Cancelling before final payment

gdwest

Final payment is due next week. The cruise in paid in full including gratuities and RC travel protection.  If I cancel before final, will I be reimbursed as credit to my

credit card or a FCC.  Will the non-refundable deposit be refunded.  It is my understanding that is I cancel the travel protection prior to cancelling the cruise itself,

I would be not lose those payments. This decision is so hard to make!

Thanks everyone!!!!!

DH and I were booked on Brilliance of the Seas out of Amsterdam on July 4, and since we're both older, high-risk, passengers we definitely didn't want to go.  Since Final Payment is coming up soon I went and ahead and called RCCL today and cancelled.  First of all, they answered the phone right away!!!!!  Don't know if it was because I called the C&A number but I was happy to not have to wait for hours.

Since it's before Final Payment date, they are giving me the $900 deposit in the form of FCC and the rest of what I've paid toward the cruise is being refunded back to my credit card.  The FCC should show up in 3 to 5 days and the credit card credit should show up in 7 to 10 days.  The refund for the dining package has already shown up on my card.  I had not prepaid the gratuities or for RC travel protection so I can't say for sure what they'll do about that.  I'm pretty sure they'll refund the gratuities but don't know about the travel protection.

Anyway, if you cancel after the Final Payment date then a larger portion of your refund will be FCC instead of $$, depending on how close the sailing is.  The recording will tell  you to wait until closer to your sailing date to cancel your cruise, but if you've paid more than the deposit and you want $$ instead of FCC, then I wouldn't wait.

Now I'll have to deal with Delta and Chase Sapphire (who I booked the hotel through), but I have time for that.

BTW, I agree that it is a hard decision.  I've planned this trip for years, and originally had it scheduled for last summer.  I had to postpone it when my mother had to move into hospice 2 days before we were to leave.  Now I'm postponing it again.  Oh well.  Europe will probably still be there next year.

Good luck!

Edited by frisbeewife
more to say...
  • Like 1

I did not cancel my April 9 cruise but RCCL did thus I had the choice of 125% future cruise credit or ALL of my money back.  I opted for all of my money back which included the non  refundable deposit.  I have another cruise out of Amsterdam June 12 and have no plans to cancel.  I will wait for the 48 hours to make decision.

I am super high risk age and health wise but I will take the risk in the hopes all is ok by June.

I cruise Med and TA in Oct/Nov and who knows what will happen in that area.  I want to go but not even sure the ship (Allure) will even operate in the Med this year.  I hope RCCL makes a decision before final payment date so we can make other plans.  I know what my losses would be to cancel right now but no harm if hoping to get all of my deposit back

• Like 1