Coco Beach Club Review - Cococay/Anthem of Seas 3-12-2020

I figured I would share my thoughts on the Coco Beach Club, which we experienced on Thursday, March 12th 2020 on Anthem of the Seas, just in case it helps anyone who is considering buying the pass.  Sorry if this review is all over the place.. I'm trying to write stuff as I remember it.  Please let me know if there are any questions I might be able to answer.

This was our first ever visit to Cococay (5 adults total).  We paid $50.99 per person when the pass was on sale.  We arrived at Cococay in the morning and got off the ship right away (around 8 AM).  I made a bee-line to the beach club, checked in with the Seapass card, got a wrist band, and sat in a lounge chair in the front row on the right side of the club as you look at the ocean.  There are basically two clusters of lounge chairs/umbrellas on either side of the pool, and it was easy to get in the front row by getting off the ship right away.  Even if you didn't get there early, the loungers really aren't that close together compared to the other beaches, and there is a nice clear view of the beach and ocean (the overwater cabanas are off to the sides).  The lounge chairs and umbrellas are very nice ("upgraded" compared to the other beaches), as are the beach towels waiting for you on each lounger.  I heard someone mention that they were going to look into the possibility of buying one of the towels, they were that nice!  Each lounger has a flag you can raise to indicate that you would like to order a drink.  There were servers walking around all the time.  Bar drinks were subject to the 18% service charge plus the 12% VAT; I was glad I chose the Bahama Mama since at least it was loaded with generous amounts of rum (no drink package for me).

We were asked to book a lunch time when we checked in.  The open-air restaurant was nicely shaded and had comfortable seating.  In fact, the whole beach club had comfortable seating wherever you went... there are some beds along the pool, couches and chairs on the pool deck, etc.  Everything is first come, first served, except the cabanas of course.  The food at the restaurant was delicious.  The appetizers were served buffet style, and you choose an entree and dessert to be served; other people have posted the menu, and I did not take any pictures of anything the whole trip, so nothing to add there.  I will say the baba ganoush was super tasty, like I would expect at a nice restaurant back home (way better than the version on the ship).  I asked for Surf and Turf, which is not really listed on the menu, but that gets you half of the lobster portion and a filet; comes with fries and grilled veggies on the side; huge portions!  Everything was cooked right!  The only complaint here is that we had a vegetarian who asked for anything BUT mushrooms, and she was served a portobello mushroom burger!  Seriously, haha.. she said she was full at that point anyway, so it wasn't a big deal but pretty funny.  I had the tropical fruit sorbet for dessert.. that was refreshing.

We tried snorkeling right at this beach with our own equipment.  There really was not much to see (probably because the beach was recently constructed?), but it was nice exercise anyway.  There was only a very slight current to the west; overall it was an easy area for swimming.  The water here was calm (no waves) and pretty clear; it has a very gradual descent; this area between the two sets of overwater cabanas is spacious, and it never felt crowded at all.  I walked around the rest of the island throughout the day, and I was happy that we picked the beach club because it looked like everywhere else was pretty crowded at the other beaches with lounge chairs really close together.  The beach club was quiet and definitely the right place for me.  The bar was playing music, but not too loud.  The pool water was colder than the ocean water; I only stayed in the pool a few minutes; it was a very pretty pool though, and there are some loungers right in the pool water if you want to sit there near the bar.

Overall, we were all very happy with the beach club choice.  We stayed pretty much to the last minute (8 AM to 5 PM).  It was nice being on this side of the island since we were always facing the sun.  I would pay the $50-$75 per person again, but more than that would be pushing it for me..  I would absolutely never ever pay $200pp like they were asking right before we sailed.  Also, next time I would try to stay hungry for the lunch since it was so delicious but I had already had the mozzarella sticks, chicken sandwich, and tacos at that point!! lol... I would recommend getting lunch early at the coco beach club so you can really enjoy it and then get snacks elsewhere if you are hungry later in the day.

That's all I can think of right now. Let me know if you have any questions! I hope this helped! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Excellent review of the CoCo Cay Beach Club. It was spot on! We also were at the Beach Club during our Symphony of the Seas sailing on 2/28/20. We were also one of the first to arrive at the beach club and managed to snag one of the six double beds by the pool. As I looked at the beach chairs in front of us, I could see the flags on them. I wondered what they were for, but you answered my question. We also paid $50.99 pp and felt we got more than our money's worth. Would I pay $199 pp? I'd really have to give that some serious thought.

• Like 1