Which information is correct?

From what I've read on this board, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing at Royal.  We had a cruise booked for July 2020.  In mid April, before final payment, we were looking at our options.  I called the 1-800 number and talked to a representative.  She told me I could move my deposit on the July 2020 trip to a July 2021 trip.  I booked the trip.  She told me I would receive and email in 7-10 days with a form with my credit.  I would have to call  by May 31st and tell them to use that credit as my deposit on the July 2021 trip.  We decided to go with this option (as opposed to paying the final payment and hoping they would cancel -which they eventually did) because we really wanted to go on this itinerary, we didn't mind waiting another year, and we weren't out any additional money until final payment.  So, 3 weeks goes by and I still haven't received an email.  I call again.  I'm on hold for over 2 hours.  At the end of it all the rep tells me something was done incorrectly and NOW I'll receive the email in 7-10 days.  Another 2 weeks go by with no email.  So I try calling again.  I'm on hold for over 2hours every day, but can't get ahold of an actual person.  Yesterday, I finally connected with a person.  I was again on hold for over 2 hours while she tried to figure things out.  I then talked to her supervisor.  This is when he tells me that the first person gave me incorrect information and I can't use my deposit on my new cruise.  I will have to give them another deposit and then I can use the $750 credit to bring down the total balance.  If this was the case, why would I have had the May 31st deadline?  Which information is correct?  I'm so upset if the latter is true because we would NOT have committed to another trip in July 2021 if we knew RC would then be holding $1500 of ours.  What recourse do I have if they gave me bad information?  Any other options besides just losing my $750 deposit altogether?   I had a friend booked on another cruise who just lost $100 of her nonrefundable deposit and they gave her the rest of it back as a refund.  I'm so confused.