Easter Coasters? Still fly down day before?

flagger

We have started flying in a day early. Aside from the airline delays you get the extra day of vacation and the relaxation of nowing your distance from the ship is a couple thousand feet rather than a couple thousand miles.

On cruise day you can wake up at a respectable time rather than 5 (or earlier) in the morning. Have a nice breakfast instead of grabbing something at the airport. Knowing you have a short taxi ride not a long plane ride (if the thing ever takes off). Arrive at the port in time to see the poor suckers who have to go back to work tomorrow because their cruise was LAST WEEK.

If in doubt go to an airport on a Saturday or Sunday morning and standby the ticket counter. I will guarantee you will here this sentance. "What do you mean my flight's been delay(or cancelled)? I am going on a cruise in x hours."

On our recent cruise, hubby and I flew in day of the cruise out of Providence. What stress! There was weather to contend with, snow changing to rain. There was a computer problem at the airport and at first they said the plane coming in that we were supposed to get on would have to be diverted. About 10 min later, computer problem fixed (a very bad 10 minutes to be sure!). We had to get de-iced before leaving. All this left us about 2 hours behind schedule. We made the ship, but didn't get there until 3:30. It was not worth the stress. Never again, I will always plan on leaving a day early from now on.

Hey Shirley, did your bags win any money at the tables?? It's the least they could have done!!

I asked them, but ya know, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas! :D (That line came from logan--sorry, it was too good not to use.) ;)

:p We also live on the east coast . ( virginia).. it is hard to believe how fast a snow or ice storm can form, and it can paralyze an airport. We are cruising in Jam. 07, and are all meeting in Florida 2 days ahead... going to get a good head start on relaxing !!

Today, February 8, 2006. It's a beautiful day in Philadelphia. The sun shone most of the day. The temperature was cool, but not cold. Not a drop of precipitation. All planes at Philadelphia International Airport were in good shape. No reports of mechanical difficulties from any line.

But in the middle of the night last night, a UPS cargo plane caught fire and put down on the runway on fire. The airport was closed for HOURS AND HOURS and only a few flights got out, most not on time.

You NEVER KNOW what can delay you. Flying in the day before just makes life MUCH MUCH easier.

The only cruise we ever "missed" was because we were scheduled to fly in the day OF the cruise. We, and hundreds of others, never got to Florida, because of labor/management disputes at USAir in December 2004.

Earlier this month, I flew into Orlando the morning of my cruise, and everything went without a hitch. We actually landed early. Even so, I recommend flying in the day before.

And think I did, then called my online TA who was able to wrestle the actual flight info out of RCCI even though it is over 2 mo early and the flights were AWFUL! Flying from RDU to FTL at 1:30 pm!!! Then the bus to MIA! What were they thinking- then we had to wait until 8pm to leave MIA on Sunday, combined with the long drive from RDU back to our house puts us home early Monday am- and I have to be in my classroom on Monday...

Well- for more $$$ of course, ( but at this pt. cheaper than a hotel room, etc...) we now have a half decent schedule- but will have to leave our house the day of at about 3:30 am to catch the 6:30 am flight to MIA, and sit in the FTL airport until 6pm to get home....

Thanks to all the posters here who got me thinking about this issue, and then the story of the plane fire this AM made me call tonite...

Hindsight is 20/20- next time I'll....:rolleyes:

For many years we have flown to our embarkation city at least one day before the cruise. The purpose is two-fold. First, we get the flying out of the way before the day we get on the ship. That way, on the morning of embarkation, we get up relaxed, have breakfast and hurry to the pier hoping to get on the ship early. We're not stressed out or in winter clothing in a warm weather port sweating profusely.

Secondly, too many times we have arrived in our destination city, but our luggage has not. We would have been in huge trouble if we didn't have at least one extra day for our suitcases to catch up to us. Last November, we flew from Philadelphia to San Diego to cruise to Hawaii. We landed at 12:30 local time, but our luggage did not. US Airways kept telling us all day that they didn't know where our luggage was. The following day, the ship was leaving and would not hit land again for 4 1/2 days. We each had one extra set of underwear in the carry-on. It was going to be a problem trying to last 5 days without our clothing. Finally at 2:30 a.m., our luggage showed up. We really sweated that one!

If we had flown in on the day of the cruise, we would have been royally $crewed. It was well worth the cost of the hotel to have some peace of mind.

The only time we've flown in the day of was from Milan to Barcelona. We were relative newbies to cruising and, although I have travelled for business for years, never paused to consider all of the above parade of horribles. Fortunately, Alitalia got us to Barcelona on time, our bags were on the same plane, and we made it to the ship without incident.

There was one woman at the airport screaming at the RCI representative because her luggage (from the US) had not arrived, and she wanted satisfaction, by god! The poor man only knew enough English to say "Splendour of the Seas" and "Royal Caribbean" plus a few choice phrases, and it wasn't the cruisline's fault anyway. That woman was on two tours with us, in the same clothes both times. I doubt that she ever saw her bags, and she must have done her wash in the sink at night rather than purchase new clothing. At least I hope she did. :eek: We decided then that we would always fly in the day or night before so as to avoid her predicament (of course, I would go shopping for clothes in France and Italy, myself :D )

And not that you asked, but we were 4-5 hours late arriving in port on disembarkation day, so our nice cushion to make our flight went from 5 hours to about 45 minutes. We made it, but have since learned to book afternoon flights or even next day flights from Barcelona, which has an "interesting" port.

So to the extent that you have the time, fly in early. Consider the hotel expense part of your travel insurance. And have a great cruise!

We are in Atlanta and fly in on the day the cruise leaves, usually leaving Atlanta early morning (around 7:30-8am or so) and getting to the port around 10:30 or so and have never had a problem getting there on time. We have done this twice to Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. I would suggest taking an early am flight in case there is a problem and you can catch another one.
The same coming from NY.

I also fly down a day early from Washington, D.C. We do get ice and snow here (except this years record warmth but who knew?) and so I don't have to get up at 5am and be very tired for the cruise. The people at our table left from thier house in Canada at 3am and they looked like they were going to pass out at dinner. The other reason is if the airlines should loose my luggage, there is time for them to get the luggage to me hopefully before the cruise.

We always fly in the afternoon/evening before we cruise, instead of purchasing travel insurance. This alleviates a lot of stress. Exception . . . this Oct. we will be flying non-stop Virginia to NY really early the day of the cruise. We figure, worse case scenario, we can drive it in less than 6 hrs. We’ll keep an eye on the weather and airport delays.

Looking forward to our next cruise . . .

Constellation Oct. ’06 – Western Caribbean

Brilliance of the Seas April ’06 – Panama Canal

Jewel of the Seas Oct. ’05 – Bermuda and Caribbean

Dawn Princess March '05 - Western Caribbean

Caribbean Princess '04 (C752 Cabin off back of ship) - Eastern Caribbean

Island Princess '03 - Panama Canal

Star Princess '03 - Mexican Riveria

Grand Princess '02 - Western Caribbean

Enchantment of the Seas '98 - Eastern Caribbean

Last year we flew out of Detroit to San Juan in January. We didn't fly down the day before and nearly paid for it. A huge snow storm hit overnite and our flight that was to leave at 8:30 am didn't leave till 3:00 pm. We just made it. The flight got in at 8:00 pm. The RCCL said they were holding the ship till midnight waiting for thew last few flights from the East Coast that were able to get off the ground. We picked up about 75 people the next day in St. Thomas and the following day in St. Marteen we picked up about 100 people and I heard later in the week about 75 people never made the ship. If I had to do it over again, I'd have us go down the day before.

We left on Saturday for a Sunday departure from JFK-SJU - Day before we left - SNOW and lots of it. Day we left - Some snow and we were delayed about an hour. Got to SJU about an hour late. Nothing but heavy rain Sunday AM. Once we boarded the AOS - we talked to a bunch of people who tried to fly down day before - One group from Albbany - all flights cancelled Saturday and took 18 hrs Sunday - Just barely made the ship. Another group made the ship - luggage met them in Aruba, Third group got to SJU after the ship sailed but because they had cruise air - RCCL put them up in SJU and flew them to Aruba 2 days later. We are going to SJU in 4 weeks - Constellation - YOU BET we are flying down a day early - JUST IN CASE

We are going on our second cruise on March 4 and we are flying into Ft. Lauderdale the day before our cruise. We live on the east coast of Canada and during the winter you never know what can happen. It's nice to have a cushion and we enjoy starting off our vacation in a warm city.

Archived