So many sick on Horizon.

Boozebabe

We were on the Feb 8 sailing. I developed a cough 4 days in as did my husband. I’m just now getting over it. It was violent coughing fits. Since returning home and chatting with our Facebook group of over 600 members from that cruise, I’m finding that most of us got sick that week. Now I’m thinking we should have notified Carnival. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just checked out the page you are referring to and it’s not the majority of people on the page. Yes, there is a good number saying that they are (or were) sick, but there are a bunch also saying that they are fine. When you sail on a cruise ship if someone is sick it’s going to spread. It’s no different than if someone is in an airport and is sick; it’s going to spread. The only difference is that the people who get sick in an airport all go off in different directions, so you never hear about it.

The fact is, it’s cold and flu season. The only thing you can do to protect yourself is exercise and eat right to boost your immune system, and practice good hygiene. No reason to spread fear mongering by trying to imply that there’s something wrong with the Horizon. Illnesses happen during this time of the year, and I hate to say it but what your sailing experienced is pretty typical.

A bunch of people on my Alaska cruise in 2017 got sick including myself. And actually, most if not all sailings I have been on have experienced something going around. Fortunately other than in Alaska and also my most recent cruise when I came home with strep throat, I don’t tend to be one of the people who gets sick. 

Edited by Cruising_Addict
  • Like 2

I agree.  The same for visiting places with large numbers of attendees.   I worked for Disney and saw the waves of sickness that came with season, as well as, during events such as cheerleading competitions,  holidays, etc.  I had that same cold about 2 months ago with the violent coughing that lasted 3 weeks.   Grateful to have gotten through that and have it behind me.   Hope you are feeling better!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruising_Addict said:

It’s no different than if someone is in an airport and is sick; it’s going to spread. The only difference is that the people who get sick in an airport all go off in different directions, so you never hear about it.

It always puzzles me that most people can't figure that out.  The only difference with a cruise ship it is a captive audience allowing you to see the totality.

Last night 200 people who visited the some grocery store probably all sat at home wondering where they caught this terrible stomach bug.

Unfortunately it is TWO things.... it is cold and flu season...AND... because of that, people stuck on airplanes for hours with coughing and sneezing people end up sick.  I asked my doc a few years ago why I always come home from a cruise and days later I am sick with coughing and runny nose.  She said it is probably not the ship.... it is that airports and airplanes are filthy with germs.  She advised me to take wet wipes with me on every plane and wipe down every surface near me.  Ditto sitting in the airport waiting.  Not much you can do sitting on the plane with the air being recirculated for hours and hours.  She said to try to book flights early in the day, when things might be a little cleaner overall, and cross my fingers.  Either that or don't go on trips during Jan-Feb-Mar.  Cold and flu season... hate it.

I am currently sitting at home a week after a cruise, coughing up a lung.  Great trip...except for the freakin' cold bug.