Confused: Refund vs Future Cruise Credit

Blue Eyes

I have not receive the cancellation policy letter, but have read it online in a post on this board.  I, along with my daughter and granddaughter are booked on the Breeze April 4th sailing.  My son in law is a lung transplant recipient, so we are discussing our options that are safest for him, even though he is not cruising.  My question is this; it appears a refund on our cruise is not an option so if we cancel we can only use our paid amount on a future cruise....is that correct?  

If not for his compromised immune system I’d go, but we have to think beyond ourselves.

It is my understanding that you are basically correct.  If you cancel without rebooking you are in the penalty period and the cancellation penalty will apply.  You will get a refund of pre-paid items you purchased that are not part of the fare and port taxes and fees.

I welcome others to correct me if I am wrong.

You do not have to rebook at the same time you cancel, a future cruise credit is just that, I had an April 4th sailing also which I cancelled and rebooked yesterday in the same call but I am 100% sure you do not need to rebook at the same time. You do have an end date to sail using the future cruise credit which I think is  March 31, 2021. 

This is how it worked for me, evidentially my cruise was in the 50% penalty for cancellation period, I honestly thought I had passed the 30 day mark but I guess not. I received a future cruise credit for the cancellation penalty of 50% of the cruise fare which was applied to my new cruise. If you don’t rebook the FCC will remain in your account until you do as long as the new cruise sails by 3-31-2021. They refunded to my CC the other 50% of my  cruise fare plus pre-paid gratuities, port fees, taxes and all the shore excursions, etc. 

I did not wait to receive the official letter, I put the new cruise on hold right after I heard of the new policy, then called yesterday to cancel and rebook. It was time consuming but I am very happy Carnival gave us the option. I am in the same boat, not at all concerned about the virus for myself or family that is going on the cruise but I have a 90 year old mother with COPD that depends on me too. 

Oops! I just found my letter to recheck and now I am not 100% sure, it does say you can move it but says nothing about holding the FCC. In my mind FCC is just that but I may have shared misinformation, sorry! So I withdraw 100% certain as I am obviously not. 

I hope someone chimes in that has cancelled and saved the FCC to be booked later. Everything else I posted is correct, I hope it works out great for you! 

This might help clarify
* Offer is for cruises departing from date of letter till 5/31/20
*  Cruises departing from date of letter till March 31 have up to 3 days prior to rebook

* Cruises departing from April 1-May 31 have to rebook by March 31
* Credit is valid until 3/31/21 but you must rebook by the dates above
***small print does say some important stuff like it's only good for (1) booking and cannot be used for taxes/fees/port expenses, Carnival Vacation Protection, onboard charges or gratuities. Guest is responsible for the difference between FCC and new booking. If new booking is less than the amount of the FCC the difference will be applied as a Non Refundable On Board Credit with a maximum of $500 per cabin. Any additional unused is forfeited. All money paid for Carnivals insurance is non refundable and will not be included in your FCC. 

The form to use this option and rebook is here, you do not need to call to rebook
https://www.carnival.com/request.../reimbursement-form.aspx

Hope this helps

Edited by TakeMeAway1001
mistake