Tortuga Rum Cakes and HR Cafe hats

caribbound

I bought one of the larger $20 cakes in Grand Cayman (banana) last week. I'm wondering how long it's good for once it's opened if wrapped in plastic. Haven't even opened the bag to see yet if there's a "use by" date. It's so big I'd hate to start it when there wouldn't be anyone coming to help eat it, but I don't want it to waste waiting too long either.

Thanks.

Also, the Cayman info page states that they have one of the coolest Hard Rock hats. I'm not a diehard to know what other islands have, but did stop in for a souvenir for my dh and ds. Which hat are they talking about that is so unique to Grand Cayman? I ended up getting the burgandy one w/ a yellow bus and sunset, as well as the burnt orange one w/ two guitars. Unfortunately I let my son pick when dad wasn't home and he picked the burgandy which ends up being much bigger in size, a bit too big for his 12 yo head (though he won't admit it) and then the orange one is too small for dh's head. Ebay doesn't look too fruitful. Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

I think once opened it should be frozen. I wouldn't leave it for any period of time after it's open, but in the freezer, it should last a year or so. None of mine lasted that long though.

I can't wait to buy more, banana, keylime and peach. Sure do love them.

What do the rum cakes taste like? I've never had one. Is the rum taste really strong in all the flavors? I'm wondering if it would be appropriate for me to put one in the teacher's lounge at school. If the rum is too strong, I guess it wouldn't be good to share it during school hours... What do you think? Thanks!

Marie,

I don't think there is a definite taste of rum in that the peach ones, as an example, have peach flavored rum and taste like peaches. The banana ones are the same. The plain ones didn't taste like rum to me, kind of like yellow cake. I prefer Blackbeard's cakes to the Tortuga brand, but that's a personal preference. They are also less expensive I think. They're quite rich, so just a small piece will do. A couple of years ago my niece got married on Grand Cayman and I bought several to bring home with me. They were enjoyed by all who tasted them. I hope to buy more on my Brilliance trip.

Archived