Non-inclusive air : lost luggage : what to do?

tom_uk

No, this hasn't happened! (yet....) But I was wondering what the best course of action would be if it ever did.

We're in the UK, and cruising on Celebrity's Galaxy next June, from/to Civitavecchia. We're flying from London Heathrow to Rome the day of the cruise, and we're doing it ourselves - to save money. If all goes well, and it probably will, the question won't arise. But suppose the airline lost the luggage of one or both of us. Should we carry on to Civitavecchia & board the ship (we'll have passports & docs with us, of course), hope that the bags catch up or can be re-routed, and re-stock with what we need? Or should we wait for the bags, try and catch the ship up at a subsequent port of call, and claim the extra expense on our travel insurance?

I'd love to hear from anyone who's faced this dilemmna.

I think I would carry on and board the ship. You can almost always buy some clothes that will get you buy for a couple of days, but you can't make up for missing a couple of days of your cruise, even with travel insurance.

I would never miss a ship due to delayed luggage! Here is what I do, just in case that should happen:

1. We cross pack, just in case one piece of luggage doesn't make it. We both pack our clothes, then we each take out half of each type of outfit and put it in the other's luggage. This way we will be assured of SOME of each type of clothing!

2. Carry-ons: Take one of each type of outfit, swimsuit (if needed), formal wear and accessories, 1 pair of each type of shoes, and anything else that you HAVE to have, ie. meds, camera, etc. This way you will be fine if NONE of your luggage arrives. You will be laundering your clothes, and wearing the same clothes, but who cares!

If you do these suggested tricks, you will be fine!

Archived