Easter Coasters? Still fly down day before?

flagger

If you live in a HUB city for airlines on the East Coast, do you still fly down the day before your cruise? If it was in January? I am hoping to save by not having to get an extra hotel stay, but I realise I really could be subject to weather in January. Of course going by this year, I would have had no problem flying down the day of.

We are in Atlanta and fly in on the day the cruise leaves, usually leaving Atlanta early morning (around 7:30-8am or so) and getting to the port around 10:30 or so and have never had a problem getting there on time. We have done this twice to Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. I would suggest taking an early am flight in case there is a problem and you can catch another one.

I live 20 mins from Philadelphia airport and we always go down the day before in case of bad weather or cancelled flights. The added expense of a hotel doesn't really bother us because it gives us piece of mind to know we are already in Floriday and won't miss the ship. We also like to get the party started a day ahead of time.

Also, remember that airline delays and cancellations are not always weather related. We have been delayed twice due to "mechanical" difficulties. If it is the weather, it may not be the weather where you are, but somewhere else that prevents your plane getting to where you are. I would always opt for going a day early "just in case". FYI, we have gotten some good deals for hotels on Priceline and sometimes we just stay in a "bare bones" kind of hotel (translation--clean and reasonably comfortable, but not much else!). For one night it is definitely doable!!! Happy Cruising!

I fly out of Chicago's O'Hare airport, only take direct filghts, and always fly down the day before, regardless the time of year. As mentioned above, weather could be perfect here and at final destination, but the palne could be stuck elsewhere due to weather at that location. Not to mention mechanicle problems causing cancellations.

I am actualy starting to think about start flying down 2 days before, to avoid all the day-before cruisers. Same thing with 2 days afterwards. Not only will this save on stress, but extend my vacation and avoidance of winter weather.

Went down morning of cruise three weeks ago with no problem. Live in a hub city though and had several other flight options if ours was late or delayed. Got there with room to spare and never really worried. Also, wiatched the weather and would have switched if things looked dicey.

We live near Boston but nearly always try to fly in at least a day before regardless of the time of year. Even without delays or other problems, flying in to your departure port city on the day you sail can be a stressful and exhausting process - getting to the airport hours ahead of flight time to traverse the security line, spending a couple of hours in flight, and then locating your luggage, transporting it to a cab or bus and getting to the pier, can leave you exhausted before your cruise even starts. Much better to get all of that out of the way a day or so ahead of time and, on the day you sail, get up, have a leisurely breakfast, and arrive at the port around the time that boarding begins. It also allows you more time on the ship on the first day of your cruise.

The cost of one night in a hotel is a small investment vs: the lost cost of a cruise. You probably will have a 98 pecent chance of getting there with no problem, but that 2 percent would be large enough odds to make the investment.

What's cheaper? Cruise cancellation or interruption insurance or a $125 hotel room?

Atlanta is not an an 'east coast' city!!! They are a southern city- ask William T. Sherman, he'll set you straight.

Live north of the Virginia / NC border I'd ALWAYS recommend leaving the at LEAST a day before - maybe two . . . enjoy the relaxing couple days.

I work in an airport and I can't tell you how many times I,ve seen people who are cruising and go the day of miss there cruise. They all look very stressed for people on vacation. I would opt for the day before just for a little peace of mind.

Last year we flew out of Detroit to San Juan in January. We didn't fly down the day before and nearly paid for it. A huge snow storm hit overnite and our flight that was to leave at 8:30 am didn't leave till 3:00 pm. We just made it. The flight got in at 8:00 pm. The RCCL said they were holding the ship till midnight waiting for thew last few flights from the East Coast that were able to get off the ground. We picked up about 75 people the next day in St. Thomas and the following day in St. Marteen we picked up about 100 people and I heard later in the week about 75 people never made the ship. If I had to do it over again, I'd have us go down the day before.

We cruised a couple of years ago on the Monarch out of Fort Lauderdale. There was a huge snowstorm on the east coast the day of sailing (in late February) and more than 600 people missed the ship.

We were commenting on how "uncrowded" it was all week.

It was a freak snowstorm that paralyzed Boston/New York, etc.

My advice? Keep flying on day cruise leaves -- there'll be more room for the rest of us!!:D :D

We fly out of Boston or Providence RI, if I book air fare thru the cruise line I take my chance and fly the same day the ship leaves, it is RCCL responsibilty to get you to the next port if you miss the ship. If I book air myself we always try to go a day ahead, because if you miss the boat it is your problem to get to the ship's next port. Its just like cruiseing Bermuda during hurricane season you take your chances and hope for the best. but you should always buy trip insurance.

I fly out of Boston and have taken to flying down early as a precaution and also as a way of extending our vacation. I certainly wouldn't judge future winters based on this year's milder one. We've had almost 10 years of heavy snow before this one "nice" winter!

You can get reasonable hotel deals on Priceline if money is a concern. I just know I'm a worrier. We usually travel during hurricane season, so that extra day or two helps my anxiety levels. If you're not as neurotic as I am, take your chances. I would get trip insurance either way, in case of foul weather.

Fly down the day before!

This gives you a chance to repack bags- in the carry on for the ship-have your swimsuit/coverup, what ever else you will need for the day-into evening while waiting for your bags to reach your room.

Like posted above-it also gets you in with some time to relax abit, no worries about rushing down-is my flight ok? did all my bags make it too?

We always go the day before, no matter what time of year. People think that delays can only happen in the winter due to bad weather. The reality is that there can be a delay at any time of year due to weather or mechanical problems.

A few times (early in our cruising "career"), we flew from Atlanta to FLL or MIA (and even Galveston once) the day of departure.

We had no problems, but I consider that we were lucky. I did schedule early flights so that in all cases (except the one we did through the cruiseline), there were at least a couple of later flights that would have worked on our airline and/or others.

But now, I am much happier to go down the day before. As has been mentioned, weather is only one reason flights get delayed. And I can tell you from extensive experience as a frequent flier out of Atlanta, the weather in a distant part of the country can create havoc at a southern airport with beautiful weather.

For me, the trip starts a minimum of 24 hours before the ship sails and all the planning starts with that assumption. For international, our arrival in the departure city must be at least the day before, but is usually a couple of days. Heck, if you're going that far, why not see something of the area?

Flagger, we've lived in Atlanta for a long time and except for the first few cruises we took, always fly in the evening before. We often have thunderstorms which can play havoc on schedules. Also since most ships depart out of southern ports the thunderstorms can be happening at that end too. I'd rather be in my departure city the day before so I can arrive at the ship relaxed and happy instead of anxious.

Garry

... AKA Syracuse, NY (average snowfall 120" but in recent years upwards of 160"), we fly in a day early. Our first cruise we foolishly flew in the day of departure, left Syracuse in a snowstorm, hit an ice storm in Washington, where we ran through the airport & were the last plane out before they closed the airport for a couple of hours. Landed in Tampa with no luggage, although it came on a later flight & was there by the time we sailed.

Call me a chicken, but I'd rather spring for dinner & a hotel room than be stranded, especially since this is not the easiest place to fly out of & a connecting flight is always involved.

I live in Jacksonville, FL and always fly down to miami the day before. Avoid and possible problems, plus it give you an extra day on the beach, getting room service (in your hotel) and usually meeting up with your CC friends at a local resturant before gettign on the ship.

First off, we always fly out of NYC, LGA or JFK. We used to always fly down the day before and never had a problem. So I got cocky and the last two cruises we flew down the day of. While we had no weather or mechanical delays, on our last cruise, the airline lost our luggage. We ended up hanging out at the airport for 3 hours hoping our bags would come in on another flight. It never showed and we made it to the ship with only about an hour to spare and barely had time for lunch before the muster drill. I had some clothes in my carryon but my dh just had a polo shirt. "Luckily," our next day was a port day and we spent the morning in Nassau shopping for clothes, paying way too much money, instead of enjoying our vacation. If we had flown in the day before, we could have shopped at Target or another store nearby and not spent $600 on a few essentials. I have learned my lesson and will spend the extra money and fly in the day before.

BTW, our luggage didn't show up for a full week. It was in Las Vegas.

Archived