LET'S BUILD OUR IDEAL P&O SHIP

Twogreynomads, you beat me to it! I was just going to suggest a thread like this! haha 🙂

If we're building it from exitsting ships, then I agree, Arcadia's Crows Nest is a great choice. And either her or Oceana's prom decks are perfect.

Cafe Jardin on Oceana is a nice spot. And so is that conservatory bit of Java on Britannia. So can we combine the two? Java Jardin perhaps ?

Atrium, hmm.. Britannia does have the wow, but feels too vast at times. I've never been on the Azura and Ventura's atruims look like a nice compromise of size and "wow".

I'll also second the earlier mention of the Palladium on Arcadia.

Next tricky one... the buffet. I love the linear layout of Arcadia's, but Britannia's had a nicer seating area.

Edited by Monorail Orange

21 hours ago, wowzz said:

Or just use one of the new Saga ships as a blueprint.  Not too big,  all cabins with a balcony,  plenty of single cabins, no children, free speciality dining,  interesting itineraries.  What's not to like (apart possibly from the age of some of the pax) 

The new Saga ships look absolutely beautiful I agree.  The problem for me when I sail solo however would be the price of a solo balcony cabin!  For me, solo cruising is only affordable because I am happy with an inside cabin.

The size and layout of Aurora is great for me.  I would maybe import some of the Art Deco Style of the Cunard ships with a lovely Art Deco rendering on the atrium wall, topped with a glass ceiling like that at the top of Oriana's atrium but of course Art Deco in style rather than Tiffany.  I haven't seen Arcadia's Crows Nest since it was refurbished but the one thing I didn't like about it was the circular bar that got emptied rather noisily each evening...

Something like Oceana's Cafe Jardin would be nice - especially if it replaced shops 😂.  In place of Aurora's Champions Bar, I would have something more akin to the lovely Lord's Tavern on Oriana.

Having been on Azura, there is nothing I would like from her.  Not been on Britannia but The Crystal Room looks nice in photos so perhaps that could be in place of Masquerade.

• Like 1

Oceana's promenade deck is nice but I prefer Aurora's. It does the entire circumference of the ship without an obstruction at the back. I love to sit there and watch the wake. A tiered stern as well. Mustn't forget that, and before I forget lots of  tables for two. 

Avril 

• Like 2

I think we need a glasshouse. I really like the one on Ventura with the tree to sit beneath but the rest of it isn’t great. Maybe high in the atrium as on Britannia but with the tree. 

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

I think we need a glasshouse. I really like the one on Ventura with the tree to sit beneath but the rest of it isn’t great. Maybe high in the atrium as on Britannia but with the tree. 

Nice suggestion. I like the wine cellar aesthetic it has also.

A few cabin improvements as on new Saga ship. The flexible reading light attached to the bedside light and the dimmed bathroom mirror light, useful for night time visits.

Don’t change the White Company shower gel, I think it has a lovely scent.

I think we might need two ships - one Aurora-sized for those of us happy with a smaller ship with limited facilities and one bigger ship (?Britannia-size) for those that like the larger vessels with lots of extra facilities 😃

45 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I think we might need two ships - one Aurora-sized for those of us happy with a smaller ship with limited facilities and one bigger ship (?Britannia-size) for those that like the larger vessels with lots of extra facilities 😃

You're right. I'm booking  Aurora 2nd. 

Avril 

• Like 1

I'd take the best Crow's Nest which is imho that on Aurora (best ship in the fleet)

Set on 3 different levels so everyone gets a great view.   Arcadia's is nice too but all set on one level.

I'd take Arcadia's rear with it's expansive decking and seating out back.

I'd take Aurora's wide teak prom deck and most definitely bring back the wooden steamer chairs there and insist on afternoon tea being wheeled round it on a trolley as before.

A covered pool up top for sure

I'd incorporate an upper rear outdoor restaurant eating area as per Aurora's old Pennant Grill.

I'd ditch any Glass House and bring back Café Bordeaux instead.

I'd take the 3 deck atriums from either Ventura or Azura

I'd take the Raffles bar/café from Aurora and double it's size so people never struggled to get a morning coffee.

I'd bring back large dedicated libraries where people can have a quiet sit and read of a paper or book.

I'd ditch a full half of the stupid shops on-board which are over-priced same old same old fare.  I'd use the space instead for things that provided entertainment or service to passengers like libraries, proper cyber-centres, proper games rooms (for playing cards and board games) and so on.

I would have a typical large theatre at front and a properly tiered seating venue at rear with a large dance floor and cinema screen.

I would incorporate a decadent Andersons bar (as per Aurora/Oriana) and make it twice as big.

I'd incorporate a friendly pub area as per the one on Arcadia.

Of course my underlying ethos and model here would be to deliver extensive service and facilities to customers rather than to use every last square inch of ship space to generate Increased On-Board Revenue, so it's a total fantasy in Carnival terms.

I won’t argue with much of that. I guess it would be approx 2000 pax as you are borrowing a lot from Aurora and Arcadia. Britannia style decor in cabins would also be my choice.

I would want the following in my dream ship;

1. A ship that actually looks like a ship not like a block of flats laid on its side.

2. A crows nest lounge at the front of the ship and a second lounge with a view midships overlooking the one pool (Arcadia).

3. At least one swimming pool with a retractable roof. Better still one midships and a second at the stern where the roof would double up as a helipad for medivacs and other emergencies.

4. A proper promenade deck that encircles the ship.

5. A terrace bar at the stern of the ship.

6. A theatre and a cinema.

7. A library similar to the one that was on Aurora.

8. A bar with a proper theme similar to the Lord's Tavern that was on Oriana.

9. No, I repeat No Retreat. All deck spaces will be open to all passengers.

10. Sufficient open deck space for sun loungers without the need to line them up and space them like sardines.

11. Less greasy spoon "restaurants" and fast food bars. Encourage passengers to take advantage of the formal dining rooms where they sit down and eat good food in civilised surroundings.

12. the ship should be no larger than Aurora or Oriana.

13. A floodable stern dock similar H.M.S. Albion where tenders could be launched and recovered.

14. A maximum of 2000 passengers, I could tolerate that many but I would really like the entire ship to just our party. LOL.

15. Tasteful decoration that has some meaning regarding heritage and sea going history.

Edited by AchileLauro
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AchileLauro said:

I would want the following in my dream ship;

1. A ship that actually looks like a ship not like a block of flats laid on its side.

2. A crows nest lounge at the front of the ship and a second lounge with a view midships overlooking the one pool (Arcadia).

3. At least one swimming pool with a retractable roof. Better still one midships and a second at the stern where the roof would double up as a helipad for medivacs and other emergencies.

4. A proper promenade deck that encircles the ship.

5. A terrace bar at the stern of the ship.

6. A theatre and a cinema.

7. A library similar to the one that was on Aurora.

8. A bar with a proper theme similar to the Lord's Tavern that was on Oriana.

9. No, I repeat No Retreat. All deck spaces will be open to all passengers.

10. Sufficient open deck space for sun loungers without the need to line them up and space them like sardines.

11. Less greasy spoon "restaurants" and fast food bars. Encourage passengers to take advantage of the formal dining rooms where they sit down and eat good food in civilised surroundings.

12. the ship should be no larger than Aurora or Oriana.

13. A floodable stern dock similar H.M.S. Albion where tenders could be launched and recovered.

14. A maximum of 2000 passengers, I could tolerate that many but I would really like the entire ship to just our party. LOL.

15. Tasteful decoration that has some meaning regarding heritage and sea going history.

Seems to me, that apart from #13, you are describing Arcadia.

18 hours ago, Clipper Chick said:

I love Arcadia as she is. Been on Celebrity Silhouette all glitter no soul. The ambience is much much more important to me hence big zero to Cunard as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I absolutely agree with you. That's why I love the smaller ships.

Avril 

5 hours ago, KnowTheScore said:

I'd take the best Crow's Nest which is imho that on Aurora (best ship in the fleet)

Set on 3 different levels so everyone gets a great view.   Arcadia's is nice too but all set on one level.

I'd take Arcadia's rear with it's expansive decking and seating out back.

I'd take Aurora's wide teak prom deck and most definitely bring back the wooden steamer chairs there and insist on afternoon tea being wheeled round it on a trolley as before.

A covered pool up top for sure

I'd incorporate an upper rear outdoor restaurant eating area as per Aurora's old Pennant Grill.

I'd ditch any Glass House and bring back Café Bordeaux instead.

I'd take the 3 deck atriums from either Ventura or Azura

I'd take the Raffles bar/café from Aurora and double it's size so people never struggled to get a morning coffee.

I'd bring back large dedicated libraries where people can have a quiet sit and read of a paper or book.

I'd ditch a full half of the stupid shops on-board which are over-priced same old same old fare.  I'd use the space instead for things that provided entertainment or service to passengers like libraries, proper cyber-centres, proper games rooms (for playing cards and board games) and so on.

I would have a typical large theatre at front and a properly tiered seating venue at rear with a large dance floor and cinema screen.

I would incorporate a decadent Andersons bar (as per Aurora/Oriana) and make it twice as big.

I'd incorporate a friendly pub area as per the one on Arcadia.

Of course my underlying ethos and model here would be to deliver extensive service and facilities to customers rather than to use every last square inch of ship space to generate Increased On-Board Revenue, so it's a total fantasy in Carnival terms.

Pretty much agree with almost everything you say.  In terms of the stern, I do prefer Aurora to Arcadia as she has two separate wake-view bars and plenty of deck space over several decks for people who just want to sit and enjoy the view.  Also, an Andersons twice as big may lose its ambiance, so perhaps just 50% bigger for me.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Seems to me, that apart from #13, you are describing Arcadia.

I partially agree with your points 2, 3 & 11.  Totally agree  with all other points except 13, which doesn't bother me 😃

Some great suggestions as always and the Saga ships look lovely. My only dislike would be the sofa-style seating in some of the restaurants but that could be overcome by insisting on a chair.

We'd prefer a smaller ship up to around 2000 passengers where you meet people and then actually see them again! A tiered stern would be lovely as it used to be our favourite place to sit. The only other thing I can think of that hasn't been suggested is an equivalent to Al Fresco on Oriana where we used to love having breakfast and lunch.

Yes they just about got it right with Al Fresco on Oriana and Café Bordeaux on Aurora.

Not forgetting the terrace bar on Aurora. You can't beat sitting on the terrace on a warm summer's evening having a quiet drink and watching the wake of the ship.

When I previously mentioned a floodable dock at the stern of my dream ship it was pretty much tongue in cheek, but the more I think about it think it the more I think that the idea may have some merit.

Definitely the retractable swimming pool cover/helipad over the rear pool is something that could be explored by marine architects. After all if the ship is to be based in northern waters there can never be enough covered pools on a cruise ship. Not forgetting how often medical emergencies require medivacs and the disruption that can cause because the ship doesn't have that facility.