Medically unable to travel

jc719

Here's a situation that I haven't seen discussed (but I may have missed it)....

DW & I have a cruise scheduled for next month (April).  The cruise line has announced a change to their T&C's that we can now cancel up to 48 hours before departure and receive a 100% future cruise credit, certainly a positive change for many passengers.  The reservation was booked and paid in full in February.  We have 3rd party (not cruise line) travel insurance without CFAR.  DW's physician has now said that she should not travel on a cruise ship, in particular on our April trip, due to a pre-existing condition (TI was purchased the same day as the trip so there should be a pre-ex cond waiver).  MD will provide certification of the condition.  This would seem to qualify as a named peril trip cancellation claim, which would provide a cash payment.  Cash is better than a FCC.  So, the question is, can we cancel without the FCC and stick with the original cruise line cancellation schedule where we would get a partial cash refund (25%) and make a claim for the forfeited penalty (75%)?  Or would the failure to accept a 100% FCC be failing to mitigate damages?  

If you qualify for a medical cancellation, which is a covered reason under you TI, I don’t think you have to take the FCC instead of your valid claim.

The  100% FCC is not insurance. It is a goodwill offer from the cruise line for people who don’t qualify for cancellation otherwise but just are not comfortable traveling now. If the cruise were cancelled completely by the cruise line, and you were compensated for it, that might be different. But it wasn’t. The cruise line is offering a choice.

It is probably best to ask your insurer. I’d like to know what you find out.

Edited by Babr

Have you verified with your insurance company that the doctor's decision really would qualify as an insured trip cancellation?  We are ok with the cruise FCC but have a couple thousand in flights that we would cost us $800 in change fees that we

will lose.