Car Rental Edinburgh, Scothland

Jancruz

Sorry to put this in two posts, but remembered a couple other things...

I was born and raised in Scotland and live in the US, and go home once or twice every year, and rent a car usually every time I go home.

The cost can be very very high for collision insurance on a rental car in Scotland (It would have amounted to over $600 for a week when I was over there for the holidays). Several credit card companies have collision waiver included in their "premium" or "platinum" packages, but they vary widely, Double check what coverage you get as most US based insurance companies do NOT cover rental vehicles overseas, even if they do cover rentals in the US. I have a credit card that covers me (I know - I had to test it once when I had a "wee bump")

Perhaps I'm informing you of stuff you already know - if so forgive me. I learned it all through the direct school of hard knocks. Most of the car rental companies over there are fine to deal with- I think I've used them all !!

The "other" side of the road is tough - and I learned to drive over there!!! Every time I switch, I have to keep reminding myself...especially on little narrow back roads.

In Spain Carjet is ALL INCLUSIVE and it is probably the same policy here in UK.

As far as driving on the " other side " is concerned we the Brits invented roads and made the correct choice as being on the left was good for the horses...............ok I made that up. We arranged to drive on the left to annoy the French........ok I made that up too.

Funny how we Brits adapt very easily to driving on the right when we visit USA and Europe.

The real reason we drive on the left is because we CAN.

Brian

We rented one for about eight days a few years ago; and drove all over the Western Highlands, up Loch Ness, to the Isle of Skye etc. The "one-track" roads in the hinterlands are fun! It is a good idea to get a small car, and get one with automatic transmission because driving from the left hand seat with a stick shift may be a problem.

All the other advice was good. We found our rental by browsing the "net" and checking the offerings carefully concerning insurance etc.

Archived