airline help

tenbylin

Hi, does anyone know if there is a web site where you can see how often the flight # you have booked, cancelled. We are flying in the night before our cruise, but we don't leave until 7:30 pm. We are flying american airlines. They only have 3 departures a day going to mia. I'm starting to get nervous after reading all these theads about flights getting cancelled. if they do cancel our flight we have one flight leaving early the next morning ( which will be ok ) then another one in early afternoon ( this will cut it very close ) then the 7:30 one ( we will be waving bye bye to our cruise ship ) i would like to see if there is a web site to see how often this flight gets cancelled.....any help:eek:

Airlines cancel flights when no one is flying on the flight. Most airlines have an online seating chart for their flights. Why not log on and check the seating chart. If it looks full then you have no worries. If the flight looks empty the airline will contact you about switching to an earlier flight.

Airlines cancel flights when no one is flying on the flight. Most airlines have an online seating chart for their flights. Why not log on and check the seating chart. If it looks full then you have no worries. If the flight looks empty the airline will contact you about switching to an earlier flight.

I have never heard of them NOT cancelling a full airplane, in fact, I believe it happens equally, full or not.

Why not try to take the earlier flight, instead of arriving late into the night.

Try www.bts.gov

It's the Bureau of Transportaion Statistics and under the "data" section for aviation you might find what you are looking for.

I've found that simply checking the reservation often online and contacting the airline immediately if a change is noted can work. At least you will find out with some warning time should the airline fail to call. I checked today on a flight for April and found the airline had taken away my assigned seats due to a plane change. I called and the issue was corrected.

You gotta love the airlines.

tenbylin.....

Howard came up with a great link.

Here is the link for looking at a specific flight number over a specified time period.

http://www.bts.gov/xml/ontimesummarystatistics/src/ddisp/OntimeSummarySelect.xml?tname=OntimeSummaryFlightData

I am a captain at American Airlines. If I can be of any assistance please ask.

Hope this helps.

Chris :)

I am a frequent flier on American Airlines and have been for many years.

They will and have canceled full flights. It has happened to us way more than once. I am a fanatic at checking my flights, seating and anything else related to a trip.

I am also the one who discovers that my plane is no longer in existence, that they changed the size of the plane and my seats are different, or gone, or it is leaving 4 hours later than originally booked..

I check the airlines websites all the time whenever I have flights booked no matter what airline I am flying. It is every airline doing this now, not just AA.

Keep checking until it is time to leave. ;)

tenbylin.....

Howard came up with a great link.

Here is the link for looking at a specific flight number over a specified time period.

http://www.bts.gov/xml/ontimesummarystatistics/src/ddisp/OntimeSummarySelect.xml?tname=OntimeSummaryFlightData

Hope this helps.

Chris, this is exactly what i was looking for....check the month of August for last year and there were only 2 cancelled flights.....thanks for this info.:)

I am a frequent flier on American Airlines and have been for many years.

They will and have canceled full flights. It has happened to us way more than once. I am a fanatic at checking my flights, seating and anything else related to a trip.

I am also the one who discovers that my plane is no longer in existence, that they changed the size of the plane and my seats are different, or gone, or it is leaving 4 hours later than originally booked..

I check the airlines websites all the time whenever I have flights booked no matter what airline I am flying. It is every airline doing this now, not just AA.

Keep checking until it is time to leave. ;)

Thanks for the info.....i will keep checking once a week until it gets closer to the time i leave....i also am going on the navigator...august 12th...i check the link that dr evil posted... i did a query for the month of august 2005 to see how many flights were cancelled....there were only two...so that makes me feel a little better although i will be checking every week.....

Thanks for the info.....i will keep checking once a week until it gets closer to the time i leave....i also am going on the navigator...august 12th...i check the link that dr evil posted... i did a query for the month of august 2005 to see how many flights were cancelled....there were only two...so that makes me feel a little better although i will be checking every week.....

Please do that. It is so important to keep checking on each and every part of your flights.

Check your connecting flights too. They once changed our connecting flight by having it leave an hour earlier than originally scheduled. That gave us 10 minutes to make the next one in the Los Angeles airport. If you know that airport, it was impossible. :mad:

tenbylin.....

Hope this helps.

What if your airline is not listed on this site? :confused: We're flying Midwest Airlines (the old Midwest Express). Any ideas how to check cancellations? On-time is not really an issue unless they are 20 hours late! Thanks for the help.

I'm not sure why Midwest is not on that list. But if you look closely you will see several airlines that are not in business today. It seems that the government may need to update this list.

I'm glad the link was useful to some. Howard was the person who originally came up with it. I had never seen the site before yesterday. Thanks Howard.

Just a word of advice.....

Always research your options for alternative travel before going to the airport. A lot of times the agents will not automatically put you on another airline, even if it is the most convenient thing to do.

When we go somewhere, I usually know 3 or 4 other ways to get to our destination in case something goes wrong. This is mostly because we non-rev. But it helps revenue passengers as well. You don't have to spend much time researching to get a couple of alternatives (connecting vs. non-stop, etc)

Just a word of advice.....

Always research your options for alternative travel before going to the airport. A lot of times the agents will not automatically put you on another airline, even if it is the most convenient thing to do.

When we go somewhere, I usually know 3 or 4 other ways to get to our destination in case something goes wrong. This is mostly because we non-rev. But it helps revenue passengers as well. You don't have to spend much time researching to get a couple of alternatives (connecting vs. non-stop, etc)

This is great advice!

A few years ago, American cancelled the 2nd leg of my family's flight to San Diego about 4 hours before we were supposed to leave for the airport. The only alternatives the customer service rep would offer us were flights on Northwest or Continental that got us into San Diego 14 hours after we were supposed to get there originally. While they kept putting us on hold, I called my family and we all started to research (in the middle of the night) flights that would get us there when we needed to be there. Delta had not one but two flights that would get us to San Diego at around our original time. It wasn't until we mentioned we wanted on one of those flights that those flights "showed up" in American's computers. If we had just taken what American first said as true, we would've missed my Sister in Law's graduation.

I just check my flight for the 19 of feb. and the time has changed not by

much about 30mins.But before when I checked it about a month ago I

had seats. Now it does't show my seats.Does that mean my seats have

been changed to? I check to see if I could get a flight out on that day

so I could see the seat map and there were only a few seats left.and my

seat was not one of them. Does that mean I still have the same seats

I had a month ago?:D Iam flying on Northwest:confused:

Archived