??Why Cruise??

chaz cruiser

Hi All,

Here's another question for you all. Why did you choose to go on your first cruise? I believe once you have cruised once you fall into one of three groups: LOVED IT and can't wait for the next one; WAS OK but now you can say you have been there done that; HATED IT and never want to go again (I like to think this group is extremely small!).

My reason - my Nan was a seasoned cruiser who made it sound like such a great holiday. She was right and I fall into the first category!!

Cheers,

Chaz:)

PS I look forward to reading some of these responses!!!

Hi cahz, how are oyu?

In 1975 when I was almost 15, my parents decided to move back to England after living here for 4 & 1/2 years. They decided to go by ship rather than plane because we hadn't had a holiday in years and with the expense of moving back, it would be years before we had another one. This way we could have a 5 weeks holiday on the way. Well, I LOVED it. It was a pretty awkward age really because there was plenty for adults to do (over 18) and plenty for kids to do (under 12). Between the ages of 12 & 18, not a great deal to do. My sister & brother also fell into this age group. We met a lot of people our age & we actually complained to staff about not much to do so they ended up putting a few things on for teenagers after that. At one stage we went 11 days without seeing land. Anyway, it was a greta trip & that was when I decided I would do a cruise when I was older. I finally did one in 1986 on Fairstar & again had a ball. Better than the first time because of my age but I did like the 5 week trip (no - it wasn't too long). Due to getting married & having kids it's taken another 20 years but we're finally doing it. I think it will be our only family cruise (unless we win lotto) due to the expense & now that we would have to book 2 cabins. But I'm pretty sure DH & I will do it again when the kids are off our hands.

Long story I know, but you did ask:)

Karen

I too came over by ship from UK when I was 8,had a good time so went on a nostagia trip back on Fairstar many years later with the family. Husband falls in the last catergoryI'm afraid :( so leave him home now. As I hate driving holidays or ones where you stay at the same place and sit by the pool. I live at the beach at can sit on my own deck and see the sea so I want a different holiday. I like to see different places,meet people and have a laugh and no driving. Cruising is "Perfect" for all this. Also safe and acceptable when you are on your own.I am going with Daughter and Grandson this time her first as an Adult and his first time,so I am hoping they get hooked too! I want to see the Caribbean and Alaska !!!!!!! After the Med :eek: :eek: :eek:

We had decided to go on a relaxing holiday rather than a sightseeing holiday(our last big holiday was 6 weeks in italy, paris and england.

As we have to go in school holidays we checked out some prices, not even thinking about a cruise. Got a ton of brochures from TA and she suggested a cruise. Lucky for us there was one going when we wanted to travel plus they had a great deal.

It was cheaper for a 10 day cruise than to go just about anywhere else AND in school holidays.

We went , loved it and now going again next school holidays...

hi chaz cruiser. joined the family yesterday. we chose a cruise because it sounded so relaxing and reasonable price. we have booked for feb 2007. since I found this site I have been looking a lot.one question my envolope on side of forum page has an down turned arrow. have I done something wrong?Iam a computer novice. will start counting down for our cruise on 19th feb.

I hate to say it but I think the reason I went was jealousy!!!!:mad: In year 10 my best friend at the time went on a cruise with her family. 5 months before she left I heard nothing but cruise cruise cruise cruise cruise, and after she came back I heard nothing but cruise cruise cruise cruise cruise. And it was just bragging, not telling things of interest and showing photos. Needless to say, she is no-longer my best friend.

I would like to think that I would have gone on a cruise, even if my friend hadn't, but in the back of my mind, I think I just wanted to say - yeah, I've been on one too now. The friends I travelled with just went along with my idea.

Ever since watching the 'Love Boat' tv series I have wanted to go on a cruise. Went on the Fairstar in the 80's with a girlfriend and we had a ball. Hubby used to be an officer on passenger liners sailing UK to South Africa and Australia and he used to talk about cruising a lot. In 1996 we went on a Russian ship called the Karelya (not so good):eek: We loved our cruise on Pacific Princess and really looking forward to the next one, so I guess we are both hooked.:)

hi chaz cruiser. joined the family yesterday. we chose a cruise because it sounded so relaxing and reasonable price. we have booked for feb 2007. since I found this site I have been looking a lot.one question my envolope on side of forum page has an down turned arrow. have I done something wrong?Iam a computer novice. will start counting down for our cruise on 19th feb.

No, you haven't done anything wrong. It just means you have a post in this thread. If you place your curser on it, it will tell you.

Karen

My partner had been on 3 previous cruises before we met (2 on Fair Princess and one on Pacific Sky) and was already hooked, and since I got to hear so much about how much fun it was, etc, I agreed, cautiously, to going on a cruise when it was suggested.

I wasn't sure about it at first - and our first cruise together was a 7nighter on Pacific Sky, partially for budget reasons and partially because I was cautious about cruising and didn't want to go on a 12 night cruise and discover 2 days in that I didn't like it! Of course I fell firmly into the "Loved It" catergory, and 7 months later we went on a 12 nighter on Pacific Sun - and in 6 weeks time we're going on a 12 nighter on Pacific Star!

Kym

I went on my first cruise in 1976 on a Russion ship Feadore Sheliarpin (??sp). I was going to Qld with a friend but at the last moment she couldn't go, so a girl I worked with suggested I go on a cruise with her. Didn't think we'd get on a ship with 3 weeks notice buy we did. We weren't told that it was a Pensioners Cruise until we got on there and looked around. Couldn't work out why there were so many elderly folks and not a lot of youngies:( The girl I went with was a good friend so she went one way and I went the other. We met up a dinner only and chatted when we saw each other:) It was the funniest holiday, the oldies (not meaning to offend anyone) were great fun, they dressed up even when we had a Reverse Sexes night.:D Loved cruising ever since but because of life circumstances never got to cruise until 2002. Also always thought a family cruise would be out of our reach cost wise.

Taking half the family on a cruise in 2002 was the best family holiday we've had. The 2 kids loved it and have done another one in 2003. The last 2 years we've been to the USA instead but have always missed not doing a cruise. Felt like we'd missed out on something by not cruising:( .

We LOVE:p cruising and want to do the so many more.

Kerri

Hi Chas,Hubbie and I went on our first cruise in1986(Fairstar) for 3 weeks.5 Mins out of Sydney I started throwing up and ended up in the hospital,needles etc.I was 2 months pregnant so that didnt help the seasickness:eek:.It has taken me 20 years to get the courage up to try again and I am presuming the straits of Malacca are much calmer than the South Pacific.So 5 children later,we are all going ,as we feel this is the best holiday for our family.With most holidays it is hard find things that suit the 19 year old down to the 8 year old.So we think they will all be happy with the range of things cruises have to offer.I will go prepared in case the mal de mer returns!:eek: Pippa

Hi Chaz, (and all other readers),

This will be our first cruise, and our first family international holiday. We booked this as we have a doctor on board (our son has special needs), and this just offers us peace of mind. Also we (hubby and I), and the children all lead very busy lives where we are going to learn how to relax. I know that sounds stupid, but we rush so much each and every day that we are not sure hos to eat slowly anymore and just enjoy sitting and watching the world go by. So relaxing is a big goal of ours........ I'm annoyed that the massges are soooo expensive, as we were looking forward to one of those on the first day so that we were deknotted for the trip. Oh well....

The price was also a great factor as it makes it really cheap (ish) to have a holiday.

I'm annoyed that the massges are soooo expensive, as we were looking forward to one of those on the first day so that we were deknotted for the trip. Oh well....

Hi Smurfette,

If you want a reasonably priced massage try the Frangipanni head & shoulders massage. They normally do it in the Salon and it was only $29 for about 30 minutes. It is fantastic!!! Keep an eye out for specials too. If you have it done on a port day morning sometimes they offer a 20% discount.

Also they usually hold a draw at the Lotus spa on embarkation day. On the Star the entry form was in the cabin when we got on. On the Sun the entry forms were at the Spa. Worth checking it out, someone has to win!! On our cruise on the Sun in Sept Suey (another poster who is my Mum) won a massage worth over $100 and on the Star in Jan I won a hairdo worth over $80...

Cheers,

Hi Chaz,

My husband & I had often talked of doing a cruise 'when the kids had left home', mainly due to the expense, & it seemed that most of our family & many of our friends had already experienced the delight.."Oh you'd just LOVE it" sort of remarks often drifting our way. We were half way through planning a self drive holiday in Tassy when P&O began their recent advert. blitz with cheap fares. After doing a few calculations I checked with the TA (as I couldn't believe how cheap it was in comparison to a tour of Tassy), & after getting the nod,(plus the obligatory "Oh you'd just love it.."), the decision was made! I'm sure we will fall into the first category...no cooking, (hubby's a chef), no washing up, (I'm the dishwasher who married a chef!), meeting so many cheery people PLUS possibly not seeing our cherrubs for at least a couple of hours each day....hey, what do you reckon?!:D Can't wait!

Cheers!

Chaza knows my story both her mother and I came on the sister ship to the Fairstar The Fairsea(1967) and if you had asked Suey after the first couple of weeks on board she would have said no way she was so ill for ages,but you would not guess now.She is a great cruiser(with the help of Kwells)

But after just a week out the purser asked me to work as a nurse on board as the average age of the passagers was 12 and they brought every thing on board with then and the hospital could not cope boy that was when my trip to Australia improved hot and cold running sailors and me sweet 17 never had such a great time and got payed for it.

Hi Smurfette,

If you want a reasonably priced massage try the Frangipanni head & shoulders massage. They normally do it in the Salon and it was only $29 for about 30 minutes. It is fantastic!!! Keep an eye out for specials too. If you have it done on a port day morning sometimes they offer a 20% discount.

Also they usually hold a draw at the Lotus spa on embarkation day. On the Star the entry form was in the cabin when we got on. On the Sun the entry forms were at the Spa. Worth checking it out, someone has to win!! On our cruise on the Sun in Sept Suey (another poster who is my Mum) won a massage worth over $100 and on the Star in Jan I won a hairdo worth over $80...

Cheers,

Thanks Chaz,

That has given me some hope again. I was really disappointed when someone posted the prices. It was one real luxury I was waiting for......:)

Archived