Southwest Air

candaceandjason

My fiance' and I are trying to book a flight from Jackson, MS to HOBBY on Southwest (we heard that they were cheaper) for our honeymoon on June 25. Southwest is (and has been for a while) only booking through June 9. Does anyone know why?

I was at a conference in Canton in December. Flew into Jackson. I would take a look at AA flights instead of Southwest. The airport was really messed up that day and AA sure had its share of problems. But Southwest finally gave up and cancelled the later flights to Dallas. Left about 200 people to wait until the next day. AA only left about 40 people and a lot of those were volunteers, who opted to take the next day flight for cash vouchers.

Make sure you leave the day before your cruise to allow for all contingencies.

Just wondering why AA would be better? From Jackson to Houston Hobby on SW would be one flight, non-stop, and on AA it would be 2 with a change of planes.

On AA they would have to hub and spoke it through DFW, and one who lives in Dallas, I have had my fair share of problems at DFW.

Non- stop is always best, and if you're worried about bad weather,(which I am assuming really messed up the airport that day), go a day earlier.

Sea-hawk

Just wondering why AA would be better? From Jackson to Houston Hobby on SW would be one flight, non-stop, and on AA it would be 2 with a change of planes.

On AA they would have to hub and spoke it through DFW, and one who lives in Dallas, I have had my fair share of problems at DFW.

Non- stop is always best, and if you're worried about bad weather,(which I am assuming really messed up the airport that day), go a day earlier.

Sea-hawk

Yes, Southwest would be nonstop. However, IF there were problems at either Jackson or Houston, you are not going anywhere. At least with AA, you have a shot getting to DFW or someplace. The weather problems were just east of Dallas the day I was in Jackson. AA flies JAN/DFW around and around on RJ. When the problems happened, they brought in a plane from STL and were able to take care of most of their passengers. Southwest left theirs sitting at the airport.

Continental also flies nonstop to Houston.

It sounds a though that was an isolated incident due to weather. As a frequent flyer on both carriers, I know that could happen to anyone, but actually seems to happen more to AA than SW due to their hub and spoke system.

I would still opt for a non stop over any connecting flight, and since CO offers them also, that's all the better. It would be wise, if feasible, and usually it is not, to go a day early. If all else fails, the drive to Houston is only 7 hours. :rolleyes:

Sea-hawk

Archived