much (Its an older vessel and pretty much needs an all-around overhaul. There isn't a centralized pool like many of the other Carnival Class Ships, just little plunge pools in different locations on the sun Deck. DW and I have been on 13 cruises and IMHO I think a better choice for your first cruise is RCCL Adventure of the Seas. Its RCCL's newer Voyager Class Ship and offers much more than Carnival's Destiny. Trust me on this one. The amenities on AOS are much more elaborate than what the Destiny has to offer. We sailed the exact same itinerary last year on the Destiny. Dominica is a very small island with a very small market at the pier...thats it. The town is somewhat dirty. We actually can't believe its still a port of call. Aruba is absolutely gorgeous. I don't think there is much to think about here. Do you and your fiance a favor and spend a little more an sail on AOS. I can't wait for our sailing on AOS in April. We were on the Golden Princess a few months ago and loved her as well.

If you need any more advice you can email me at jcruise67@hotmail.com. I'll be more than happy to assist.

John aka: jcruise

I'm a first time cruiser also and having trouble deciding between similar itineraries to the ones you are talking about. I think it really depends on what you want to do on your trip. Do you really want to go cave tubing and jungle canopy tours and to mayan ruins, etc. If so, you might be better off with the Carnival ship, especially if what you want to do on the ship is lay in the sun, relax, eat, etc. If all you want to do is snorkel, hang on on some beaches and shop, either itinerary would be fine and I'd go with RC because the ship will be nicer and offer more things to do. It also depends on how many days you are at seas. Also, I have heard that Carnival is more of a young party scene, while RC is more elegant. So it depends on what you're in the mood for.

Hope this helps!

I also found cruisecritic.com's review of the ships, and member review of ships, quite helpful.

I'm a first time cruiser also and having trouble deciding between similar itineraries to the ones you are talking about. I think it really depends on what you want to do on your trip. Do you really want to go cave tubing and jungle canopy tours and to mayan ruins, etc. If so, you might be better off with the Carnival ship, especially if what you want to do on the ship is lay in the sun, relax, eat, etc. If all you want to do is snorkel, hang on on some beaches and shop, either itinerary would be fine and I'd go with RC because the ship will be nicer and offer more things to do. It also depends on how many days you are at seas. Also, I have heard that Carnival is more of a young party scene, while RC is more elegant. So it depends on what you're in the mood for.

Hope this helps!

I also found cruisecritic.com's review of the ships, and member review of ships, quite helpful.

Lynne,

Neither of these itineraries are ecologically related. Both itineraries and their ports of call are basically beach and party oriented with the exception of Dominica (Carnival). What BP needs to do is decide which ship has more to offer and I think without a doubt its RCCL's AOS. The Carnival Destiny is an older ship adn IMHO, needs an interior overhaul. You can not compare the Destiny with RCCL's AOS. There's just no comparison. AOS has much more to offer regarding amenities. Rock Climbing, Ice Skating, Miniture Golf, etc. The pool deck on AOS is state of the art with continuous live entertainment. Destiny does not have a main pax pool and the seating on the pool deck is stadium seating. Cruise pax on their first cruise want to enjoy congregating around a large pool and meet people. Your first cruise should be an impressionable one and BP will definitely receive that on AOS.

jcruise

Settles it - I'm going to book Adventure of the Seas tomorrow. Thanks for the information - I agree with you it seems to be a much better choice!

One more thing - should we also spring for the balcony - is it worth the extra money? How often would we really be in the room to enjoy?

Settles it - I'm going to book Adventure of the Seas tomorrow. Thanks for the information - I agree with you it seems to be a much better choice!

One more thing - should we also spring for the balcony - is it worth the extra money? How often would we really be in the room to enjoy?

BP,

A balcony cabin is a must. You would be surprised how much you find yourself in your stateroom. Anyway, its nice to have a balcony. DW and I leave the door open at night and listen to the wake of the ocean. I also like the fresh sea breeze and smoking my cigars out on the balcony. Its a nice change from the ordinary. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Be carefull though...once you go balcony, you never go anything less. You'll see what I mean if you spring for the balcony.. (LOL)

jcruise

Archived