"Crewed Yacht" - the Moorings

frequent traveler

Looking for any input on the The "Moorings" cruises -- called a "crewed yacht" - no more than 4 or 5 cabins - "all -inclusive" cruise at the most informal level it appears.

Has any CC poster sailed with them recently? As the ports get more and more overrun with large and mega large ships this alternative seems very attractive.:)

Thanks

FT

• 4 weeks later...

We are wondering the same as you. My husband and I are seriously considering planning a group trip like this - possibly for the summer of 07. Not much input here, but it does sound wonderful.

Andrea

• 2 weeks later...

How funny that I ran across this post. It was just the other day that I was sitting around a dinner table having a big, big laugh with fellow Moorings "sailors" re: our shared experiences on our luxurious Moorings crewed yacht experience. First, to be fair, it was 10-11 years ago. Single hull, about 60' boat with a "very experienced" crew. Time eases all pain and makes for lots of laughs. I get the Moorings brochures to this day and am very tempted but would offer these thoughts. Really check out your "crew" and speak with past passengers. The crew is usually husband and wife or some other variation of a couple. Ours happened to be at the end of their relationship and liked to threaten each other before bedtime with sharp objects. KNOW who your crew will be! Have them vouched for by both previous clients and Moorings. Accept no substitutions once you've found someone whom you trust. Remember, it's a pretty small boat, weather conditions change, things happen and you want the most trustworthy people as your captain and crew. Plus, the captain and the crew will help set the ambience of the cruise.

I think, since our adventures, the boats have improved greatly...mostly Morrings uses nice cats now because they have been specifically designed to have "equal" ensuite cabins for 2-3-4 couples.

Food: You are given a list to choose your requirements beforehand but make sure that is what is loaded onto the boat. You cannot be guaranteed everything in the islands of course but our "chef" totally ignored our list and said "people always say that's what they want (lo fat or...) but when I cook them my recipes (fat laden) they are always happy".

None of these issues will occur if you can afford to have enough people to hire a real "private" yacht (70-80-90+ ft) through someone like Lynn Chaney (sp?) on the east coast. Moorings is middle class and much more affordable but don't expect "luxury' no matter how much they try to entice you.

NB: You will be in very close quarters and pretty much together all the time (not like a cruise ship experience at all). I actully had a great time but only do this with family/friends that you really, really, really like and want to be with all the time. Where you're faking it or uncertain, do a cruise ship and get the group discount. BTW: am looking at Moorings for a gals week with my stepdaughter and neices. This would be a good option for casual environment, beach bars, sun, snorkel, etc.experience. Just what they would like. Have fun....

"middle class and much more affordable but don't expect "luxury' no matter how much they try to entice you"

If you want a cruise ship, don't book a sail boat. I'm a sail boater who occasionally goes on cruises, it only works one way:D

Archived