Beijing Port on March 16, 2006

balboatom

Am meeting Nautica (Oceania Cruises) in Tianjin Beijing at 6m Xingang Dondu Terminal K2 or 2 or 3. Am coming from the Marriott in Beijing. Am getting no help whatsoever from Oceana or Marriott where this address is other than check with our concierge when you arrive. Well, I want to be more prepared than that when I leave the States. Especially when this is my first trip to China!

First of all, welcome to the Cruise Critic Board. It is a very helpful place to go for questions as everyone is eager to help.

We have been posting for weeks now on this board that Oceania is telling us to just have our passport and visa with us and go to the port area they quoted you. This is Oceania's first time in Tianjin. People have posted that it is a closed port area and if we aren't on Oceania's transfer, we might have a problem. Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo, since Oceania won't let anyone on their transfer who hasn't bought their expensive pre-package, you are on your own.

We have contacted the Conciege at our hotel and strongly suggest you contact the Concierge at the Marriott via email today and have them arrange a transfer with a reliable tour company to the port and have them include a "permit" to get into the dock area and to the ship. The Princess uses a hotel to have people dropped off and then shuttles them to their ship. We can't get any answers from Oceania. The distance is about 2 and one half hours and I strongly suggest you plan to arrive well before the departure time ESPECIALLY when it is still light out so your driver will find the dock. We all feel that this "permit" charge is greasing the pockets of someone, but we don't care since it is only about $25 per car and after all we will have spent on this cruise, it's not that much. You might want to post on this board for another couple to share your van to the dock. They told us that we need a van for eight for the four of us including luggage.

I suggest you go to the "ports" section on this board and hit on "Asia" and you can find out more info.

Sheila

Shelia, thanks so much for your response and all you are saying is true! My travel agent just called after I posted that thread. We are now on a "wait list" for the Shangri La hotel near the port. So, once in for $400 we get shuttled from the Marriott to the Shangri La. Therefore, am canceling last night in Beijing and joining the cruise at Shangri La.

Thanks for responding!!!

Tom

Hi again, Tom,

We were told that the Shangri-La in Beijing was the hotel the cruiseline is using pre-cruise and that you had to stay at the Shangri-la there and be bused to the ship on the 16th. Is this what your TA told you? If you can't get on their hotel and transfer, just ask the Concierge at the Marriott to arrange your transportation to the ship. Let us know the scoop.

Sheila

Shelia, TA got us in on the last night so we can join the cruise IN PEIJING which is what this was all about. Therefore, we don't have to find a so called port or terminal as the cruise bus will take us there!!

Thanks again!!

Tom

Hi Balboatom and welcome to the board.

Just be aware that USD $400 is an extortionate price in China. The Shangri-La, by the way, although ane excellent Asian hotel chain, is not central in Beijing being on the second outer ring road area near the zoo, so that could be a bit of an issue if you want to get around easily. Have you looked at a map of Beijing? You might want to do some research: look at Don W's postings on the Oceania board under 'Beijing to Bangkok' ( a posting started by aaaaaathony). The first pages of that thread are not very relevant to your question, but the latter pages are. You will find you could save a great deal of money if that is of any interest to you.

I am on the same cruise as you so look forward to meeting. I am a traveller with champagne tastes on a beer budget. We go on cruises, but book inside cabins and never go anywhere near a cruise-line organised anything. That is not everybody; so please don't worry about my suggestions if that style of travel isn't you. But read some of the postings as advised if you are interested in saving a few hundred. We are staying at the Courtyard Marriott in Beijing btw - is that the same as you or are you at the Marriott Marriott?

Archived