Cruising the Yangtze

Spikesgirl

Can't tell you anything about the ships that now cruise the Yangtze. We did it years ago with the now defunct Pearl Cruises. What I can tell you is about my experience cruising the Yangtze. We were on the Yangtze for 3 days and I think in those 3 days I took photos of every different kind of junk there was on the river. The river is crowded with activity. Did you ever read "Ping the Magic Duck" yourself or to your kids? I kept thinking about Ping waddling up the gangplank onto a junk and wanted to pinch myself that I was actually sailing on the Yangtze! It was truly an amazing experience.

Has anyone out there done this? Any feedback would be really appreciated as to the condition of the boat and general overall feel. Thanks in advance!

Charlie

We just cruised the Yangtze in October 2005. Did Regal China cruises, Princess Jeanie ship, as there are only two companies now going all the way downstream to Wuhan. On downstream cruises, all the other cruise lines stop in Yichang. You get off the ship and take a bus to Wuhan, which is a 4 hour bus ride. I did NOT want to take the bus, so chose a cruise that went on to Wuhan.

You will have to decide whether you want upstream or downstream. The cabins seemed VERY small, although my DH stated they really weren't. However, they offered an upgrade to a suite at boarding for $650.00. We took it immediately, after looking at the small cabin. We booked with China Highlights, as the price was about $100.00pp cheaper than booking directly with the cruise line. Price was $485.00pp (pre-suite upgrade) which included pick up at the Chongqing airport, a pre night stay on board the ship in Chongqing, and drop off at the Wuhan airport.

The food was very good, the captain's cocktail party was a hoot (the captain could not speak English and everyone was trying to speak to him), the onboard tour guides were very informative, and I got to see the locks and Three Gorges dam.

I was EXTREMELY pleased with the service and would go again with Regal China in a minute. I believe that the Victoria ships have larger cabins and balconies but I wanted to ride down the river, all the way to the airport in Wuhan. It was a fantastic experience.

Sandy R - I loved "Ping" - Captain Kangaroo read it to me:D I will be on the look out, just in case I see him!

Greatam - thanks for the feedback on the rooms. How exciting. I'm just hoping my back, which wasn't that much of a problem when I posted will allow the trip. The Yangtze has always been the pinnacle of exotic travel to me and I'm frantically excited about the possibliity.

Thanks to everyone who read and responded. You've given us lots to think about!

Happy Sails

Charlie

• 1 month later...

I also loved Ping and still have my original copy from Captain Kangaroo's book club.

My DH and I cruised on the Yangtze in Aug 2003 right after the SARS epidemic in China. We managed to get in on a great 10 day deal and had a 4-day cruise on the Victoria Empress. The tour was with Ritz Tours out of NYC and China. We had a wonderful time, the cruise was wonderful and the Yangtze was everything I dreamed of.

The cabins were small but not too small and the crew was great. Most everyone spoke English and that made it easier.

I hope you have a great time!:D

Gosh, I miss Captain Kangaroo...and Mr. Greenjeans...even Mr. Moose. Think that was what started my wanderlust - all those songs they used to play with tropical background (Bali Hai, Faraway Places). Never thought as a kid that this would actually happen. He's also to blame for my love of reading and bananas!

Kuhnskorner - did you do the climb up to the Kengdu temple? I'm having back surgery next week and good friends says it's claustophobic and not worth the effort. Greatam said that he knew a couple that did the climb and thought it was over-rated. More opinions the better!

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Charlie

Hi

We are considering a 15 day Asia cruise on July 31. It is 9 days on the rivers and 5 days in the major cities, There is a 4 day Hong Kong add on. For more info go to the river cruises board

Irv

When I posted this, I should have mentioned that it is part of Princess's land tour package. We wre just curious what others had seen and done on their time on the river. Greatam was a ton of help with this and we are very excited to be doing this. I know it will be an experience we will long cherish. Hope you have a great cruise!

Happy sails,

Chalrie

Archived