?? for Dr. Fun

Marie-Claude

Hi there Dr. Fun!

I saw from previous posts that you did the Bristish Isles cruise last year, and that you used BusyBus for a private tour in Holyhead. We're looking at booking something with him as well, and I have a question for you.

We're planning to visit Caernarfon Castle and we have 1h15 min allotted for that visit. Is it enough? How long did it take you to do this visit? Is it worthwhile?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

MC

I saw from previous posts that you did the Bristish Isles cruise last year, and that you used BusyBus for a private tour in Holyhead. We're looking at booking something with him as well, and I have a question for you.

We're planning to visit Caernarfon Castle and we have 1h15 min allotted for that visit. Is it enough? How long did it take you to do this visit? Is it worthwhile?

MC

I'm not Dr. Fun, but we did go on a British Isles cruise last year and went to Caernarfon. I think a little over an hour gives you plenty of time there. There are just a few displays in two of the towers. The castle is mostly in ruins. I hope you get a nicer day than we had. Let's say that our wet-weather gear wasn't up to the challenge of the weather that day.

You might also want to look into Conwy, and Beaumarais. Beaumarais is in ruins, too. I'm not sure about Conwy, there might have been some restoration there. The town surrounding the castle looks interesting. I think I'd have been happier with Conwy than Caernarfon.

Here is a link to my review of the cruise.

Thanks Spongerob - great review!

I too hope that the weather will cooperate... hard to predict!

So I guess 45 min. or so would be OK.

The plan is to see:

- Llanfair PG (just a quick photo stop), then go on to

- Caerfernon for 45 min.

- Portmerion for lunch (11am - 2pm)

- Bettws-y-Coed

- and back to Holyhead through Snowdonia

Since I have never been there, this sounds like a varied itinerary to me. We'll see! Any feedback?

It's probably a good choice to visit LlanfairPG early in the day. It was our last stop and there were something like 100 tour buses there. When I said the name means "Big-Ass Bus Parking Lot and Cheesy Tourist Stop, Restrooms in the Rear" I wasn't exactly kidding.:) Personally, you aren't missing much if you skip it entirely and use the time to stretch out your schedule. I think you've got a lot already if you are going to include a stop in Portmerion.

If it is a nice day, I'd allow plenty of time to stop and take pictures in Snowdonia if that is possible. There were some fantastic photo ops that just didn't turn into good pictures for me because I was trying to shoot through a bus window.

Sounds like a good day to me; kind of makes me wish we were going back so we could join you.

Archived