Solo Traveller Dining Options

ed the dog

I have always cruised with my late husband on a select fare (to ensure that we had Freedom Dining), but I am about to book my first cruse as a solo traveler.

My question is, as a solo traveler, do people think I would be better with set dining, rather than freedom, I would love to hear opinions from solo travelers, with experience of either.

Thank You  

Edited by ed the dog
spelling error

Hi. I often travel solo on cruises and much prefer Freedom dining. It is much more flexible and you can meet different people if you wish, or meet up with new friends who you may meet along the way during the cruise. It was a bit daunting the first time I did it but I love it now. I usually join the  Roll Call and also have joined in on the solo table for the afternoon tea in the restaurant. I hope you enjoy yourself.....of course it will be different but stay positive and you will meet some lovely new friends. 

3 hours ago, ed the dog said:

I have always cruised with my late husband on a select fare (to ensure that we had Freedom Dining), but I am about to book my first cruse as a solo traveler.

My question is, as a solo traveler, do people think I would be better with set dining, rather than freedom, I would love to hear opinions from solo travelers, with experience of either.

Thank You  

I've always opted for set dining. I've felt that, being on my own, it would be a bit daunting to have different table companions every evening. Also on recent cruises, P&O have always allocated me to a table of all solo travellers, which has been nice. It means you don't get left out of the conversation, as can happen when all the others on the table are couples.

• Like 2

I too also go for fixed dining, and ask for a large table of solo travellers. It avoids the boring introduction talk (how many, done this one before etc) every night. And the patronising comments (how brave etc) and getting left out of conversations when the rest of the table is composed of couples. And most likely you'll have someone else whose evening plans coincide with your own. And if not, it is easy to find a single seat in a good position in the theatre. 

• Like 1

I've done a number of cruises solo since my partner died in 2012. I am a fairly outgoing person but the thought of having to meet a new set of people at dinner every night would put me off completely. I too have usually been placed on a table of all solos, which works out really well. Invariably some of us usually go off to the theatre after dinner and sometimes arrange to meet for a pre-dinner drink. It is horses for courses and there is no right answer but if I couldn't get club dining, I wouldn't book.