Manta, Ecuador advice please!!

edinburgher

Can anyone please advise whether the excursion to Montecristi is best done with the ships own excursion or independantly.

We are going round in circles! Have read past comments on cc and also referring to a guide book, it appears that Montecristi can be reached by frequent local buses from Manta and also by taxi. We do not speak Spanish.

The ships tour includes a visit to a nut carving factory which appears to be somewhere on the outskirts of Manta and we are unsure whether we could visit this if we were independant.

On the other hand, we might want longer in Montecristi than the ships tour would allow.

Your suggestions/advice welcomed.

We called at Manta on 01 on the old Arcadia. Did not enjoy it as a place to visit, would definately rate it the worst stop on the entire SA cruise. We thought about taking a taxi to Montecristi but decided against it when we saw state of pier & roads! Major holes in pavement everwhere, walked as far as little beach but whole place was disgusting, think the main purpose of ships stopping there is to fill up with cheap fuel!

The ships tour includes a visit to a nut carving factory which appears to be somewhere on the outskirts of Manta and we are unsure whether we could visit this if we were independant.

quote]

I've been trying, with no success, to find a map of Manta. Can anyone tell me if the tacqua nut carving factory is in town and readily accessible by taxi or walking from the pier? From what I've read most cabs are quite reasonable, but I have no idea where I'm trying to go!

Thanks.

We went there last January as part of the ship's tour. It seems to me that it is not in town, certainly not walkable. I believe it is on the outskirts, perhaps a 10-15 minute taxi drive. When one is on a bus, the distances are somewhat irrlelevant so take the above with a grain of salt. The factory itself is quite interesting although it would not pass any safety inspection by North Americans!

Anita

Archived