Princess pacific wine country cruise

vacationgogo

Hi.  We are a family of five.  My husband and I are taking our grown children on the pacific wine country cruise in October.  We’ll be on the Grand Princess.  Can anyone share some “don’t miss” experiences, either on board or excursions.  Thanks!.   

1 hour ago, vacationgogo said:

Hi.  We are a family of five.  My husband and I are taking our grown children on the pacific wine country cruise in October.  We’ll be on the Grand Princess.  Can anyone share some “don’t miss” experiences, either on board or excursions.  Thanks!.   

It all depends on what you are looking for and if the ship is doing an overnighter in San Francisco.

San Francisco Best I can tell you are only in SF for the day. Two choices: Do Alcatraz or a wine tour up to Napa. There is a company about a 10 minute walk from the terminal that does an all day tour.

Santa Barbara. There are several tasting rooms walking distance from were you tender. Just google. Some great places for lunch in the city. Try and get up to the mission if you can.

San Diego: rent a car from the airport. (about a 15 to 20 minute walk) and drive up to the wineries outside of Escondido. Cordiano Winery has great pizza and an even better view. Make sure to call and get a reservation before Princess books it out. They have tasting, but we usually buy a bottle. There are other wineries for tasting just up the valley from the San Diego wild animal park. Use your GPS as there is a back road to get from Cordiano down into the valley.

Astoria: Never done this port. DW has and did princess tours.

Your questions may also be better answered here in the CA Coastal forum: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/142-california-coastal-pacific-northwest/

It seems like you're only in SF from morning till night in 1 day, so yes, Alcatraz is great. If you're in a hurry, a HOHO bus could get the job done. In terms of non-excursion ideas, if you're interested in the most tourist-y things (Lombard Street, cable car, etc.), research how to hitch a ride to those places. You could walk across the Golden Gate. You can also take a ferry to Sausalito/Larkspur and enjoy the quaintness of those communities. 

If you do an excursion in every city, Astoria can be a city you can just walk around in, and start your cruise without a huge rush. I loved walking along the Astoria Riverwalk and when the weather is great, the overall views are brilliant. Then you can end your walk at the Columbia River Maritime Museum and then go through the city from there, before coming back to the ship. There was also a cute trolley along the riverwalk that can help you get from one end to the other, if you're in need of assistance.