Xpedition Faces Possible 60 Day Suspension.

FRE23

"By the way, Celebrity is under a bit of a legal cloud right now - the Galapagos National Park has suspended its cruising license for 60 days following an incident where some of its staff had been caught fishing illegally for shark fins - but it is not clear if the Park will actually enforce the suspension - Celebrity - owned by Royal Caribbean - is currently questioning the ruling in court)."

The above quote was taken from a Trip Advisor Forum. I called my travel agent to confirm. She had just received the same info from her Trade Magazine. I am concerned as we sail mid March. Anyone else out there with additional news, please share. Thanks. Sharon

I found many articles about this incident. See the links below or search by Celebrity Xpedition Shark Fishing and many links will come up explaining the situation.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/miamiherald/business/12827446.htm?source=rss&channel=miamiherald_business

http://www.expeditions.com/aboutus/images/prpdf/09302005.pdf#search='celebrity%20xpedition%20shark%20fishing'

We were aboard the Expedition last fall when the story first came out. The captain and our CD both addressed the issue with the passengers. The local police came aboard for a few hours and questioned some of the Celebrity crew. My personal take was that Celebrity was guilty of hiring some local folks who were young and maybe not so bright. A fine seemed appropiate.

Just rememeber that there is a long history of strife between the Park Service and some of the local folks, especially with regards to the right to fish in local waters. While its easy to support the concept of the National Park, the more complex issues of how to compensate folks who lived there before it was a Park have only been partially addressed. Indeed, its arguable that the standard of living for a fair number of folks in the Galapagos has been negatively impacted by the creation of the Park and that most of the economic benefit flows to mainland Ecuador.

Frank

Just had lunch today with my TA who wanted to hear all about Xpediton from me as their first client to go. She said Xpedition was going to have a 30 day suspension in May. Celebrity appealed, and they had to fire the 2 workers who threw the trash overboard to get reinstated to sail. So all is back on schedule. They did not actually have to cancel any cruises. But I'll bet they'll pay more attention to where thetrash goes.

Susie

I believe this is a separate incident involving trash and a 30 suspension in May. But it ended well. My TA wants me to come into their office and give a talk to their agents and show my pics to help them sell Xpedition. I'm willing as long as I get a discount on a future cruise from them : ) I've become the local Galapagos expert by default.

Thanks for the info, Susie. I, too, have become known as the Galapagos expert. Friends who are going this summer are coming over next weekend to see our pictures. Unfortunately, My TA's boss also went on the Xpedition so I get no freebies from them :(

Susie,

I thought Jan was your TA ? (ducking ...)

Sheila,

You should get comp'd on your Galapagos trip primer ... We were much more prepared, especially since the trip is different from a lot of perspectives (packing, meds, etc.)

We're looking forward to sharing our latest Oceania pics with you when we return in July ... we'll even have a pic of Susie as she'll be touring with us.

Frank

• 2 weeks later...
I am seriously worried we were just getting very excited as we sail on the 5th March there has been nothing here in the uk about this do keep us informed please obviously it is news in the USA.

Mike

I just found this site, and read your post. We are on the March 5th trip as well, so we will see you. I'm the big bald guy with the short cutie.

See you in Quito

We were aboard the Expedition last fall when the story first came out. The captain and our CD both addressed the issue with the passengers. The local police came aboard for a few hours and questioned some of the Celebrity crew. My personal take was that Celebrity was guilty of hiring some local folks who were young and maybe not so bright. A fine seemed appropiate.

Just rememeber that there is a long history of strife between the Park Service and some of the local folks, especially with regards to the right to fish in local waters. While its easy to support the concept of the National Park, the more complex issues of how to compensate folks who lived there before it was a Park have only been partially addressed. Indeed, its arguable that the standard of living for a fair number of folks in the Galapagos has been negatively impacted by the creation of the Park and that most of the economic benefit flows to mainland Ecuador.

Frank

Sounds like we were on the same sailing. Someone died on my sailing were you on that sailing Frank? I went Sept. 23 2005 and remember the same info coming out in written form left on our beds about this incident. I also remember the local law enforecement coming on board to question the crew.

To everyone who is going to go on the Xpedition I have a tid bit for you....Ask the bar tender for a chocolate milk shake, it's not on the drink list but a real popular drink as soon as someone sees you having it.

Hi Karyn8,

Yep, same sailing. So *you're* the one that started the chocolate milkshake craze? We laughed when we came back on board and saw everyone gathered in the bar drinking milkshakes at 11AM ... like a bunch of little kids in a candy store.

Frank

Yep that was me Frank. What a small world. I thought I'd pass that little tid bit along so others could enjoy their milk shakes. I wish I could remember who you are because it was such a small group of 59 we all got to know eachother. We probably sat together in the dinning room or on a zodiac. What's your wifes name? My Husband is Richard, does that sound familiar to you? Where's your next adventure? We're sailing on Celebritys Constellation to Canada/New England Oct 5 2006 and Jan.15 2007 we're going on the Marco Polo to Antartica. We manage to get away for two big vacations a year. If it weren't for work I'd be going more often but they just refuse to pay me when I don't show up for work!

I just found this site, and read your post. We are on the March 5th trip as well, so we will see you. I'm the big bald guy with the short cutie.

See you in Quito

"The short cutie". Is that what your wife calls it??!!!!!

Archived