Oceania Insignia Cruise - Port Questions

(I posted this message on the Oceania site & haven't had a response. Maybe I'll have better luck here.)

We've just booked on Oceania's Insignia for their Baltic cruise leaving Copenhagen on August 3. Been looking at the shore excursions and have a few questions.

Tallinn - Does the ship dock close enough to walk to the City? Is it worthwhile to take a tour or can we do it on our own?

St. Petersburg - we were just there last year on another tour, so we don't really want to take the ship's tours. I realize that we'll need visas if we go off on our own. Does anyone know if there's a convenient place to exchange money? Will we be able to walk to a metro/subway station? There are several places that we want to re-visit, but not on a tour, e.g., the Church on Spilled Blood, the Lomonosov porcelain factory store.

Riga - The cruise site doesn't list any tours. Any suggestions?

We're fairly comfortable taking off on our own for a while, but we'd appreciate any comments.

Thanks Bob and Peg

Our Baltic cruise was on a different line (although Oceania has become our favorite), so I can't answer all of your questions.

In Tallinn, we did a self-guided walking tour of the Old City and enjoyed it very much. I found it in a guide book (probably Fodors, Frommers or Rick Steves, knowing me), but I apologize that I can't remember which one.

While doing some research for our next cruise I happened upon this posting for Oceania on CC board. Not sure if you've visited the Yahoo website or not but perhaps you might find some additional assistance for your cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=48602&highlight=Insignia

The link to the Yahoo board is on the thread.

Have a great cruise.

Julia

(I posted this message on the Oceania site & haven't had a response. Maybe I'll have better luck here.)

We've just booked on Oceania's Insignia for their Baltic cruise leaving Copenhagen on August 3. Been looking at the shore excursions and have a few questions.

Tallinn - Does the ship dock close enough to walk to the City? Is it worthwhile to take a tour or can we do it on our own?

St. Petersburg - we were just there last year on another tour, so we don't really want to take the ship's tours. I realize that we'll need visas if we go off on our own. Does anyone know if there's a convenient place to exchange money? Will we be able to walk to a metro/subway station? There are several places that we want to re-visit, but not on a tour, e.g., the Church on Spilled Blood, the Lomonosov porcelain factory store.

Riga - The cruise site doesn't list any tours. Any suggestions?

We're fairly comfortable taking off on our own for a while, but we'd appreciate any comments.

Thanks Bob and Peg

Hey Bob and Peg, Will be on Insignia also so come join us on the Roll Call Boad for Insignia on 8/3/2006.

Follow on the link below to find us.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=253993

Archived