Non-refundable deposit and final payment due next month

Hello all...we have a family cruise (3 cabins) booked for August 6 on the Grandeur. For the first time ever, I went with the non-refundable route and currently have $1800 tied up. Cruise with Confidence is currently only until July 31st. Needless to say, I don't feel confident paying any more with what's going on. Am I able to change to another sailing further out? I have a TA but I know he is swamped right now. Thanks in advance for any guidance and experience you might offer.

Just now, LisaLeone said:

Hello all...we have a family cruise (3 cabins) booked for August 6 on the Grandeur. For the first time ever, I went with the non-refundable route and currently have $1800 tied up. Cruise with Confidence is currently only until July 31st. Needless to say, I don't feel confident paying any more with what's going on. Am I able to change to another sailing further out? I have a TA but I know he is swamped right now. Thanks in advance for any guidance and experience you might offer.

Given the circumstance Royal may  allow you to change with no extra charge even though it would usually be a $100pp penalty.  It will have to go through your TA as Royal won’t talk to you.  I know that it would be a call that I would make for any of my clients in this situation.

You also have well over a month until final payment is due.  I would wait 4 more weeks and see what happens before making the call.  

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Given the circumstance Royal may  allow you to change with no extra charge even though it would usually be a $100pp penalty.  It will have to go through your TA as Royal won’t talk to you.  I know that it would be a call that I would make for any of my clients in this situation.

You also have well over a month until final payment is due.  I would wait 4 more weeks and see what happens before making the call.  

Thank you, Ourusualbeach. By your response, I surmise you are an agent? If so, I wish you all the best in this challenging time.

I know that, even if it sails, my husband will not be comfortable getting on a ship but I have nothing to lose by waiting a bit.

1 minute ago, LisaLeone said:

Thank you, Ourusualbeach. By your response, I surmise you are an agent? If so, I wish you all the best in this challenging time.

I know that, even if it sails, my husband will not be comfortable getting on a ship but I have nothing to lose by waiting a bit.

Thanks.  I was thinking that within the next month they may extend the July 31 cruise with confidence date.  I believe some other lines have already extended theirs .  That would buy you some more time to decide risk free.  

48 minutes ago, LisaLeone said:

I am booked on Oasis for August 9, so in the same boat as you.  I called yesterday to book the same cruise but next summer. Since we were a week after the Cruise with Confidence deadline they would not let me move the deposit, I would lose the normal $100 per person. However, they recommended doing a hold till the 31st before I have to pay the deposit. She said since things just happened yesterday, there is a chance they will extend the cruise with confidence terms sometime this week.  Wanted to book when the prices were decent and the cabins I wanted were available and before everyone with FCC starts booking. 

If they don't extend it, I am just going to pay the deposit on the new cruise and wait it out till May when final payment is due on the August one to see if they change it. If they don't, I will be out the same $600 as I would if I cancel it today.

Edited by cured
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I agree with Ken.  I waited till 2 days prior to final payment due and made the payment.  When RCCL cancelled my April cruise I had option of 125% FCC or total refund.  I opted for the refund and have had 2 insurance payments and 2 dining package credits to my credit card as of yesterday.  I also made final payment on my June 12 cruise 2 days before final and anticipate that too will cancel and then I will have to make a decision on what to do.  I have read where some posters don't want RCCL holding their $$$ and earning interest.  That doesn't bother me because interest rates on savings accounts are so low for years they aren't going to get richer on the interest on my money.  My accounts are paying 9 to 12 cents a month and I can't even buy a piece of candy for that amount.  Hurry up and wait.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

My accounts are paying 9 to 12 cents a month and I can't even buy a piece of candy for that amount. 

At this point it's better than short term T-bills which are at zero interest and may even go negative (meaning you have to pay them to hold your money).

7 hours ago, Biker19 said:

At this point it's better than short term T-bills which are at zero interest and may even go negative (meaning you have to pay them to hold your money).

I heard that on TV the other day.  Might as well spend my $$$