Art Auctions

more mangos please

First auction we went to we got to select a LARGE piece of artwork unframed for FREE (I am approximating it was at least 24x30, i'm not at home to judge it right now) It was a great gift. The second auction we went to was a small notebook paper sized piece of 'art' We were NOT pleased. I can't say whether we will try again this time or not.

It's also somewhat amusing that you're condemning the art auction because you personally thought one of the pieces of FREE art was too small. You probably found fault with the free champagne as well, huh?

We've bought Art thru the auction. Most of their prices are comparable to what you could get on land, some are less expensive then on land.

The real deals are on the ones that are already framed and matted. If you can pick those up that's where you save a lot of money.

It is in the eye of the beholder.

Charlie

Art auctions attempt to have something that might appeal to each of their potential bidders. The offerings range from Picasso, Rembrandt and Dali, through a broad variety of styles, including Thomas Kinkade (who is so popular because he makes his fans feel that they're viewing a scene where life was warmer, safer and more spiritually complete) and on the farther end of the spectrum are the Peter Max works, the cartoon cels, and the signed sports jerseys.

And I'm not a Peter Max fan or a Thomas KinKade fan. The purchases I've made on cruise ships tend to be Medvedev, Fanch Ledan, Bellet, Linda LeKinff, and Tarkay. Another advantage of the auction is that you DO get to pick your own frame when you get the work home, which makes the work even more personalized.

Even the little freebie un-numbered prints they give out can be found on eBay selling for $75 or so. And these are not asking prices, they're actual winning bid prices.

The Park Road land auctions are an even better deal. They are already framed, and you can usually get the work (framed) for about the same price you'd pay unframed on the cruise ship.

You should buy what "speaks" to you, and if you're lucky it will increase in value. If it doesn't, you've still had years and years of being able to view something in your home which makes you feel good and pleases you.

You are just as likely to pay too much in a land gallery as you are on a cruise ship. The difference is that on a cruise ship, if you pay too much, it's your fault because you bid too much.

It's also interesting how many people who condemn the art auctions have never attended one, and are actually snobbishly condemning the concept

of an art auction on a cruise ship. Many of the most adamant critics of cruise ship art auctions are in reality complaining because they had to walk through the auction area on their way to BINGO or napkin-folding class and they were "offended".

Allen

Always remember that for you, the buyer, the art is only worth what you can sell it for, NOT what you paid for it.

Say what?

The art is worth what it's worth to you to hang and admire. Anyone buying art retail (including at a ship's auction) in order to resell is a fool. And the auctioneers tell you over and over again to only buy pieces you love.

Some thoughts about art auctions at sea:

1. The prices are lower because of low overhead

2. You have to be careful with Dali because there are so many forgeries

3. Buy what you like and want to hang in your home, not what you can sell it for. But, I have seen many on-land gallery owners stock up for resale.

4. Kincaids (runs are printed in the thousands) are much cheaper than land prices. We have never bought one---don't like them.

5. There are old masters to be had on board. But you will pay mucho dollars for them. Also Picasso, Chagall, Miro, etc. Milennium Rembrandts (8 examples tho one is sold out already) On a Park West VIP cruise there was one, forget the artist, priced at $350,000. Nobody bought it! There was also a Whistler etching---never seen one before, anywhere.

We enjoy the auctions for many reasons. Go if you enjoy them, pass them by if you don't. But don't disparage those who do. That's just not good manners!

Art auctions attempt to have something that might appeal to each of their potential bidders. The offerings range from Picasso' date=' Rembrandt and Dali, through a broad variety of styles, including Thomas Kinkade (who is so popular because he makes his fans feel that they're viewing a scene where life was warmer, safer and more spiritually complete) and on the farther end of the spectrum are the Peter Max works, the cartoon cels, and the signed sports jerseys.

And I'm not a Peter Max fan or a Thomas KinKade fan. The purchases I've made on cruise ships tend to be Medvedev, Fanch Ledan, Bellet, Linda LeKinff, and Tarkay. Another advantage of the auction is that you DO get to pick your own frame when you get the work home, which makes the work even more personalized.

Even the little freebie un-numbered prints they give out can be found on eBay selling for $75 or so. And these are not asking prices, they're actual winning bid prices.

The Park Road land auctions are an even better deal. They are already framed, and you can usually get the work (framed) for about the same price you'd pay unframed on the cruise ship.

You should buy what "speaks" to you, and if you're lucky it will increase in value. If it doesn't, you've still had years and years of being able to view something in your home which makes you feel good and pleases you.

You are just as likely to pay too much in a land gallery as you are on a cruise ship. The difference is that on a cruise ship, if you pay too much, it's [i']your [/i]fault because you bid too much.

It's also interesting how many people who condemn the art auctions have never attended one, and are actually snobbishly condemning the concept

of an art auction on a cruise ship. Many of the most adamant critics of cruise ship art auctions are in reality complaining because they had to walk through the auction area on their way to BINGO or napkin-folding class and they were "offended".

Allen

Allen, you are so right. And I like your taste in art. Fanch and Bellett are my two favorites. And we have LeKinff, Medvedev and Tarkay also. Fanch is getting too big, tho. We don't have wall space left for the size of his work anymore.

I wondered what Marcus Glenn works looked like (anybody who pans Kinkaid or Kincade is a friend of mine) and I found this $12.95 peice on ebay from Park West. I'd bet money that it was a free-be given to someone at a cruise art auction. I only found 1 original on line and it was gallery priced at $3000, so $3300 seem perfectly fair.

As for the arguement that they don't have to play high rent--I am sure that Cruise companies are charging as much as they can to Park West and I, for one, don't by the 'cheap rent' argument. In fact I read on-line here that Celebrity is building Park West a new on-ship gallery to display the art they sale. I can't believe that they would do that without making Park West pay a pretty penny.

Further, where I live, the Gallery space isn't in the high rent part of town but in the trendy fringe area where the rent is cheap. Note that in NYC, Chelsea (or West Chelsea) and not SoHo is the Art District now. Why? Rent.

if you get doubles of the free prints, you can mat them differently and make a very interesting collection, provided of course you actually like the print, if you don't like a free print you can always give it away to someone who does.

I've never found anything at the auction I like enough at it's price, and sometimes I go more to people watch than to bid, but I have purchased other artwork from land-based galleries (hopefully my New Orleans galleries are still there) :(

I'm just happy when I can replace our company's standard, Ducks Unlimited numbered prints with something I actually like.

Garrick

It's also somewhat amusing that you're condemning the art auction because you personally thought one of the pieces of FREE art was too small. You probably found fault with the free champagne as well' date=' huh?[/quote']

this was on Royal Caribbean...there was no free champagne. We were surprized because it was not the same deal as the previous year.

A few of you mentioned "free print" give aways. For those that have taken advantage of this - did you have to pay any fees or shipping costs for your free print? If so, might I ask how much?

For the first time which the print was larger yes, I believe it was somewhere around $30 but my brain is a little fuzzy on the exacts, we had bought another piece of art and they shipped together for the same cost. The second time, they were like 9X11 prints which were given out at the auction and could be put in your luggage.

if you get doubles of the free prints, you can mat them differently and make a very interesting collection, provided of course you actually like the print, if you don't like a free print you can always give it away to someone who does.

I've never found anything at the auction I like enough at it's price, and sometimes I go more to people watch than to bid, but I have purchased other artwork from land-based galleries (hopefully my New Orleans galleries are still there) :(

I'm just happy when I can replace our company's standard, Ducks Unlimited numbered prints with something I actually like.

Garrick

I didn't think of that idea....at my job we have these HIDEOUS prints of scissors! They are about 5 foot wide by 9 foot long. Very very unattractive.

Just for fun, I did a search on ebay--a true marketplace with millions of buyers and sellers--for Art and "Park West" and found quite a few 'works' for sale ranging from $8 to about $180. Most said they had a certificate of authenticity from Park West.

Two things I noticed:

1. Many pieces were described as 'signed in the plate' which means: "This Artist NEVER Signed THIS item. The signature is STAMPED on."
  2. Some had an appraisal from Park West as well. Folks, if the Appraiser is trying to sell you the piece or buy the piece from you--they aren't acting as an appraiser--they are acting as a dealer.

A few of you mentioned "free print" give aways. For those that have taken advantage of this - did you have to pay any fees or shipping costs for your free print? If so, might I ask how much?

we have several "free" pieces still in shipping tubes. they impose free, however, they apply the buyers premium, shipping, framing (if it applies) etc. so a free print never is really free.

however, one of the good deals is the "TO" (take off) art. the frames are usually banged up a bit, but you can get some pretty darn good deals.

btw, moremangoeplease, we got our original piece today! haven't unwrapped it, waiting for dw to get home from work. but, i think we paid a fair price for it and who knows someday he could be as desired as max!

But with the "blind bidding" you don't have to take it if you don't want it and they will let as many as want it take it. We have gotten some good buys on stuff we wanted. If we like it and the price is right we'll buy it. Every now and then they do have very good prices. We do our home work before we go. Then we go to the auctions for fun.

Correct we did a "mystery bid", we paid $ 200.00 for a Kincaide. It's the one of Lombard street in San Francisco, we bought it. Took it home had it framed for a cost of $ 211.00. It is selling on ebay for $ 1500.00. I took it to a friend of mine who is in the business, he says I got a great deal. If you do the mystery bid and they turn around the picture and you don;t like it you are under no obligation to buy it.

I think of the art auction just the same as any other entertainment on the ship. If you have a good auctioneer it is quite fun. There are so many artists I have learned a little about. Yes, I have bought art at the aution, but since my knowledge is limited to what I like, I feel I have made good decisions. I have bid on the "blind items" and actually purchased a framed "Curse of the Babe" for $125.00. I gave it to my DH and DS for Christmas, they love it. Anyway, sometimes it is a good way to spend an hour or two and sometimes not...

• 3 weeks later...
After the cruise we just returned from I need to correct my previous post. We also got in on a few of the blind bids this time, walked away with a pair of Kinkades (who I adore) and another artist (can't recall the name right now) but he paints beautiful waterscapes with boats, and surrounding areas. And yes, while on Celebrity we did have the complimentary champagne as well. We attended 3 of the auctions and walked away with WAY too much art :o

Archived