Will cancelations create upgrades?

My wife and I are booked on The Star in May. We have no plans to cancel .However, based on posts on the roll call it appears that people are beginning to cancel this trip. Not wishing to seem too opportunistic over the difficult decisions people are having to make but....

Has anyone experienced a cruise that had a lot of cancelations? Did it create upgrade possibilities?  We are booked in an aft facing balcony but would certainly be open to something better for a decent price. 
Thanks

• Haha 1

We’re booked to sail on the Bliss on 4 days, and offered a low to moderate bid on a balcony upgrade. We have not been awarded the upgrade. I suppose it could still come through, but the last time my upgrade was accepted we found out a week in advance. I have a theory that they may be saving the balconies for new bookings thinking it would be harder to book their interior cabins after the Princess cruise line fiasco. So I would say give it a shot and good luck, but it’s not as easy as you would expect right now, at least based on our experience.

1 hour ago, GlamorousGirl said:

We’re booked to sail on the Bliss on 4 days, and offered a low to moderate bid on a balcony upgrade. We have not been awarded the upgrade. I suppose it could still come through, but the last time my upgrade was accepted we found out a week in advance. I have a theory that they may be saving the balconies for new bookings thinking it would be harder to book their interior cabins after the Princess cruise line fiasco. So I would say give it a shot and good luck, but it’s not as easy as you would expect right now, at least based on our experience.

Hopefully you hear soon!

Last Sunday we booked 2 inside guarantee cabins on the Escape for an unbelievable price for the sailing this Saturday. I got the upgrade advantage email yesterday, I put in a low bid for 1 balcony cabin and just received the confirmation upgrade this evening. I think a lot of people are cancelling. 

1 hour ago, DreadPirateRobert said:

My wife and I are booked on The Star in May. We have no plans to cancel .However, based on posts on the roll call it appears that people are beginning to cancel this trip. Not wishing to seem too opportunistic over the difficult decisions people are having to make but....

Has anyone experienced a cruise that had a lot of cancelations? Did it create upgrade possibilities?  We are booked in an aft facing balcony but would certainly be open to something better for a decent price. 
Thanks

Yes it will. I sail in 4 days on Encore. On Monday there were 4 suites available, only 2 that hold 4 passengers. This morning there were 26 suites available and 14 that hold 4 passengers. We were awarded an aft suite and I know for a fact there was at least one passenger that bid WELL above what I did. Without the cancellations I would not have gotten an upgrade.

There were very few balcony rooms left over the weekend, today well over 100. Of our small roll call, probably 15-20% said they were cancelling.

I'm scheduled to travel on March 22 on the Bliss and am still deciding whether or not to cancel.  I have a couple of Haven upgrade bids in.  If those bids are accepted before we are 48 hours out from the cruise, does that remove my ability to cancel the cruise?

Edited by tjmaxwell

36 minutes ago, tjmaxwell said:

I'm scheduled to travel on March 22 on the Bliss and am still deciding whether or not to cancel.  I have a couple of Haven upgrade bids in.  If those bids are accepted before we are 48 hours out from the cruise, does that remove my ability to cancel the cruise?

No, you’ll just have a much larger FCC.

On 3/11/2020 at 10:36 PM, TeresaJ said:

Hopefully you hear soon!

Last Sunday we booked 2 inside guarantee cabins on the Escape for an unbelievable price for the sailing this Saturday. I got the upgrade advantage email yesterday, I put in a low bid for 1 balcony cabin and just received the confirmation upgrade this evening. I think a lot of people are cancelling. 

May I ask you a question please?

I see that people get upgrades for little bids but when I try to upgrade they have a min start for the cabin that you are bidding on.  How do you bid $100.00 instead of $300.00?

4 minutes ago, Lisafourty said:

I see that people get upgrades for little bids but when I try to upgrade they have a min start for the cabin that you are bidding on.  How do you bid $100.00 instead of $300.00?

You can’t. You must bid at least the minimum. The minimum varies by sailing and by what category you’re upgrading to/from. For example, I had the opportunity to upgrade from an Oceanview to a Balcony or a Mini-suite. The minimum bids were low ($50 & $75). After doing a paid upgrade (outside the bidding system), I was able to also bid on suites, including Haven. Those minimum bids were significantly higher (starting at $500, up to $2000, depending on the suite category). 

5 minutes ago, kaprin02 said:

You can’t. You must bid at least the minimum. The minimum varies by sailing and by what category you’re upgrading to/from. For example, I had the opportunity to upgrade from an Oceanview to a Balcony or a Mini-suite. The minimum bids were low ($50 & $75). After doing a paid upgrade (outside the bidding system), I was able to also bid on suites, including Haven. Those minimum bids were significantly higher (starting at $500, up to $2000, depending on the suite category). 

Ok

I guess the cruises I have gone on are just not giving upgrades at good prices.  The least I have ever seen is $100 pp fron an ocean view to a balcony  

Thank you for this informtion

On 3/12/2020 at 12:01 AM, tjmaxwell said:

We just got notification today, 48 hours before the cruise, that our upgrade bid was accepted. Unfortunately they put the wrong travelers name on the credit card and it didn’t work, and the app doesn’t allow changes to the booking within 48 hours so we can’t fix it. I called and was told to email them. They said if cabins “become available” they will run the card again with the correction..... But I can tell you they waited to the last possible minute to process upgrades, at least ones without high bids... 

18 minutes ago, Lisafourty said:

You slide the bar on the screen left or right to increase or decrease the bid but they set the minimums so maybe that's why it won't let you adjust.

We booked gurantee inside cabins. Minimum bid was $50pp for balcony. I bid $75pp and the bid was accepted. We got a midship balcony on the 14th deck. Of course, we are supposed to leave tomorrow and have no idea if we will actually be cruising!🤷‍♀️ I think because a lot of people are cancelling, we got the upgrade.

1 hour ago, TeresaJ said:

You slide the bar on the screen left or right to increase or decrease the bid but they set the minimums so maybe that's why it won't let you adjust.

We booked gurantee inside cabins. Minimum bid was $50pp for balcony. I bid $75pp and the bid was accepted. We got a midship balcony on the 14th deck. Of course, we are supposed to leave tomorrow and have no idea if we will actually be cruising!🤷‍♀️ I think because a lot of people are cancelling, 

You were lucky.  That's a good cabin.

Hope your not sailing NCL tomorrow.  NCL just suspended all 3 of there cruise lines until April 11th. This just happened in the last hour.

Here is an update to this post .

Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Azamara has just suspended there sailings starting tonight at midnight for 30 days.

😞 😞

Edited by Lisafourty