Urgent Advise Grand dep 02/25

jetboy

HI EVERYONE IAM SO GLAD I FOUND THIS WEB SITE I HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING ALL YOUR ADVISE OVER THE PAST FEW MONTHS AND NOW HAVE A FEW OF MY OWN QUESTIONS.WE ARE A GROUP COMING IN FROM LONDON AND THIS WILL BE OUR FIRST TIME WITH PRINCES AND ALSO USING GALVESTONE.WE HAVE ALWAYS CRUISED WITH RCCL FROM MIAMI AND ARE NOW STARTING TO WORRY A LITTLE ABOUT THIS SHIP!! IF YOU CAN HELP WITH ANY OF THE QUESTIONS I WOULD BE REALLT GRATEFUL, HOPEFULLY WE WILL MEET SOME OF YOU ON THE CRUISE.MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE....

1) HAVE JUST BEEN INFORMED WE CAN NOT CHECK IN UNTIL 1300 TO 1530.HAS EVERYONE BEEN TOLD THIS AND CAN WE ASSUME THIS MEANS AT THE PORT AND NOT AT THE HOTEL GAVEZ AS IN PREVIOUS DATES.WAS ASSUMING IT WOULD BE THE HOTEL AS SO MANY SHIPS ARE DEPARTING AND ITS PARTY TIME THAT WEEEKEND IN GALVESTONE??

2) COULD ANYONE RECOMMEND WHAT TO DO IN MAJAHURAL I READ ABOUT HIRING GOLF BUGGIES BUT WHERE DO YOU GO?? IS THEREA GOOD BEACH OR SOMETHING WE CAN GO AND ENJOY QUITE LIKE THE IDEA OF GOLF BUGGIES!!!

3) WE HAVE BEEN INFORMED BY OUT TA THAT WE WILL BE GETTING $75.OO EACH FOR THE CHANGE TO THE CRUISE OR SOME PEOPLE HAVE BEEEN TOLD $25.00. ANYONE KNOW THE TRUTH!!!!

4) SORRY FORGET TO ADD SOMETHING TO POINT 1. WE ARE FLYING INTO IAH THE DAY BEFORE AND ARE STAYING NEAR TO THE AIRPORT,WE HAVE A LIMO BOOKED FOR 10.30 WHICH SHOULD GET US TO THE PORT FOR AROUND 12.00.DOES THAT SOUND ABOUT RIGHT FOR THE JOURNEY TIME AND WILL IT BE OK TO BE AN HOUR EARLY ASSUMING THERE WILL BE LINES ALREADY FROM OUR KEEN CRUISERS.

5) IF THERE IS ANYTHING ELSE YOU COULD ADVISE US ON WE WOULD BE SO HAPPY TO HEAR FROM ANYONE. WHAT IS THE NORMAL AGE GROUP ON PRINCESS WE ARE ALL IN OUT LATE 30s SO LOVE TO PARTY ESPECIALLY IN THE EVENING IN THE DISCO.

ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU

Hello, and welcome to the boards.

We cruised a couple weeks ago on Grand Princess. Passenger check-in started around noon. I won't advise arriving at the pier much earlier than that. You'll avoid traffic conflicts with disembarking passengers if you delay your arrival just a little.

In Majahual, the ship docks at a little cruise port that has a pleasant if touristy shopping area. Outside the port area, you can rent golf carts, find private tour operators, or take a bus into the village of Majahual, which is only a mile or two from the port area. It is quite a small town and has many beach bars, restaurants, and of course lots of politely aggressive people trying to sell everything from trinkets to liquor.

You'll have to use tenders at 3 of the 4 places you stop. This will mean having to get up a little earlier and gathering with your tour groups if you book ship's tours, or securing tender tickets and waiting for available space on the boats to go ashore. You will have to make sure your entire group is ready to go. Tour groups have priority, so you might have to wait to get off the ship. Plan on spending an hour for the process, maybe a little less if you are on a tour.

It sounds like cruises departing in February are getting the $75 credit, those in March and April are getting $25.

We sailed on the Grand on Jan 21, here are some answers to your questions

We arrived at 12:15 for embarkation and were on board and in our cabin by 12:30. I understand there was a large line earlier (9:30 to 10) so you might want to wait until noon.

I'd budget a good two hours for the trip from Houston to Galveston - it depends on the traffic.

The crowd on board our sailing was generally older, but there were plenty of younger people on board and a variety of activities for all. If you have the opportunity make sure you see the comedian, - he was the best entertainment of the trip. Also, get to the Theatre a half hour before the performance if you go to the early show - it fills up fast and a lot of people can't understand the concept of "you are not permitted to save seats".

We did receive a $75 per person credit for missing Grand Caymen, but I understand that the change to Playa del Carmen is now permanent so I don't know how long that credit will apply. Playa was wonderful - I think you can go to one of the hotels and pay for a day pass to use their facilities - we didn't do this but wish we had. The beach is beautiful.

The best tour we did was the Mexican cooking excursion at Playa Mia in Cozumel - great fun and a good meal - and all you can drink! This tour fills up fast, so try to book on line or the minute you get on board.

You should arrange for excursions in Costa Maya and Belize. Belize City is extremely poor and I heard a lot of people got ripped off by taxi drivers in the city.

I'll try to answer any other questions you may have

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=168366

Go to the Princess Roll Call for the 2/25 cruise, at the above link. There are a bunch of us that are going to be on the 2/25 cruise.....We are going to have a Meet and Greet on board....The time and place is listed....Add your groups names and you will be included.

My husband and I are going to do Costa Maya on our own....no planned excursions....We will look around the peir, pool area, shops and then go by taxi to Majahural, look around, enjoy the beach, with a mojito and head back to the ship....

I have received an email from Princess that passengers on the 2/25 cruise will receive a $75 pp on board credit.

Yes, we have also been informed not to expect to board until at least 1pm....We are driving to Galveston from San Antonio....and plan on getting there about that time.

You will get alot of great info on the Roll Call....Hope to see you there. Chris

We were in line for check in last week at 11:15 and they started checking everyone in at 11:30. We were on board by 11:45. Not bad. BEWARE of Majahaul. We took the bus from the pier to the beach there. Vendors are very, very,very, very very aggressive. They will try to sell you Cubans and marijuana. We did, however, find a nice spot about half way down and got a drink and $20 45minute massage. Then a 2 dollar cab ride back. Thanks Zydeco for the advice. The ship is wonderful and crew is great.

Thank you to everyone for replying to my questions i really apprechiate all the advise.Just one more question does anyone know if the Formal nights have changed from Sunday and Tuesday now the itinerary have changed.did try to speak to princes but they were as helpful as a chocolate tea pot!!!!!

Hi there, I just got back on Saturday and the formal nights are still Sunday and Tuesday. They were not at all what we were expecting. Having never been on a cruise, we didn't know all it was is dressing up, taking pictures if you want, having free cocktails and then just eating dinner on your own like any other night. We had thought it was more of a formal dinner with the Captin.

As far as the ports, I had done my research before we went, and we knew we weren't doing any excursions. We just wanted to lay on the beach. BUT I would suggest to do an excursion in Belize. We took the water taxi to Caye Caulker and it was an adventure to say the least. From trying to find the water taxi station til we got back on the boat.

Anyway, definately take the shuttle to Majahaul to the beach. The water there is AMAZING!!! We had a blast. It was our favorite port. Playa and Cozymel are nice, but crowded.

Have fun!!!!

...in Belize. We took the water taxi to Caye Caulker and it was an adventure to say the least. From trying to find the water taxi station til we got back on the boat.

We were planning to take a water taxi in Belize as well. I am very interested to hear more on your experience.

Thanks.

Years ago we were on a cruise that stopped in Cozumel and took a tour to Tulum. From Cozumel we took a ferry to Playa Del Carmen and then set off for Tulum. If there is an excursion that goes to Tulum, take it. It is one of the major Mayan sites and different from all of the others because it is the only one on the coast. The Mayans were great astronomers and had an extremely interesting culture.

Enjoy!

Roberta

Archived