Discovery Riverboat Cruise Fairbanks

redbeulah

We had just the opposite feeling, it wasn't worth the money at all (we thought it was boring-too many talking heads, too much standing around), but since it was part of the tour, we went. You can buy tickets there. They have a big Emporium with gifts, snacks, tickets, souvenirs, etc. at the dock. Enjoy.

It is worth it to me, only with the http://www.toursaver.com coupon. It's a good tour, but there is plenty more to Fairbanks than this and the gold dredge that most people only do. When we go, we make sure they are doing the bush plane demo. So if you are booking on your own- easy as phone call, find out the schedule.

Our family of 4 really, really enjoyed the Discovery Riverboat. My DH was very skeptical at first, but went because it was included in our tour. He now tells everyone how much he enjoyed the entire experience. I agree with Budget Queen that the demonstration of bush plan flying techniques was awesome. We saw so many planes, including the floatplanes, in Alaska and were very curious how they all find room to take off and land - well, it just doesn't take much room for either! We also loved seeing Susan Butcher's sled dog training facility and learning about the dogs.

I would recommend it. Here is an excerpt fropm my review f the cruise tour we took last year. "This was a much better tour than I expected. You see quite a bit from the riverboat. This included a stop by Susan Butcher’s dog training facility where someone will speak to you from the shore, you will want to be on the starboard side of the riverboat for this. There is also a stop to see some reindeer for which you will want to be on the port side (I missed this since I was still on the starboard side). You do not get off the boat for the first two stops. Then you will stop at and get off the boat at a recreation of an Athabascan fish camp. You will be on shore for approximately one hour."

I don't know if it was because we took the tour on Memorial Day and everyone else had the day off, but Susan Butcher was our spearker at the dog camp.

I can't even count the number of times I've been on the Discovery over the past 20 years (30 perhaps?), and I still enjoy it at least once a year. It's pretty expensive, but it's a very professional operation and a true learning experience - a good sign of that is the number of locals you'll hear on board, taking their visitors on it.

Murray

I am one of the locals taking visitors on the riverboat. It is only mildly entertaining for me. The videos are a running advertisement for the gift shop and salmon. The village is fake, but fun when not too many crowds. Dixie's beadwork is amazing. On a nice day I wander around and take wildflower pictures.

Don't expect to see Susan Butcher this year - she has cancer.

• 1 year later...

Sorry for digging up old thread here, but I'm looking for comments on the riverboat tour.

We're a mid-20s couple, and will be in Fairbanks as part of a Princess cruise tour.

We'll be there from about noon, to 9pm the next day. This river boat tour is part of the package, taking up pretty much the first half day we're there.

Can anyone comment on the age group this tour is targeting? I'm planning on renting a car, can we catch more stuff on our own?

Sorry for digging up old thread here, but I'm looking for comments on the riverboat tour.

We're a mid-20s couple, and will be in Fairbanks as part of a Princess cruise tour.

We'll be there from about noon, to 9pm the next day. This river boat tour is part of the package, taking up pretty much the first half day we're there.

Can anyone comment on the age group this tour is targeting? I'm planning on renting a car, can we catch more stuff on our own?

I guess, I would not "skip" it unless I got a refund, it's about a $50pp value.

As already mentioned, it is a nice scenic tour, geared for all ages.

Yes certainly you can "catch" more stuff on your own with a rental car. This is a give in all of Alaska. Request their visitor guide http://www.explorefairbanks.com

It's a wonderful city.

Archived