Help with Civitavechia port

Zesty Italian

I am looking for info about the port when we transfer to Rome off Riviera.  Some have talked about how large the cruise terminal is and mentions of shuttles.  We are taking a bus to Rome on debarkation and told the bus will be just across the street form cruise terminal.  Is it so big that we need a shuttle to get to the entrance of the terminal or are they talking about the shuttle going elsewhere?  I also read the shuttles take long as sometimes only 1.  How long should we leave between getting off ship and getting to entrance to find bus?  Cruise is in April is that makes a difference.

We have been in Civitavecchia a couple of times but I don't recall that it's such a huge port.  The town certainly isn't!  And we have walked out of the port without needing a shuttle just to leave it.  I wish I could be more definitive for you!  The last time we were there we stayed in town so we have never needed a shuttle to get to Rome.  (The first time we stayed in Rome for a few days prior to boarding and had a private transfer which took us right up to the ship.)

You might want to check out the Rome/Civitavecchia Port Guide for an idea of what is where -- this dates back to 2012 but I don't think it's changed much since then. 

https://www.tomsportguides.com/port-guides.html#rome

I just checked the website and saw that there is also a guide for transfer to Rome:

https://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/porttransfer2rome-7-5-2017.pdf

The website is www.TomsPortGuides.com

Good luck!

4 hours ago, Zesty Italian said:

I am looking for info about the port when we transfer to Rome off Riviera.  Some have talked about how large the cruise terminal is and mentions of shuttles.  We are taking a bus to Rome on debarkation and told the bus will be just across the street form cruise terminal.  Is it so big that we need a shuttle to get to the entrance of the terminal or are they talking about the shuttle going elsewhere?  I also read the shuttles take long as sometimes only 1.  How long should we leave between getting off ship and getting to entrance to find bus?  Cruise is in April is that makes a difference.

Ok.......the cruise terminal is just a pier...in an industrial port.   You have to take the port bus to the entrance where you can get transportation. because of truck and forklift traffic moving containers  ... or walk 3 blocks to the train station for the train  once outside    Your not allowed to walk. in the port as is the case in many ports. 

There is NO big terminal building  just a gate where buses park  outside  ...it is not a big area  in a tiny town.  A place to buy magazines and takeaway food ..... NO building or shelter   

I strongly suggest a limo to Rome  because where the bus lets you off you will still need to take a taxi to the hotel .      Rome and the port area is a magnet for pick pockets and petty criminals.   Italy is having a recession and people are on the  lookout  and they know where the picking are easy.......Travelers with luggage    Be safe

Edited by Hawaiidan
  • Thanks 1

While we have docked in  Civitavecchia couple of times on port days we have not yet disembarked. I would like to know how the luggage is dispensed. I don't recall a shelter on the dock so was thinking they would transport the luggage to a shelter area at the port entrance / egress where the shuttle drops off but if none is there either - then how is this done?  Is it simply off loaded on to the dock and pax load it into the shuttle bus. And canopies in the event of rain?

9 minutes ago, jo-b said:

This site may be helpful. The port is large and it is not possible easily to walk to the exit with luggage. 

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/port-civitavecchia-guide-cruise-passengers

Great link, a lot of very useful information.

One thing, you cannot walk from the ship to the port entrance, you must take a shuttle bus. It is  working port and they do not want anyone to get injured by walking or obstructing regular port business (tour buses, private limos, trucks, forklifts, working equipment etc). Yes, the shuttle can be very busy because you will not be the only ship in port and everyone must take the shuttle to the port entrance unless you are on tour or have private rides.

While it is only a 20 minute walk to the train station (from the port entrance), that would be without luggage. If you have lots of luggage, it will take longer and there are some cobblestone streets. Oh and the train has limited spots for luggage.

You will most likely not be the only ship in port so, it can be very crowded and busy.

As for a bus, well, yes there is but there is a schedule and it may not be conducive to your schedule.

I strongly suggest you hire a private limo to pick you up at the ship. We use Romeinlimo.com. Always there, always polite and speak good English.

A couple of years ago embarking there, we took the train to Civitavecchia (there is as said limited space for luggage).  When you get there, there is a 2 Euro bus near the terminal that goes into the port to the place where you get the shuttle to the ship.  You can walk to the shuttle stop but it is not a pleasant scenic walk even with light luggage-it is a busy commercial port.  Another time we rented a taxi to visit sites near the port and we got the car on the pier (not sure they still do that).  If you have much luggage, do as suggested above and get a private pick-up.  Even from the airport, drivers tend to give a little tour whichever way you are going.

4 hours ago, Belfastman said:

There is a new terminal at Civitavecchia now which opened about a year ago. There is now shelter to wait either for your transfer bus, tour bus or shuttle. Luggage is unloaded into this building also. 

Very good, thanks.

Last  port visit was a year and a half and had a private guide whisk us away but must have been completely oblivious to the terminal as I dont even recall construction. Or memory. or both.

First, sorry I spelled the port city wrong.  Secondly, Thank you so much for all your information and suggestions.  It is very kind.  I have read bits and pieces and checked the "What' in Port" site where it said there was a new building.  Just confusing when they talk about shuttles and different spots we're not familiar with.  Does anyone have a guess as to how long it takes to get a shuttle?  Site I read talked about probability of multiple ships and sometimes only one shuttle.  We have reservations for a viator bus outside the entrance and don't know how much time to leave.  I have read many posts about private transfer and our hotel offered one, but very expensive.  I do appreciate all the answers.

53 minutes ago, Zesty Italian said:

First, sorry I spelled the port city wrong.  Secondly, Thank you so much for all your information and suggestions.  It is very kind.  I have read bits and pieces and checked the "What' in Port" site where it said there was a new building.  Just confusing when they talk about shuttles and different spots we're not familiar with.  Does anyone have a guess as to how long it takes to get a shuttle?  Site I read talked about probability of multiple ships and sometimes only one shuttle.  We have reservations for a viator bus outside the entrance and don't know how much time to leave.  I have read many posts about private transfer and our hotel offered one, but very expensive.  I do appreciate all the answers.

Are you disembarking or just going into Rome for the day to visit? 

How long it it takes to get the shuttle depends on the number of people wanting to get on it. The journey is probably 10 minutes but the wait can be anything really. 

One option is to look at the roll roll call for your cruise and see if there is someone else you can share a ride with into Rome, we have done  this a number of times and it is quite economical.  

The company we have used is  Rome Chauffeur

https://www.rome-chauffeur.com/transfers/port/

these are their prices

Civitavecchia Port Transfers Price List:

For up to 2 people: 130 Euros
For up to 3 people: 140 Euros
For up to 4 people: 150 Euros
For up to 5 people: 160 Euros
For up to 6 people: 170 Euros
For up to 7 people: 190 Euros
For up to 8 people: 200 Euros

When we embarked in Civitavecchia this past May, it was pouring and all they had was a tent where they dropped us off to get on board.  We picked up our key card in the Lounge.  When people disembarked in Civitavecchia, it was also in the tent, and all the luggage was there.  I don’t think Oceania gets the large terminal building as only MSC and Costa were docked there.  

Edited by kitty9
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, kitty9 said:

When we embarked in Civitavecchia this past May, it was pouring and all they had was a tent where they dropped us off to get on board.  We picked up our key card in the Lounge.  When people disembarked in Civitavecchia, it was also in the tent, and all the luggage was there.  I don’t think Oceania gets the large terminal building as only MSC and Costa were docked there.  

Maybe we should put MSC and Costa into a tent in Miami as well? 😀

Edited by Paulchili

10 hours ago, kitty9 said:

Correct.

The large ships get to dock near the building. 4000 people getting off and 4000 getting on vs 1200. Bigger wins 🙂