Alaska with RCI

We were on Ovation in  the round trip from Seattle last summer.  We mostly picked based on the ship, as we were traveling with teens.  We wanted to make sure there was plenty to keep the kids happy, lol!  However, we did find that we enjoyed the large ship and all the choices we had on it.  It was our first return to RCI after 3 Disney cruises...and we found that we didn't enjoy the dining room every night after having the Disney rotational dining room experience.  We were happier once we found Solarium Bistro. 

That being said, if it was just us adults going, I would choose the itinerary that got me the most experiences in Alaska. It really depends on how you like to travel...what is more important to you...the options onboard a bigger ship?  Or more places to explore?

As far as a balcony, we absolutely loved having ours.  We brought binoculars, and would sit out there with coffee, snuggled up in pajamas and blankets (yes, it got cold out there, even in July), looking for wildlife.  So much fun sitting out there looking for seals and other animals!

On 5/25/2020 at 12:07 PM, twangster said:

Four times to Alaska, one on X, Explorer, Radiance and Ovation.  

Each has their own merit.  Each has favorite moments.  The one-way North/South typically go to Hubbard Glacier which is pretty awesome.  

Top ship would be Ovation.  Top itinerary were the one-way with an exception.  I was fortunate to be on Ovation's maiden Alaska 11 night cruise which was an all time favorite but that was a one time itinerary never to repeat.  

Twice in inside cabins.  Balconies are great if you have the money but I'd rather put my money into excursions which are pricey in Alaska.  Excursions are the way to experience Alaska and by booking an interior cabin I saved thousands which went directly into pricey excursions like a helicopter ride to a glacier.  I'll never forget walking on the glacier and with each subsequent cruise to Alaska those memories flood back everytime.  If I was rich I would do expensive excursions AND a balcony but sadly I'm not rich so given the choice I put my money into excursions.    

For one-way I prefer Southbound, starting the cruise with some time in Anchorage followed by a ride on the Alaskan Railroad from Anchorage to Seward.  The train through Alaska is an incredible experience and great way to kick off the adventure.  

For the one-way cruises I booked airfare as two separate flights which wasn't that bad and not that much more than Seattle round-trip in the bigger scheme of things.  

I wouldn't hesitate to book out of Seattle or another one-way.  The idea of B2B one-way is very appealing and something I looked at on a last minute basis this year before cruising abruptly stopped.   My first time was one-way because research seemed to indicate that a one-way was the proper way to do Alaska.  Having since done a Seattle round trip it was pretty awesome as well so I don't preach the "one-way is the only way" philosophy any more.  No wrong way to cruise to Alaska, just find a way to do it.

I'm planning my next Alaska cruise now and will be booking Quantum class.  Having been to Alaska four times before it's now more about the ship and Quantum class beats Radiance class for my needs and likes.  

I was also on the 11 day Ovation cruise which was my first Alaska trip.  I'm going back in May 2021 but starting in Anchorage and doing a cruisetour for a couple of days and going on a smaller ship on Princess.  I want to go to Glacier Bay.

• Like 1

I've been on 4 different cruise lines, royal being my favorite BUT we did Alaska on celebrity because in my opinion, Alaska is ALL about itinerary. 

wanted to go the Vancouver to Seattle , so we could do train up FROM Seattle. 

loved seattle, loved train , loved all ports, too tired to care what ship or cruise line we were on.

Hated Vancouver customs and hated Vancouver seaport.

if I knew someone who wanted to go to Alaska i would recommend Hal eurodam , just for itinerary ( never been on hal)

Ps excursions cost us more than the cruise, would do it ALL again

And definitely get a balcony

Edited by newcruzer2

22 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

did rci get their Glacier Bay problems straightened out?

I read they were supposed to finally go there and then all the itineraries with Glacier Bay were changed with Glacier Bay gone from the itinerary.

It appears that royal can not get their foot in the door of glacier bay.  I think they only let 2 ships a day in there and holland america and princess has that site locked up.

3 minutes ago, gerig said:

It appears that royal can not get their foot in the door of glacier bay.  I think they only let 2 ships a day in there and holland america and princess has that site locked up.

OK thanks . I know they were banned for awhile but it was either last summer ortrips scheduled for this summer that they had some cruises for sail going to Glacier bay and then they got switched .