Genesis Booking starts when??

ravenone

Just thought I would put in my two cents. I could care less when Genesis starts booking.

I mean, do you really want to be on that cattle car, boys and girls? I mean 5400 people? Can you imagine the buffet lines? The tenders? Etc. Etc.

I won't get near that ship! Well, let me rephrase that. If it were leaving from S. FL (so no air involved for me) and going to ports I could care less about, and I had a beautiful veranda JS I could just relax the whole week or so in....... and the cost was just $300 pp. Then I would try it. But otherwise, you won't get me near it.

Why aren't they building at least one ship in the 1500 to 1800 or so people? Well, you definitely know the Genesis won't be doing the Panama Canal!!!!!! (grin)

Pooh

Just thought I would put in my two cents. I could care less when Genesis starts booking.

I mean, do you really want to be on that cattle car, boys and girls? I mean 5400 people? Can you imagine the buffet lines? The tenders? Etc. Etc.

I won't get near that ship! Well, let me rephrase that. If it were leaving from S. FL (so no air involved for me) and going to ports I could care less about, and I had a beautiful veranda JS I could just relax the whole week or so in....... and the cost was just $300 pp. Then I would try it. But otherwise, you won't get me near it.

Why aren't they building at least one ship in the 1500 to 1800 or so people? Well, you definitely know the Genesis won't be doing the Panama Canal!!!!!! (grin)

Pooh

What is Genesis?

Pooh

Maybe everyone should wait to see what the deck plans look like before shutting something like this out.

As far as building a ship to hold 1500 to 1800 passengers. Ain't gonna happen in the mass market lines. Even Celebrity's new ship that they are building is going to hold 2800 passengers.

Even Celebrity's new ship that they are building is going to hold 2800 passengers.
And a lot of the people on that board think that ship is to big. I guess they wont be going on this ship which is nearly twice as big.

I probably won't sail her until I am sure she is running well and works. I might give her a year or two to make sure all the kinks are worked out.

With this ship coming out Voyager class ships are going to be mid-sized, Radiance class ships will be small, and Vision class ships will be tiny.

When you think about it, other than tonnage, Genesis is not that much bigger than Freedom.

At 1180 feet long, Genesis is only 68 feet longer than Freedom.

At 154 Feet wide, Genesis is actually 30 feet narrower than freedom.

And at 220,000 tons, Genesis is only 60,000 tons larger. Okay, maybe thats a lot...but not THAT much. Freedom is 70,000 tons larger than Radiance class.

When you think about it, other than tonnage, Genesis is not that much bigger than Freedom.

And at 220,000 tons, Genesis is only 60,000 tons larger. Okay, maybe thats a lot...but not THAT much. Freedom is 70,000 tons larger than Radiance class.

Freedom is 126 feet in width

Actually to compare it better here is a better explanation.

The width listed in the press release is the width at waterline level, 154 feet.

Voyager class and Freedom class are 126 feet at waterline level.

The maximum width you see published in RCCL specs is at the bridge wings. Voyager class is about 161 feet at the bridge wings. Freedom is about 184 at the bridge wings. I have not seen this stated for Genesis.

Freedom is actually 184 feet in width. Check rccl.com website for freedom statistics. It clearly states 184 feet.

184 is at the bridge wings and called the max width. Since no one has published this for genesis you have nothing to compare max width with.

What they do have is the width at waterline to compare, which is what I posted.

Yea, I am beginning to wonder myself "how big" can these ships get and still be enjoyable without having a lot people around and crowds. Can you imagine days at sea on a ship with 5000+ passengers??? Almost seems crazy. We'll see once we start seeing "reviews" from those who eventually go on Freedom and then Genesis.

Anyone know when we can expect Genesis booking to start? With Freedom it was ~16 months before first sailing if I remember correctly.

Bookings start before Exodus, Levitacus and Numbers are limited, so get in there early!

Alan

I find that many, many cruisers complain about the newest, largest ships and state that they will never sail them but when I wanted to book the Freedom, RCI was running out of my preferred cabins 14 months in advance!

RCI has been quite successful. I'm sure they have put considerable 'thought power' into the making of a ship this size. Potential problem issues like embarcation, buffet lines, seating, tenders in ports, etc. are, I'm certain, already planned out.

Pooh

I absolutely agree. Way too big for me, but mostly too many people. What is the point! If you look at the "drawings" it's almost all cabins. Give me 80-100k tons anyday, 2000-2500 passengers is plenty of excitement for this cruiser.

My first reaction to this was, OMG Lets sail!! Then I thought about and said, this is way too big, I probably will have to wait to use everything, and this boat is just way too big. I am now thinking, lets wait for the deck plans, you never know, there can be 2 principle show lounges, several restraunts, and maybe 4 or 5 pools. What I am trying to say is, wait for the deck plans, then decide.

How many people will the Freedom hold?

I think that the Genesis holding 6000 people (including crew right) is just insane :eek: .... Still anxious to see it when the photos start coming out.

How many people will the Freedom hold?

I think that the Genesis holding 6000 people (including crew right) is just insane :eek: .... Still anxious to see it when the photos start coming out.

Here is a comparison of some of the specifications:

Voyager -

Gross Tonnage: 138,000 tons

Double Occupancy/All Berths: 3114/3,838

Passenger space ratio (double/all): 44/35 (higher is better)

Total Crew: 1,176

Crew to Passenger Ratio (double/all): 2.6/3.2 (lower is better)

Freedom

Gross Tonnage: 158,000 tons

Double Occupancy/All Berths: 3600/4,370

Passenger space ratio (double/all): 43.8/36.1 (higher is better)

Total Crew: 1,360

Crew to Passenger Ratio (double/all): 2.6/3.2 (lower is better)

Genesis

Gross Tonnage: 220,000 tons

Double Occupancy/All Berths: 5,400/6,400

Passenger space ratio: 40.7/34.3

Total Crew: Not Yet Known

Crew/Passenger Ratio: Not Yet Known

One key number I look at is not the number of passengers, but the passenger to space ratio. Voyager and Freedom are very good. Genesis drops a bit, although still higher than some popular ships on other lines. Here are some examples:

Carnival Conquest: 36.9 double occupancy/29.7 all berths

Carnival Pride: 40.4 double occupancy/32.0 all berths

Carribean Princess: 36.2 double occupancy/29.8 all berths

Celebrity Constellation: 46.2 double occupancy/36.8 all berths

Norwegian Dawn: 40.8 double occupancy/22.4 all berths

HAL Oosterdam: 44.2 double occupancy/35.9 all berths

Radiance of the Seas: 42.6 double occupancy/36 all berths

Archived