Mt Mckinley Princess Wilderness Lodge

redbeulah

Hi, I have no answer to your question, but just wanted to say that we'll be staying there, too, at the end of May. I think we're there May 25th and 26th. We're sailing on the southbound Sapphire on the 27th.

I hope there's something to do there, too!

Very little in the immediate area. You are about 50 miles from Talkeetna -- which is supposed to be an interesting town. We were there in mid-June. We arrived in Talkeetna via the train from Fairbanks, but were too tired to walk around town. There are some park ranger talks there at the lodge. We ate at the pizza restaurant and tried to sit out on the deck until the mosquitos herded us back inside.

The lodge is beautiful with a great view of Denali/McKinley (weather permitting) but it is pretty much by itself.

The hotel does have some organized activities/tours but there's not much around to really do.

For more information, go to http://www.princesslodges.com

The website for the lodges is very helpful. Thanks, Chenega. It is a beautiful place. The evening we were there, Denali was out until close to 10 pm. I have great pictures of the clouds closing in on Denali. Apparently, the clouds scattered after I went to bed.

Where is the McKinley Princess in relation to the Grande Denali or Denali Bluffs? anyone know?

The McKinley Princess Lodge is south of Denali National Park. It is maybe 100 miles from the park entrance. The Denali Princess Lodge is located near the park entrance. I believe the Grande Denali is on a hilltop just across from the Denali Princess Lodge.

Correct, the Princess McKinley lodge is out in the middle of nowhere. 50 miles from Talkeetna- where the train and most all activities are- flightseeing is just excellent. And 100 miles from the National Park entrance. There is not much in the area. IF McKinley is viewable, it is a great look, but seldom is. Plan your time wisely, you don't want to be shuttling too many times. Every time I'm there there are always plenty of lines waiting for buses and trains, some over an hour. Occupy yourself with a walk about the town, take a look at residential life, There is a nice museum, even a walk out to the airport is nice watching the planes come and go. My favorite eats are at the Roadhouse. :)

Right on the Main St. in Talkeetna, can't miss it. :) From your shuttle stop walk 1/2 "block" to town, turn left, walk another "1/2" block, on your left. Only open for breakfast and lunch. But they usually do have a couple soups in the evening. :)

http://www.talkeetnaroadhouse.com/

Archived