Uplifting Cruise Tales Wanted

Dori Saltzman

Cruise Critic is looking for uplifting cruise stories to share with the wider world. Did you meet your spouse on a cruise or propose in a way that go the entire ship involved? Did a crew member (or fellow passenger) save your life? Or make your cruise special in a way so far beyond anything you ever expected?

We want to hear all your uplifting and heart warming tales! 

Thanks!

dori

We were on the Gem in 2012 doing 9 days out of NYC to the Caribbean when Sandy started heading north.  We skipped the last port and raced north beating Sandy to NYC on the evening of 10/28/12, but the port was already closed so we headed East to go around the cape and wound up spending overnight in Boston on 10/31/12.  Was fun to people watch, try to figure out who was dressed for Hallow'een and who was in their everyday clothing.  On the way the huge waves shut down the elevators, we had to walk up 8 decks to get to the buffet but many acts, including Second City and the comedian, put on extra shows and the four extra cruise days were not charged, not even the DSC.

The amazing part was it was the only cruise on which I did not gain any weight.  In addition after we missed the NYC port the attendance at AA meetings tripled, met some good folks.

I posted this in response to the same request on the Carnival board.   That thread hasn't taken off, for some reason.  I hope this one does. 

I have read so many sad stories on these boards of items lost on board, never to be seen again, that I wanted to let people know  there are honest passengers and the front desk staff is not always unresponsive or uncaring.  On embarkation day a few years ago on a Carnival ship, I took off my ring to put on sunscreen.  I put the ring in my pocket and promptly forgot about it.  A couple hours later, I remembered it, and it was gone.  It was my engagement diamond which I had had reset after my divorce in a custom design with some added little emeralds.   We had been all over the ship by the time I realized it was gone, so there was no way to retrace our steps.  It may have even ended up in the trash, as at one point I had some tissues in my pocket that were later tossed in a trash can.

Expecting nothing, I stopped by guest services, told my tale of woe, and described the ring. The woman I spoke to went into a back office, and she came back with my ring, carefully wrapped in tissue and labeled with the cabin number of the person who found it. I was amazed that it had been found at all and so grateful that an honest person found it.  I called their cabin to thank them, and I offered them a steak house dinner on me.  She said her 10-year old daughter found it and just wanted to do the right thing.

There is a lesson in this – leave the jewelry on; sunscreen can be cleaned off!