What's "formal enough" for 10 year old boys?

Slacks, button-down shirt and tie. No polos, no shorts. A jacket would be nice. Why does everyone want to do the minumum?

The OP wanted an opinion. The OP wanted suggestions. She did not imply that she wanted to do the minimum. I'd say jeans are the minimum.

I wanted a nice family picture taken so I dressed my 9 year old son

in a hand-me-down jacket for the first formal

night and then had the family pose for as many formal pictures

as we could find. The better the kids cooperated with the photographer,

the better the chance my son could ditch the jacket on the second

formal night - that was his incentive to smile :).

We ended up with a beautiful picture that we

sent out with our Christmas cards.

You know, kids are great, I have one myself, but by 9-10 they are old enough on a cruise ship to stay at the kids club . . .

my plan, and it works great, is to always get the late dinner seating -

Get the kids fed at Windjammer or johnny rockets - around 6-6.30 -

then the kids are fed and they can go join the kids club activities - play video games - whatever, and ME nd MY spouse can enjoy a leisurely dining room dinner with wine and mulitple courses and then, when dinner is over, have them come to the dining room around 9.30-9.45 when the activities start winding down, and they can have dessert.

We have a nice, romantic dinner all dressed up nice and they can hav fun and we join back up for dessert and coffee . .

I love early seating WITH my kids, two boys, 10 and 13. They didn't complain about dressing up (well, just a little grumbling when we were packing). They loved going to the dining room with us. Our waiter spoiled them, and every night my oldest ordered something he had never tried before. We never asked for the kids menu either. They can get burgers and chicken fingers anywhere. They loved being able to pick anything on the menu.

Our meals were so enjoyable that I'd miss the kids terribly if they weren't at dinner with us. We all looked forward to each dinner, to just relax and talk about our day. We like to keep the word "family" in our family vacations.

Kelj - I understand the 'family' in family vacation - my son is family too, so he get a vote on vacation - if he wants dinner with the adults and lobsta, then he can have it - he usually prefers pizza and burgers with the new friends and then come back for cake and soda . . . and tell us about his evening and what he did.

This is one of the few times during the year he can make decisions about spending his time and NOT be overruled by his parents. . . kids like that u know!

Lighten up OC, I was one of the "other" people, if you read my "please explain" post, I wear my dinner dress uniform on the first formal night, and my tux on the next formal night. Don't paint with an overly broad brush.

Thanks,

Wraithe

It's been said a pig in a tux is still a pig. It's not about the clothes its about the person. I wear a suit and tie on formal night. It doesnt make me any better then the guy wearing a sport jacket or a polo shirt. Posting your opinion is fine but as soon as the poster resorts to calling people slob's not only do they lose all credibility, they invalidate their argument. The way people post their opinion can tell you alot about a person. ;)

True, True!

Just back from a cruise & I was torn about this same issue -- ended up w/ Khakis, button down shirts & a tie for my 8 yr old boy. They are little & a tie makes them look dressed up regardless. My 2 yr old daughter on the other hand -- had lots of fun dressing her:D

Girls are just so much more fun to dress, aren't they? :)

I have 2 boys and 2 girls. When the boys were younger, really the only time they needed to dress up was for our annual cruise vacation, so I would just put them in nice khakis, long sleeve dress shirts, and a tie. Now that my oldest is about to be 18, he has a suit for our upcoming April cruise that we purchased for a school dance last year. I don't mind spending the money now, knowing he is not going to outgrow it in a few months.

In the cruises we've been on, I've seen a fair number of boys dressed this way.

Hope this helps and have a great time.

You know, kids are great, I have one myself, but by 9-10 they are old enough on a cruise ship to stay at the kids club . . .

my plan, and it works great, is to always get the late dinner seating -

Get the kids fed at Windjammer or johnny rockets - around 6-6.30 -

then the kids are fed and they can go join the kids club activities - play video games - whatever, and ME nd MY spouse can enjoy a leisurely dining room dinner with wine and mulitple courses and then, when dinner is over, have them come to the dining room around 9.30-9.45 when the activities start winding down, and they can have dessert.

We have a nice, romantic dinner all dressed up nice and they can hav fun and we join back up for dessert and coffee . .

That's great if that works for you. But we like to spend quality time dining with our two boys (now 12 and 14). We have done this for the last 5 years since they gave up the kids menus at the ages of 7 and 9. They are now a pleasure to dine with and have fantastic table manners that always attract positive comments from others. My kids like to eat proper grown-up food in a formal atmosphere, I wouldn't dream of depriving them of this, a week of eating at Johnny Rocketts for example would be a nutritional nightmare! :eek: Also, I don't see how kids can learn proper table manners if they are just attending a buffet type meal and I feel it is our responsibility as parents to introduce them to fine dining.

That said, everyone has different lifestyles and I can both understand and relate to couples wanting a romantic night on their own and making use of the kids club facility :)

Each to their own and live and let live!

You obviously don't take time to read......the answer is right at the end AND yes that is on RCI's web site.........

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

Encarta definition of "cocktail dress" - a woman's short evening dress - a short dress, often of expensive fabric and semiformal design, worn for an early-evening social occasion such as a cocktail party

There are other definitions that are similarly worded. Thus a cocktail dress is a women's dress not a child's dress - if I were to follow Ohunion's miopic, "to the letter of the law" interpretation, I'd need to dress my child in a woman's dress.

Also note that it is defined as 'short' - not long, thus all of the ladies dressed in long gowns are not following the 'rules' that RCCI set down.

That's where the work 'guidelines' comes in.

Now if RCCI were to be strictly correct, a cocktail dress is NOT formal - formal wear does not include short dresses (or, for men, light colored suits - technically suits at all).

I'd like to see the 'letter of the law" posters here and elsewhere on 'formal' night - I'm certain not all would pass muster - military dress uniform, nope it is neither a tux or a suit; recylced bridesmaid gown, nope too long; glittery top and tuxedo pants on a woman, nope not a dress; the list goes on and on.

To the OP - in the same way that I'm not going to dress my 10YD DD in a women's cocktail dress to adhere to the letter of the law - you needn't worry about outfitting your sons in brook's brothers three-piece suits. Dressy outfits for boys can include dress slacks and shirts with ties. And you'll see others with polo shirts and chinos, and yet others in nice jeans and clean shirts - all of whom I (and probably 90% of your fellow pax) are all happy to dine with!

Our 14 year old and 12 year old boys will be wearing black trousers (school uniform!) a nice formal shirt and tie.

If I see suits for them at bargain prices just before the cruise I may be tempted, but I am not going to bust a gut to get them jackets.

I think as long as they are wearing formal trousers, shirt, tie, shiney black formal shoes, clean and tidy everyone should be happy. I know that their behaviour will make me so proud that lack of a jacket will be irrelevent.

I feel your pride and know exactly what you mean. :)

It's been said a pig in a tux is still a pig. It's not about the clothes its about the person. I wear a suit and tie on formal night. It doesnt make me any better then the guy wearing a sport jacket or a polo shirt. Posting your opinion is fine but as soon as the poster resorts to calling people slob's not only do they lose all credibility, they invalidate their argument. The way people post their opinion can tell you alot about a person. ;)

It's been said a slob not in suggested attire is still a slob. It's not about the clothes its about the person. I wear a suit and tie on formal night, and sometimes a tux. It doesnt make me any better then the guy not wearing the suggested attire. Posting your opinion is fine but as soon as the poster resorts to calling people pig's not only do they lose all credibility, they invalidate their argument. The way people post their opinion can tell you alot about a person.

Just back from mariner and this is our 5th cruise. SOn is 9. In the past I had him wear dress pants, white shirt and tie...no jacket. But this year he got a real suit as a hand me down, so I took it with us. Also I bought a sports coat for him at a childrens consignment shop...With Kids, they grow so fast I was not going to buy a new suit for one use. You march into the dining room, get table pictures, men take off the jackets and then after the meal you leave. Much ado about nothing to be telling you the truth.

. . .The way people post their opinion can tell you alot about a person. . . .

In re-reading your posts in this thread, I can agree with you on this point. And how you post your opinions tells volumes about you!

It's been said a slob not in suggested attire is still a slob.

I've never heard that said but if you say so I definitely don't believe it.

It's not about the clothes its about the person.

First time I've ever agreed with you on anything.

I wear a suit and tie on formal night, and sometimes a tux. It doesnt make me any better then the guy not wearing the suggested attire.

Funny, that's not consistent with your posting history.

Posting your opinion is fine but as soon as the poster resorts to calling people pig's not only do they lose all credibility, they invalidate their argument. The way people post their opinion can tell you alot about a person.

Here's the difference, you stated "everyone" who didnt dress to "your" standards are slobs. I didn't call anyone a pig. I don't know why anyone would take offense to this statement unless of course you feel you fall into that category. ;)

Formal for a ten year old is where underwear is worn, and under the pants. Wearing a tux on a cruise in the Caribbean is funny enough; to dress a kid like Little Lord Fauntleroy made no sense 30 yars ago, let alone now. All these old ladies who crow how studly their men look in their penguin suits are daft. And wearing a tux won't make you a member of the 400, though it will make you uncomfortable.

Formal for a ten year old is where underwear is worn, and under the pants. Wearing a tux on a cruise in the Caribbean is funny enough; to dress a kid like Little Lord Fauntleroy made no sense 30 yars ago, let alone now. All these old ladies who crow how studly their men look in their penguin suits are daft. And wearing a tux won't make you a member of the 400, though it will make you uncomfortable.

Do you ever type positive posts, or is it your goal to be as offensive as possible? :eek:

Thanks for everyone's 2 cents! I especially loved Onessa's response with the comment about imagining 7 to 12 year old girls following the RCCI dress guidelines and wearing cocktail dresses on formal nights. (That remark really hit home for me because I HAVE a 13 year old niece who had wore a dress much more mature than her years at a recent wedding reception our family attended. In fact, someone else commented that I would look good (and more appropriate) if I had been wearing the 13 year old's dress!) As much as I would have loved a daughter, there are times when I am very grateful for 2 sons. ;)

Cathy

Archived